New collector - tips please!

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
R32Dave

New collector - tips please!

Post by R32Dave » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 am

Hey folks from sunny(for now!) London UK...

I've recently started collecting 1:64 die cast cars and was looking for some strategic buying tips.
I am looking to build a collection over the next few years(I'm only a youngster at 33 that can build in value over the long term. Having said that, I plan on having fun with it and don't want to lose sight of the fact I'm doing it because of my lifelong love of cars.
Looking at the tips out there, I was looking at starting by building up a collection of:
- Le Mans, Indy 500, Formula One winning cars.
- at same time focusing on a 'premium' brand - I've chosen Porsche, started collecting a couple of 356's and working my way through to present-day
- Buying the odd classic that catches my eye

I know its a bit hit and miss and it is a fluid market but what are the best strategies to build a solid collection and find decent deals?
So far I've just been trawling the web for deep discounts(Minichamps,Brumm, Diecast Legends, Ixxo etc). Ebay looks pretty user friendly - is there benefit in watching Auction prices over a period of time to pick up deals?
My budget suggests that most of my purchases are between £10-£40 price range. I would love to get hold of some of those more expensive ones but I just can't warrant spending the money on them(yet).
I chose the 1:43 scale purely for storage purposes.

Anyway, plenty of questions there - I'd really appreciate any feedback and guidance.

PS: THIS IS A CUT AND PASTE FROM A PREVIOUS FORUM WEBSITE THAT I GOT NO RESPONSE FROM - I'M HOPING FOR SOMETHING FROM THIS ONE! SINCE STARTING MY COLLECTION, I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT SUPPLEMENTING MY PORSCHE AND LE MANS WINNERS COLLECTION WITH A COLLECTION OF CARS DRIVEN BY THE ONE AND ONLY JUAN MANUAL FANGIO - I'M TRAWLING THROUGH EBAY AT THE MOMENT, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON SPECIFIC SUPPLIERS TO LOOK OUT FOR IN THIS REGARD?

Thanks

Dave

[KRAFTIG]

Re: New collector - tips please!

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:55 am

Hello Dave, welcome to DS!

I don't collect 1:64 so my thoughts are based on preferred scale 1:18. First collection what you like best, if you're in the hobby to gain $$ as future value then stop collecting. I would try a stick to 1-2 themes tops anything more will snowball into endless purchases. Someone people are okay with that.

Networking of deals is a good start, and joining a community like ares is great idea too. I usually find good deals with fellow collectors as they usually understand the "true" value. Local classifieds are a great option too, My last resort is eBay. Though on occasion you will find an good value auction sale or BIN, but most of the listings are ridiculous when it comes to starting price. Its been a nasty trend there In my opinion over the last few years.

Good luck!

Return to “New Member Introductions”