REVIEW: Davis & Giovanni F40 Competizione vs BBR F40 LM 1:18

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
RVAE34

REVIEW: Davis & Giovanni F40 Competizione vs BBR F40 LM 1:18

Post by RVAE34 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

I decided to go ahead and do a comparison review of the BBR Ferrari F40 LM (shown in white) vs. the Davis & Giovanni Ferrari F40 Competizione (shown in red). At first glance, both are very similar but the D&G easily wins for best overall model. Now that being said, the D&G is also quite a bit more expensive.

The little details are what set the D&G so much further ahead than the BBR. The rear side vents are just painted black holes on the BBR. On the D&G, there is more recess with actual mesh in them. The upper rear bonnet cooling vents are actually cut out on the D&G where as they are just recess on the BBR. The interior is more detailed on the D&G as well. The carbon Kevlar is beautifully replicated throughout the floor on the D&G but only part of the BBR interior has it. The engine bay looks more detailed on the D&G as well but not by much.

Surprisingly I do feel that the BBR did a better job on the wheels, the dash material and the round headlights but everything else is inferior to the D&G. The BBR also has a much nicer base/display. The leather has gorgeous monikers which were embossed. The leather stitching is better too but these are minor details.

Both models have a beautiful finish to them and honestly, I could be convinced that they were both made by the same company and rebranded. Lots of extremely close similarities and both are breath taking models. They are also both very limited and very expensive but if you are an F40 nut like I am, you will have no problem spending the money. I have been daily searching for a quality LM and/or Competizione for many years and couldn’t be happier that these both became available this year. Prior to this, no one has made a proper 1:18 version of either. I never felt that the Kyosho warranted the price and the LM missed the mark by only having the wheels, wing and slide windows but opted out of the hood vent and round lights.

I have also ordered the Amalgam 1:18 stock F40 which should be mighty impressive. I plan to do a review of that one as well but will not compare to these since it’s a different version.

In reading some other reviews, I feel mine lacks some substance so I intend to follow up with some more photos of the details to highlight the differences etc.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: REVIEW: Davis & Giovanni F40 Competizione vs BBR F40 LM

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 01, 2017 12:14 am

Thanks for the review! They both look great by the photo perspective. Once you add the detailed images and elaborate in text I will publish this review. TIA!

RVAE34

Post by RVAE34 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Here are a whole bunch of photos of each.

The Davis & Giovanni excels in paint, overall interior detail, side view mirrors, body vent detail, front lip detail, toe hooks, roll bar and area behind seats, overall fit and finish. Downfalls on this one are the wheels mainly. I feel like they could have been much more detailed. The rear engine cover "glass" is a tad too thick and makes the engine harder to see. Headlights are very generic where as the BBR almost look real.

The BBR excels in wheel detail by far. Crisper lines and it includes valve stems. The dash finish looks better in this one as well. The rear window is thinner which makes the engine more visible. The headlights look extremely realistic. I prefer the clear sliding window hardware on this one to the alum used on the D&G. Downfalls include the following. Some of the paint on the black body lines isn't perfect, rear trim looks a little bowed and the side mirrors are very basic. The vents are painted black and not cutout. Wheel arches don't look quite as round as the D&G. There is no grill behind the hood ducting either.

Overall both are fantastic models. I wish I could combine the best parts of each into one but I am happy to own them both. The BBR is much cheaper so it's probably a better value. But for anyone who is a stickler for the Competizione like I am, the D&G is a must have.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Great pictures! I have the white F40 too and love it. Very happy with it. I wish I could afford the D&G model! One thing I wish BBR did was go with black wheels instead. I think that contrast would look much nicer.

johnhel

Post by johnhel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:45 am

I want bbr to make it diecast just like the Enzo...

Return to “Model Reviews”