REVIEW: Laudoracing-Models Fiat Uno Turbo i.e.

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: Laudoracing-Models Fiat Uno Turbo i.e.

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:11 pm

This month we feature another model from the team at Laudoracing-Models, the car reviewed today is the Fiat Uno Turbo i.e. The Fiat Uno began life in 1983, a car considered by some as the “supermini”. Since its introduction there have been almost nine million Uno’s produced. Ranking the Fiat Uno as number 8th on the all-time list of production cars, right behind such icons as the Volkswagen Beetle, and Ford Model T. The Uno Turbo i.e. is powered by 1.3l motor producing 105 horsepower and 108 lb•ft. Production for the Turbo variant ran from 1985–1990.

The model we have here from Laudoracing-Models is a 1:18 scale, fully sealed, resin based. This Uno Turbo is a limited edition of 1000. Outside the car is painted in almost two-tone effect. Front and rear bumpers are black with heavy black decal work running down the lower-half of the car. The remainder of the car is finished in red. Both decal work and paint are very good throughout. Laudoracing-Models techniques for capturing the lines of the original and transferring to 1:18 scale seem to work, as photos studied of the 1:1 car seem to be spot on.

Front headlights and rear taillights show depth though the lower fogs on the front fascia could use a little more finesse. My model arrived with the passenger side taillight slight loose. A little CA Glue and the model was hundred percent within seconds. My only complaint on the exterior and one that I’ve see on a few resin models from various manufactures is the model isn’t balanced. Meaning the right rear tire on the Uno Turbo isn’t touching the ground. A minor infraction, but something Laudoracing-Models should press with the quality control team during production.

The wheels are executed nicely. Not much to see behind the rim at the bulky style of the “turbo” wheels does hide most of detail. Nice to see the Fiat logo found dead centre on each wheel.

Not much to see motor wise of storage wise as we know Laudoracing-Models are sealed. Though the undercarriage does simulate the under working by highlighting the transmission and exhaust. But for the most part it is quite sparse, and typical of a resin effort.

The interior is nicely appointed and does provide the sporty feel of the original. Stick shift and emergency brake lever add to the sport look as does the checked pattern seats front and rear. Nice job!

I got to hand to Laudoracing-Models for filling in the gap for classic European cars many other manufactures would otherwise ignore. Pre-production pricing on their assortment is less than 50 Euro, a bargain from where I’m sitting. Also much cheaper than the immediate competition from BBR’s – Top Marque Collectibles series. For any Euro fan or Fiat fan for that matter I think this one’s a must have. Enjoy the pics!

slartibartfast229

Re: REVIEW: Laudoracing-Models Fiat Uno Turbo i.e.

Post by slartibartfast229 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 am

This effort looks really nice. I owned two Fiat Unos - albeit the far more mundane 1.0 litre non turbo version. The engine was nicknamed 'Fire', and despite being so small, it was willing and economical. In contrast to the image many people have of Fiat, my cars were reliable and did not rust. Great fun to drive too.

As regards the dodgy wheel height issue, I had the same problem with my Otto rally BMW. I had to unscrew the chassis plate and adjust the passage points for the axle with a suitable craft file. (I also lowered the whole car while I was at it, since it has too high a ride height as supplied).

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 am

It is a shame. Most of these super-compact "pocket-rockets" did make it to North America. I personally have a love for them, I've owned two Golf GTI's under my tender - though not as compact or nibble as a Uno but you underlining theme is there.

Yes OttO was one of the companies I was referring to. I'm sure people have on experiences as well.

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 am

Is this the same model as those marketed by TopMarques? Laudoracing only offer the red option, TopMarques have a number of colour choices.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun May 04, 2014 12:34 pm

slartibartfast229 wrote:Is this the same model as those marketed by TopMarques? Laudoracing only offer the red option, TopMarques have a number of colour choices.
I don't know but the similarities between the two are striking, obviously the LRM being the better choice based on price.

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm

And that price difference is the reason I chose the Laudoracing version <g>. Red is fine as far as I'm concerned....

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 05, 2014 2:39 pm

slartibartfast229 wrote:And that price difference is the reason I chose the Laudoracing version <g>. Red is fine as far as I'm concerned....
Totally agree! :beer:

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:05 pm

My model arrived today, and I am impressed with the paint quality and finish. This is a subject that would normally be overlooked by the 'big' companies and is the first 1/18th scale Fiat Uno that I know of. It doesn't bother me in any way that it is 'non-functioning' in regard to operating features. The flush fitting windows that Otto and it's subsidiaries fit reduces the toy like appearance some diecast models give. Incidentally, bBurago also produced a very nice (reasonably accurate) 1/24th scale version - with opening doors!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed May 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Your only other option is BBR at double the price, also resin.

Return to “Model Reviews”