A Question about collecting

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
Canadian Wrench Head

A Question about collecting

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

I asked this question to KRAFTIG and he gave me his opinion but suggested I post it up here.......

just got something a wanna throw by you, in terms of collecting strategy.

From my short time collecting(and I mean short) I have been thinking about something. Is it wise to try to get on new models ASAP when they first come out. I mean I just bought the Mclaren F1 LM 1:18 new from TO Motorsports and I just have this hunch that once it is sold out it will be MUCH more difficult to acquire and the price will go up a little right off the bat.
Im just wondering if I should try to maintain a purchasing schedual for new models in order to get them. Of course I only buy the models that mean something to me. For example.....the new Auto Art Hennessy Venom GT in Carbon Black due out soon. Im just thinking that if I don't get this model when it comes out it will be hard to get later on and i may pay a bit more for it.

anyways, just looking for some strategies.........im just finding that getting some Hot Wheels Elite models is getting tough. 288 GTO, F40(red) F50(red) F430/Scuderia (red and blue) 360 Challenge Stradale are proving to be hard even on Ebay(unless I pay that modena motors guy 800 bucks each hahaha which isn't going to happen)
When the 458 Speciale and the Laferrari come out I'm getting them both in red and yellow. I have a funny feeling that these models will be hard to come by in the not to distance future and that i could have obtained those other Hot Wheels Elite models that I listed easily had I bought them new when they first came out.

anyways, lemme know what you think........are there any die Cast model shows/conventions in the area that would be good for finding rare models? Thanks like always for the advice

[KRAFTIG]

Re: A Question about collecting

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

One big thing that's changed in the hobby in the last 3-4 years are the production runs, they are a lot smaller, so the chance of getting one after the official release is some cases is little to none. Also manufacturers adjust their production runs and in some cases cancel models outright based on pre-orders...

I can't predict what models this will happen against, but anything RED from Ferrari is usually a sure bet. And usually if you wait there is no save story on the remaining stock unless the model is a real dog. My theory if the model is real important to you, I get it as soon as I can afford it...

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Get the new releases as soon as you can, but generally there's a 1-2 year period, depending on the model, and how desirable it is, where you'll be able to get it for a decent price. After that, you have to scour diecast websites overseas, and in canada (under "LINKS", for sold out models, and you may get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it. My strategy is I buy new releases, and if I have some extra money in between, I go for older releases that I missed. Sometimes there's a hunch, like with the F1 LM, you just KNOW that it will be crazy expensive once it sells out. Other times, it's not so clear, but generally those are niche models that have a cult following, like the Evo VI TME.

Having said that, if you missed a model, don't despair. Keep scanning local classifieds. If you check your Kijiji mobile app, it lets you search all across Canada, instead of just by province. Check Yahoo Japan, the websites under the links that I mentioned, Amazon (also US version), and chances are you'll find what you're looking for. Even if you don't, keep an eye on ebay and the actual auctions don't go as high as the "Buy it Now" listings. Some of the 288 GTOs are listed for 300-500, but I auctioned mine off for $260 I think. And if an auction goes higher than what you're willing to pay, don't worry, another will be along shortly.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 pm

ya i contemplated buying the F1 Lm for two weeks........but them i came to the conclusion that if I didn't get it now when it was cheaper and easier to find it would be a struggle later on..........ive had it for three days now and I can't keep my eyes off of it. love it!!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:04 pm

It's an awesome model and a must have for every collector. Congrats

Makinen

Post by Makinen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:10 am

StratosWRC wrote:It's an awesome model and a must have for every collector. Congrats
I second this! I only collect Rally Cars but I HAD to have this one. It stands out in my collection more than some Rally
Cars with all the bells and whistles.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm surprised that TOMotorsport still has the Mclaren F1 Lm for sale as of now.......If i only wold have know that it would be around at boxing day I would have waiting a saved 70 bucks. I thought for sure when they told me on the phone in late Nov that they only had 3 left, they would be gone within a week. Oh well, it least I have it.....unlike the White Porsche 959 that I was waiting until boxing day to get from TOMotorsport........it sold within the first hour of the xmas sales.....i just missed it DAMN!!!!!

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:53 pm

You just never know, its part of the fun I guess.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:59 pm

more like part of the EXPENSE lol!!!!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Canadian Wrench Head wrote:I'm surprised that TOMotorsport still has the Mclaren F1 Lm for sale as of now.......If i only wold have know that it would be around at boxing day I would have waiting a saved 70 bucks. I thought for sure when they told me on the phone in late Nov that they only had 3 left, they would be gone within a week. Oh well, it least I have it.....unlike the White Porsche 959 that I was waiting until boxing day to get from TOMotorsport........it sold within the first hour of the xmas sales.....i just missed it DAMN!!!!!
Talk to Derek about I'm sure he will help you out in some way :okay:

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:01 pm

another question.......what are the best places to buy from? So far Toronto Motorsport is doing nice for me. Where are the top places to look tho. Oh and I get Ebay already, however it frustrates me. The prices seem REALLY REALLY high and then I'm worried about how much ill pay for customs(could use some advice on this). Plus it always seems like the models are for sale from Europe

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Just message the sellers on ebay and ask them if they're willing to state a low value for customs. 9 out of 10 are willing to do this to get extra bids. As for toronto stores, tomotorsports is the best. Mini grid is too expensive. There's a seller on ebay called specialtydiecast and he's based in toronto. His name's John. Dealt with him before.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:11 pm

My searches 90% on eBay are from Canadian sellers unless I'm looking for a rare piece. Key is being patience, and model will turn up in due time at a fair price. Always look at the seller's feedback too.

Another good resource is Kijiji. Again patience is required to find the right piece.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm

specialtydiecast and he's based in toronto. His name's John. Dealt with him before.
John is a good guy, I've dealt with him before.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:19 pm

stop me if I'm wrong but didn't someone on here mention once about having someone come after the mfor tax evasion or something like that for getting a reduced customs fee??

Return to “General Discussion”