AUTOart Unveils New Composite Models – Alfa, Lambo, & AM

The latest in diecast headlines and DS website updates.
[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

As highlighted at the recent Shanghai Toy Fair AUTOart unveiled new photos of upcoming models featuring a composite base materials and opening bits. Three new models are on tap, the Alfa Romeo 4C (red), Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 FL2 (orange, matt white), and Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 (white). Based on the hand samples the model in my opion look a little off with maybe the exception of the Alfa 4C. Overall lines look bulky and without definition and paint is lack luster, which proves the end result to look cheap and toy like. The new series of models are expected on shelves in early Q1 2015. Opening price points are expected to be lower the performance series, around $100-$110CND.

I’m not sure what the reason is for going down this path? Where does this brand want to live? High-end of opening price point? We all know the challenges Minichamps are currently living through, no identity, poor execution, the list goes on… Also AUTOart went down this path before, though these models do feature opening parts the last experience was a failure to say the least. I guess collectors will vote with their wallets.

.: SEE MORE :.

StratosWRC

Re: AUTOart Unveils New Composite Models – Alfa, Lambo, & AM

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

I know what my vote will be.

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:21 am

StratosWRC wrote:I know what my vote will be.
+1

But the first samples were always looked bad. I don't -want to- think there's gonna be a downgrade of quality.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 am

Fulgura wrote: But the first samples were always looked bad. I don't -want to- think there's gonna be a downgrade of quality.
I don't either, especially that I want the Alfa 4C in my collection I want a true diecast version with all the bells and whistles that I've seen from their Performance or Signature series even though the 4C isn't made of metal :oops:

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote: I don't either, especially that I want the Alfa 4C in my collection I want a true diecast version with all the bells and whistles that I've seen from their Performance or Signature series even though the 4C isn't made of metal :oops:
Yes. I thought thr same thing about the Carrera GT two years before. I'm loving it because it's a supercar but if it wasn't one, i wouldn't buy that next to the other Signatures. Lets hope the 4C will look brilliant and beautiful just like other Alfas from Autoart :)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Fulgura wrote:
[KRAFTIG] wrote: I don't either, especially that I want the Alfa 4C in my collection I want a true diecast version with all the bells and whistles that I've seen from their Performance or Signature series even though the 4C isn't made of metal :oops:
Yes. I thought thr same thing about the Carrera GT two years before. I'm loving it because it's a supercar but if it wasn't one, i wouldn't buy that next to the other Signatures. Lets hope the 4C will look brilliant and beautiful just like other Alfas from Autoart :)
:fingercrossed: :fingercrossed: :fingercrossed:

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I already wrote something about it on another board. I'm not here to defend AUTOart's new strategy but to think about it. Let's face, they are no Minichamps.

We are all surprised by AUTOart's decision since they were the last manufacturer to be fully dedicated to diecast models. However, is this decision that surprising? In my opinion, no. They are monitoring the market, which changed a lot in the past few years. They are just following a trend, who can blame them for doing so? In some way, I can understand their decision because producing modelcars using diecast is a heavy process, probably more complicated than using plastic.

We, modelcars collectors, think that plastic is cheap but in other hobbies, they are thinking the other way around: diecast is cheaper. I must admit, the mixed material modelcars they were doing in the past feel somehow cheap, half baked. Although, we can list some advantages. By using plastic, we are avoiding the diecast cancer. It allows thinner pieces and sharper edges that diecast cannot achieve. For instance, this means (in theory) tighter shutlines. I'm not implying that plastic is better than diecast but it is a material well-known, used for almost everything.

I think plastic is all about compromises. We will probably loosing the weight, the cold diecast feel etc. But, in the end, my models always remain in the shelves and I don't feel them everyday. More importantly, will it look bad next to a diecast model? I don't think so. It will probably look as good, if not better if you ask me. With a price sets below the Performance series, I'm willing to give them a chance. Again, I wouldn't compare them to Minichamps just because of the opening parts. Minichamps' cause is lost.

My question is: do you prefer Kyosho new line or this one?

Fulgura

Post by Fulgura » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:23 pm

As you know, new line Kyoshos are gonna be very cheap, they will be everywhere next year. Especially the markets like my country; if the car is famous -todays BMWs, Lamborghinis etc.- and the price is cheap, there's nothing else matters. A Welly can be more attractive than a CMC or Autoart or else most of the time.

Me, i will always prefer the quality and opening parts. And the model has to have 'not too much expensive if it can't be cheap' price tag. But customers like me aren't much in here. And this question is very important: 'will it look bad next to a diecast model?' If the answer is 'yes', it's over for me. Will pursue the 'old but gold' ones and 1:50 scaled trucks.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 pm

David some great points.

But why does AUTOart have to follow the lead of others, take a stance, say no to composite. I'm okay with AUTOart being the mid premium brand, and paying the extra :money: :money: for the overall quality and execution. I also wonder if for instance the Alfa 4C will be produced in composite and diecast - be it Performance or Signature series to go along with composite?. I don't want to play the guessing game, as I've always said sealed resin are only place holders until a diecast version is available.

I flip side I do like that at least an effort is being made to include opening bits. I have one the Revell composite models from years past, and you know what it very good and features opening parts. My biggest concern is the exterior finish and toy-like appearance, let's hope the production models sort out all concerns. :fingercrossed:

What is the Kyosho line? What I've gather, resins, sealed models based on Fronti-Art engineering. Not much there :scratchhead: What is expected price point? Guarantee no where near GT Spirit!

David

Post by David » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:16 pm

@Fulgura: Kyosho's new diecast models won't come cheap as they will cost as much as AUTOart's new plastic line.

@Dave: In the end, AUTOart have the sales figures. They might have seen a decrease of their income. Or they just want to maximise their profilts. I don't know, it could be everything. But I read a lot of collectors complaining about the price and I do understand. On the other hand, you have AUTOart who is maintaining an insane release frequency with a lot of Signature series in it. Consequently, the market is constantly flooded and buyers cannot absorb it. We might add that some collectors aren't willing to spend for a better model as it's getting really expensive even for a Performance model.

Will they produce 2 4Cs in 2 different lines? I doubt it. I don't think they would bother. The difference between the two isn't worth the investment.

We just have to wait a few months and see how these new models will hold against our lovely diecast models.

Kyosho will release their own line of sealed diecast models. Their first release will be the Veneno.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Kyosho will release their own line of sealed diecast models. Their first release will be the Veneno.
I wonder if this is another FA collaboration, but it isn't specifically stated. They better be priced right less than $100CND or it will equal another fail! If OttOmobile and GT Spirit can do, why can they?

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm

My thoughts: Not cool AutoArt. Lame move. Start of their downfall.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Ah it's alright. They're good at changing their minds and correcting their mistakes. Got rid of their sealed line, right?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:45 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Ah it's alright. They're good at changing their minds and correcting their mistakes. Got rid of their sealed line, right?
True... But I suspect this time around its different. I hope I'm wrong :shame:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:22 pm

** UPDATED PICS HAVE BEEN ADDED **

Return to “Latest Diecast News and Site Updates”