It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 am

Maisto and Bburago Exclusive Ferrari License Agreement

The latest in diecast headlines and DS website updates.
  • Author

Gavin

Re: Maisto and Bburago Exclusive Ferrari License Agreement

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:I hope I eat my words :geek:

me too. :poke:

Gotta think positive! :fingercrossed:

damnyouebay

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm

I dont understand how this is positive. One thing is to not jump the gun and be negative (guilty, still guilty), but how is it a positive if the outcome is that the models will be similar to Hot Wheels Elite? That just means it will be a (hopefully) short period of growing pains, and then back at where we are now.

Unless Maisto and Bburago bought the licence together and plan to make the money back in volumes of crappy models at budget prices.

So basically its likely it will at best be like Hot Wheels Elite now, and possibly crap. But somehow that is great news?

Exclusive rights suck in general btw. :P

Gavin

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

damnyouebay wrote:I dont understand how this is positive.

So basically its likely it will at best be like Hot Wheels Elite now, and possibly crap. But somehow that is great news?

Exclusive rights suck in general btw. :P

I never said it was a positive (nor did anybody else, I believe)...I said think positive. There is a difference.

Obviously everyone has different expectations...I've been collecting 1:18's since 1982. I've been pretty happy with every Hot Wheels Elite model I've bought (& happy with the pre-Elite models at the time). The recent batch of Hot Wheels Elite are very well done models for substantially less retail price than AUTOart, KY or Minichamps.

Exclusive rights do suck...I can't argue with that. Competition is good & generally improves the product.

damnyouebay

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Sorry, Gavin, I was not referring to you specifically. Lucky13 writes that its "great news" in his first post.

Edit: I might have to point out that I have no issue with Hot Wheels Elite, I think they are good models, it just seems this deals best case scenario is status quo.

Lucky13

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 pm

I am with Gavin here, in many ways. I also collect models since the '80s. I started with Corgi 1/43. Damn I loved them James Bond cars……I always was happy with the models I got over the years. Bburago's F40 was a piece of artwork as far as models go, at the time it was introduced. And actually, to this day it is the most accurate shape of that car made. Yes, it has more authentic shape than the Kyosho. Shocker, right?
That exact car was released as a Hot Wheels in about 2000. Together with the 550 Maranello, 288 GTO, F50, Testarossa and pretty much the entire Bburago lineup. Some of them received some minor upgrades and others did not. But I remember the horror back then. Everyone predicted the doom of the hobby. How Ferrari collectors are done collecting. Oh, my, what are we going to do now that the Barbie doll makers have the Ferrari license. I was part of that group of people and I was freaking out too, as my collection is predominantly Ferrari. But guess what? Little by little they got their act together. They released a ton of new cars that nobody had dared release before them, some downright obscure subjects.
And today, some of their models are equal and in many cases superior to many "premium brands".
Hot Wheels Elite 250 California blows Kyosho's 250 GTO out of the water
Both Elite 458 Italia and F12 have more accurate shape and details than their BBR counterparts
Hot Wheels Elite 599XX destroys anything remotely close to its price range
The Hot Wheels Elite 355 is definitely better than the Kyosho one.
And in all of these cases the Elite models are offered and a third of the price of their rivals and in many cases a fifth of the price.

So, to address my comment that this is great news - it is. Because that license will always be exclusive. That is Ferrari's decision. And they do it because they know they can. They care about profit margins, not grown up man playing with toy cars.
Therefore the license being exclusive, the only variation we have on the contract are the alternative players. Maisto/Bburago, AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Welly/FX, Acme/GMP, Minichamps and the resin bunch.
Let's start with AutoArt. If they shelled the money for the most expensive license on the planet, we could have expected the California T at the level of their Murcielago for $300 and the LaFerrari at $650. Would I pay $600 for the LaFe at Zonda level? Maybe. But looking at my Hot Wheels Elite California and at my Murcie SV, I would take the Cali at $100 over the Murcie at $300 any given day. Besides I don't want to pay $50 higher price with every new model introduced.
Next, Kyosho Judging by their latest releases the quality and their prices, I would take Hot Wheels Elite's 355 at $80 any day of the week over the one from Kyosho at $300+. This is now. Imagine what would it be if they had the exclusive license. CMC prices at Hot Wheels Elite level detail. No thank you
Minichamps This is a company that has its roots in 1/43 and that is its main business. They are extremely hit or miss and lately done bonkers. What I would expect from them would be all the pretty old Ferraris (read anything before the '70s) to be sealed resin bricks at $500 a pop or more. And then having models like their Veyrons, which is in no way better than most Elites, at $300+. I don't know about anyone else, but I am not cool with this.
Acme/GMP First of all these guys have the American muscle car market cornered and they seem pretty content with that. Then their quality was/is questionable at best and their customer service was horrendous to the point of distributors refusing to work with them. Their 312P models were great (when they are not falling apart), but they were over $300 almost ten years ago. These guys are pretty much out of the question.
So, we are left with Norev, Bburago, Welly and the resin bunch. I'll address the resin bunch first, as it is simple. Do you want sealed brittle models with no detail for at least double the price of Elite? I didn't think so. Besides, I am sure they will still make models anyway.
Welly/FX have grown a lot. I have the pagani and a chrome Aventador from FX and I am quite happy with them. However they are both bellow Hot Wheels Elite level, but at the same price. I am sure that with the right management (read hiring MR models, like mattel did) they could get their act together. But how long would it take them and at what price?
Norev Now these guys, would be my number one choice. They have been in the diecast business before the AUTOart owner was in diepers. They have their own factory (which by the way does the production for AUTOart and who knows who else) and they have been very open minded towards working with other companies. Remember Hot Werks different Tuning projects? - Norev. I would not have been surprised to see Novitec and Oakley designs Ferraris under a different name like Hot Werks if they had the license. Of course that is a pipe dream, as Ferrari hates the tuners and would never let it happen. But Norev would have been some great models at very reasonable price. Oh, well…..
This leaves us with bburago They have been in business before all the others (save for Norev maybe) and had relations with Ferrari since the '70s. Maisto/Bburago own their factories, which believe it or not is the exception in the business, as pretty much all the companies our days have hired factories to make their parts. They can pick up exactly where Mattel have left and most importantly they can afford to keep the prices the same.
So, considering the alternatives, I really feel that it is indeed great news that Bburago got the license.

And then we are being selfish and don't look at the big picture. Ferrari is a business. It has one purpose and one purpose only - to make money. And with an exclusive license they need to target a market a lot bigger than model collectors. BAbies, toddlers, teenagers……The want and they need brand recognition. And they are doing pretty good over the years. It is the most recognized automotive brand in the world. They need their license holder to cover a lot bigger market than models collectors. And from all the model makers out there, the only ones that make anything from toy soldiers to kids play sets to model cars in many scales are Mattel and Maisto. From that point of view, I don't see how the license going from one to the other is any surprise.
I learned my lesson when I freaked out back when Mattel got the license and I am pretty confident that this is great news indeed.

[KRAFTIG]

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Gavin wrote:Obviously everyone has different expectations...I've been collecting 1:18's since 1982. I've been pretty happy with every Hot Wheels Elite model I've bought (& happy with the pre-Elite models at the time). The recent batch of Hot Wheels Elite are very well done models for substantially less retail price than AUTOart, KY or Minichamps.

Exclusive rights do suck...I can't argue with that. Competition is good & generally improves the product.

What he said :okay:

[KRAFTIG]

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Some good points Lucky13. I guess we need to be patience and play the wait and see game...

Everyone predicted the doom of the hobby. How Ferrari collectors are done collecting. Oh, my, what are we going to do now that the Barbie doll makers have the Ferrari license. I was part of that group of people and I was freaking out too, as my collection is predominantly Ferrari.

Ha ha history repeating itself.

StratosWRC

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest are very meh

Lucky13

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 5:37 am

StratosWRC wrote:I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest were very meh to me personally

Here you go. I fixed it for you.

[KRAFTIG]

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 8:44 am

Lucky13 wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest were very meh to me personally

:lol:

StratosWRC

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 am

Lucky13 wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest were very meh to me and many others

Fixed it some more.

Gavin

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 11:18 am

StratosWRC wrote:I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest are very meh

so the 458GT2, 599XX, 333SP....what are the other 2?

based on your comments about older AUTOart, KY & Minichamps models, which you haven't been overly happy with, I'd say you're extremely difficult to please.

[KRAFTIG]

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 am

Gavin wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:I have 13 ferraris in my collection and only 5 are from Hot Wheels Elite, one of which I customized. The only ones that I actually really liked were the 458 GT2 and the 599XX. The rest are very meh

so the 458GT2, 599XX, 333SP....what are the other 2?

based on your comments about older AUTOart, KY & Minichamps models, which you haven't been overly happy with, I'd say you're extremely difficult to please.

He is, buys and sells models like I go through toilet paper :D

StratosWRC

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 12:38 pm

FXX "super" elite and the 288 GTO that I got for $80.

Gavin

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 pm

both substantially older models, especially the 288GTO.

That's like judging AUTOart based on their 996 Carrera models, which were originally released as UT & Gate models....much like Hot Wheels Elite's 288GTO was Bburago's mold from the late '80's. :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Latest Diecast News and Site Updates