Maisto and Bburago Exclusive Ferrari License Agreement

The latest in diecast headlines and DS website updates.
[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 am

Well the rumors were ramped over the last several months as to how would obtain the exclusive Ferrari license based on Hot Wheels/Mattel agreement expiring at the end of 2014. The wait is over, Maisto and Bburago have been granted the license agreement officially as per Bburago’s website.

Is this a good or bad decision for the Ferrari brand? What are your thoughts? In my opinion I’ll truly miss the efforts from Hot Wheels Elite team, definitely the best bang for the buck in the diecast business today. A true loss…

“Hong Kong (November 2014)
The May Cheong Group Announces Exclusive Ferrari License Agreement

The May Cheong Group, manufacturers of the famous die-cast and radio control replica brands Maisto and Bburago, has announced the signing of an exclusive agreement with Ferrari. The multi-year deal , commencing January 2015, grants MCG the exclusive rights to manufacture and distribute Ferrari replicas throughout the world.

MCG has been manufacturing die-cast vehicle replicas for almost 40 years in their own factories, and have had an ongoing relationship with Ferrari for more than 25 years. Bburago, a die-cast brand from Italy that MCG acquired in 2005 and is celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2015, has an even longer history with Ferrari. The planned 2015 launch includes four ranges of products within the Bburago brand – Signature Series, Racing, Race and Play, and Ferrari Kids. More than 100 cars will be launched prior to the middle of next year. Additionally, Maisto will continue to offer Ferrari model kits, radio control products, as well as other die-cast replicas.

“We are extremely pleased and humbled that we were able to reach this agreement with Ferrari, the preeminent automobile brand in the world,” said Roger Ngan, C.E.O. of MCG. “For 47 years our company has been laying the groundwork, establishing a worldwide distribution network, creating state of the art factories and, most importantly, developing strong relationships that enable us to produce fantastic die-cast replicas. We look to do even more in the coming years.”
More news regarding the products, including scale, titles, and availability, will be available on the Bburago website

More news regarding the products, including scale, titles, and availability, will be available on the Bburago website http://www.bburago.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; later this year.
About The May Cheong Group

The MAY CHEONG GROUP is a collection of affiliated companies working together to create innovative toy and replica products. The Maisto brand name was registered in 1990 by May Cheong, a vertically integrated manufacturer based in Hong Kong. The Bburago brand was acquired in 2005. MCG employs over 7,500 employees worldwide and maintains their own manufacturing facilities covering over 2,000,000 square feet. For more information, visit them at http://www.maisto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://www.bburago.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and follow them at https://www.facebook.com/BburagoCollezione" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, https://www.facebook.com/MaistoToys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and http://www.twitter.com/maistotoys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.”

.: SEE MORE :.

damnyouebay

Re: Maisto and Bburago Exclusive Ferrari License Agreement

Post by damnyouebay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:06 pm

:shame:

On a side note the Hot Wheels Elite models should see a value increase once the market is flooded with average at best models.

So these licences are restricted to diecast only or what? Since guys like BBR are pumping out resins like there is no tomorrow, or are they "renting" the rights from Hot Wheels?

Porsche is well known for being douches like Ferrari when it comes to car licences in racing sims, I know Forza had to pay EA Games (Need for Speed) to use Porsches, since EA have been holding an exclusive deal for a while, while the more hardcore simulators with lower budgets usually go for RUF.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm not sure what the structure of the deal is, only time will tell... My worst fear is I now have no affordable and detailed source for new and upcoming Ferrari releases. Nothing against the brands, but they are more toy than collectible. Is there a game plan to drive another segment in their assortment that is on par or better than Hot Wheels Elite or will we have a void between $100 - $125 mark? Again only time will tell. Huge loss if you ask me :shame:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Lucky13 some good points, and it seems you have a little more information that the average Joe... People don't like change and higher price LOL...
It would be only natural if they pick up where Hot Wheels Elite has left off, like it has always happened before.
Yes it would, but my worst fear is sub-par models. Still I'm hoping for the best.

Is Signature actually new? I thought they already utilized the tier, am I wrong?
But I believe AND HOPE that few years down the road we are all going to be happy that Bburago got the license.
I sure hope that is the case :fingercrossed:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I agree with lucky13 on this...yeah, traditionally, maisto/bburago have been nothing to get overly excited about, but if they keep models at the same level as HW did, I'll be happy.

Lets wait & see what they do.

I may have missed it, but what 4 models have they announced?

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:20 pm

The word "signature" is getting me intrigued.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Lucky13 wrote:Thinking about it, they may throw us a curve ball and do it in an all new way, where we have models that are bellow Elite level and above the foundation for about $100 and then sublet the license to someone like Kyosho for the high end stuff.
I can live with Kyosho if they get their act together and back to their roots! :deal:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Lucky13 wrote:
Gavin wrote:I may have missed it, but what 4 models have they announced?
458 Speciale
LaFerrari
California T "open"
California T "closed"………whatever open/closed is supposed to mean
Now can you guess the last four models Hot Wheels Elite had announced working on? 8-)
Nice. Why is LaFerrari on the list, new variants?

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:23 am

Lucky13 wrote:
458 Speciale
LaFerrari
California T "open"
Now can you guess the last four models Hot Wheels Elite had announced working on? 8-)
Nice list...I wanted all 3 when they were going to be Hot Wheels Elite. I'll be just as happy with Bburago Signature, if they're at Hot Wheels Elite level.

Open would be no roof, closed with roof...my guess.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Gavin wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:
458 Speciale
LaFerrari
California T "open"
Nice list...I wanted all 3 when they were going to be Hot Wheels Elite. I'll be just as happy with Bburago Signature, if they're at Hot Wheels Elite level.

Open would be no roof, closed with roof...my guess.
Agreed, but honestly I don't have faith it will be. I hope I eat my words :geek:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:I hope I eat my words :geek:
me too. :poke:

Gotta think positive! :fingercrossed:

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm

I dont understand how this is positive. One thing is to not jump the gun and be negative (guilty, still guilty), but how is it a positive if the outcome is that the models will be similar to Hot Wheels Elite? That just means it will be a (hopefully) short period of growing pains, and then back at where we are now.

Unless Maisto and Bburago bought the licence together and plan to make the money back in volumes of crappy models at budget prices.

So basically its likely it will at best be like Hot Wheels Elite now, and possibly crap. But somehow that is great news?

Exclusive rights suck in general btw. :P

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

damnyouebay wrote:I dont understand how this is positive.

So basically its likely it will at best be like Hot Wheels Elite now, and possibly crap. But somehow that is great news?

Exclusive rights suck in general btw. :P
I never said it was a positive (nor did anybody else, I believe)...I said think positive. There is a difference.

Obviously everyone has different expectations...I've been collecting 1:18's since 1982. I've been pretty happy with every Hot Wheels Elite model I've bought (& happy with the pre-Elite models at the time). The recent batch of Hot Wheels Elite are very well done models for substantially less retail price than AA, KY or Minichamps.

Exclusive rights do suck...I can't argue with that. Competition is good & generally improves the product.

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Sorry, Gavin, I was not referring to you specifically. Lucky13 writes that its "great news" in his first post.

Edit: I might have to point out that I have no issue with Hot Wheels Elite, I think they are good models, it just seems this deals best case scenario is status quo.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Gavin wrote: Obviously everyone has different expectations...I've been collecting 1:18's since 1982. I've been pretty happy with every Hot Wheels Elite model I've bought (& happy with the pre-Elite models at the time). The recent batch of Hot Wheels Elite are very well done models for substantially less retail price than AUTOart, KY or Minichamps.

Exclusive rights do suck...I can't argue with that. Competition is good & generally improves the product.
What he said :okay:

Return to “Latest Diecast News and Site Updates”