Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Glenn E. Rose from Stratford, Ontario, Canada.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
Living on a farm when I was young, I started with a lot of sandbox toys, then I moved up to a great Hot wheels collection of cars and race track. Then with a drivers licence I owned a 1965 Chevy Malibu street strip car, after that I started collecting model cars and tractors in the 1990’s. As of today, I have 149 model cars and some other things in the collection.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My Ferrari collection started in the mid 1990’s, my first models where Bburago’s.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
1:18th scale, not to big – not to small with good detail.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
Ferrari’s of course – 250 GT SWB, CMC and 1990 – 641 – F1, Exoto.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Ferrari 246F1 Exoto $$$.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
No real favorite, as long as it is 1:18, good detail and priced right.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
Ferrari collection, if you did not ques already, would like a car for each year Ferrari is in production, Formula-1 and Street. In addition, I have scenic displays that I like to do, shop display – garage display – show display – outdoors display. In addition, to top it off, I have all the Ferrari Barbie dolls and the Michael Schumacher Doll.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Absolutely, what is a collection if you cannot appreciate and see it, I have a room, The kids and wife call it “Dad’s Room”, I have wall displays (10 total), a built in display for the F1 cars ( that can be seen from both sides, wreck room and dads room )and an old antique library bookcase.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
I have loved the automotive seen my whole life (Formula 1 – Nascar – Drag Racing), car shows are a passion now.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
I feel the diecast hobby is still thriving and the manufacturers are doing the best they can with the quality and price.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Keep up the quality of the product with the right price so the average collector can afford, and produce more 1:18 Formula 1 models, please.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No, but I will buy modified models, 1992 FERRARI 348 COUPE EVOLUTION II TB “Koenig Version”.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
Well she did let me build this amazing room in our house, and still lets me purchase models for the collection, so I think it is okay.
14) What is your daily driver?
I drive a 2002 Saturn SC1 as my daily driver, but my weekend car is a 1993 Firebird.