Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Raoul Poïnapin from La Réunion, France.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I started because I’m a car enthusiast. I have been collecting since September 2000. I have a total of 600 cars today.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My first diecast car is a 1999 Ford Focus RS WRC (Action 1:18).
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
My favourite scale is 1:18 because I’m impressed with the details, and with the time going on, my sight is getting worst so 1:18 is just perfect.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
I don’t have a favourite model, I love all my cars in the same way. They are all special to me.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
The Jargemeister 934 from EXOTO because it is too expensive for me, so I’m planning to buy the one from Schuco.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
I like AUTOrt for the accuracy of the details and through the years it gets better and better. I also like Spark and OttOmobile because it’s very affordable and the quality of their models is at a pretty good standard.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I don’t have a specific theme. I’ve got cars from various countries and championships and it goes from V8 Supercars to JGTC-GT500. I also have rally cars and young timer cars like the Mk1 Golf GTI or the 205 GTI and muscle cars.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
I’ve got a special room for my collection, and I’ve got some cars displayed in my office.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
My passions and hobbies are linked to cars. For instance I like to follow rally events or cars gathering in my region with my sons. In my family, we like motorsport a lot, and we follow with passion Formula 1, MotoGP and WRC.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
It is hard for me to have a thought on the diecast hobby today because I live on the Reunion Island and this hobby is still growing here but it’s easy to share the passion with my friends, family and colleagues.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
I do think that it has become too expensive. For instance today I buy 15 cars a year, and in 2005 I bought about 50 cars.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
Yes I mostly modify their height and the way they sit, but in the respect of the era of the car and with period correct wheels.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
She has always accepted and she even comes with me when we are at events like”Le Mondial de la Miniature” in Paris.
14) What is your daily driver?
I own a 2004 Mk1 Focus RS which I drive on the weekends. I’d like to keep it stock and maybe someday I’ll add a Sierra RS Cosworth and an Escort RS Cosworth to my garage.