The Official TOP GEAR Thread!!!

Everything not diecast related; and yes that includes the kitchen sink!
Kwando

Re: The Official TOP GEAR Thread!!!

Post by Kwando » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:04 am

It appears that the rest of the season has been canned. :shame:

Luckily Forumla 1 starts back up this weekend and Game of Thrones is right around the corner.

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 pm

I guess where this leaves Top Gear now is dependent on Producer Oisin Tymon. If it were me I would give them a pair of boxing gloves each, and put them in the ring for three rounds. When Clarkson was released from hospital I would expect him to apologise in person and buy the beer.....

Post by 458 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:35 pm

The Beeb arnt that silly, this will bed resolved soon. Taxpayers money.

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Well folks, it's official - Clarkson will not be returning to Top Gear. Really sad to see him go but I agree with the decision. He's not above the BBC's Code of Conduct and I don't think there could be any other possible recourse after physically assaulting an employee.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... ntract-bbc

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:13 pm

The BBC might try a clever trick - allow the production of the show to be carried out by an independent company. Many of the programmes carried these days are by outsourced firms. The BBC also co-produces some of it's stuff in conjunction with other broadcasting organisations. Dara O Briain and Ed Byrne are to be seen in a new show about driving through South America following in the tyre tracks of a 1940's American team of adventurers. Most of the production team are by Irish state broadcaster RTE. Just think of the possibilities of an Irish television company making Top Gear for the beeb.....

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:36 pm

It's a sad day but I agree with Kwando concerning JC's behaviour. It's double sad because they had such a strong season. The last few years I was disappointed in the TG episodes and wondered several times if it would be the last season, but as they said in their live presentation they were going back to the roots of TG. And they didn't disappoint.
So what's next? I was looking forward to the coming episode because they had a challenge with 3 classic convertibles. I wonder if the BBC keeps it on the shelf or will make a special with the already recorded stuff. BBC now has to find 3 new presenters, question is if the format will be changed. And what happens with the three musketeers? Are the relations disturbed or is there still enough chemistry to make new programs as if nothing happened? If so we should soon see a new car program on Sky or ITV (at least the UK viewers, I can't watch commercial UK networks).

Post by 458 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Only JCs contract was up this month. May & Hammond are still under contract. I can see all 3 going to ITV & make a new show called whatever. Huge uproar in the UK, I can see people not paying their licence lol.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Kwando wrote:Well folks, it's official - Clarkson will not be returning to Top Gear. Really sad to see him go but I agree with the decision. He's not above the BBC's Code of Conduct and I don't think there could be any other possible recourse after physically assaulting an employee.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... ntract-bbc
Yes absolutely agree. They can't set a precedent, though it would be funny :lol:

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Small update. The BBC are still showing old repeats of the show. Listed for this evening is Series 15 episode 1. (Clarkson has fun driving three wheelers). It's hard to think of a natural replacement for the Orangutan. I wonder if he gets paid for repeats?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Ya good question, I would say he does. :money: :money:

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:59 am

For those interested, the BBC have said the stuff which was already filmed up until the plug was pulled will be shown at some point. No details other than that.....

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:32 am

I read they will use the already filmed material to produce 3 shows that will be shown after the summer.

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

The BBC should offer Clarkson a zero hour minimum wage contract with no pension or employee rights, and an option for instant dismissal. Since he's a conservative I'm sure he'll appreciate the irony.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:50 pm

apparently there may be a new top gear in the works for netflix, with the original 3, plus the producer

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:10 am

Probably the main reason Top Gear has been so successful since the re-vamp is that the BBC is not a commercial channel in the usual sense. If the 'three Stooges' don't like something, there is no need to worry about upsetting sponsors or advertisers.
They can say what they like - within reason, so long as it doesn't stray outside company guidelines. I can't see any possibility for the programme to exist in any other environment. Top Gear USA is the perfect example of what will need to happen if Sky/Fox/Itv want to take over. It will stink and then sink.

Return to “Off Topic”