Paint to Sample

Everything not diecast related; and yes that includes the kitchen sink!
DisposableApple

Paint to Sample

Post by DisposableApple » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 pm

For those who don't know, paint to sample is a program allowing the customer to order his car in a special color, even ones from other manufacturers. Porsche and BMW are especially big on it. I'd like to share my favorites with you.

Ocean Jade Metallic is my all-time favorite by Porsche. I didn't have to read the description to realize the color was from the first generation Boxster I recall from my childhood. In my opinion this is the best color for the 986 and I was delighted that this color was reincarnated on the outgoing model.Image

Black Blue is my favorite by BMW. I love unique solid colors.
ImageImage

Last but not least, this is not an example of paint to sample but I love it too much to not include in this post. This is not how it came out of the factory as Ferrari refused to paint his car in this shade called Flugplatz Blue. I think it's an Aston Martin color.
There you have it. Reply with your favorite(s) if you have any :love:

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Paint to Sample

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:34 pm

I think the option is brilliant, give the customer what they want! I personally don't have any one single colour I appreciate the most. To be honest, I never given it much thought. In relation to scale models, I usually buy the colour I like best, I don't really care what the mainstream choice is either. Again, this is great option for customers, I wish Audi and Volkswagen would adopt. :money: :money:

DisposableApple

Post by DisposableApple » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:07 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:34 pm
I think the option is brilliant, give the customer what they want! I personally don't have any one single colour I appreciate the most. To be honest, I never given it much thought. In relation to scale models, I usually buy the colour I like best, I don't really care what the mainstream choice is either. Again, this is great option for customers, I wish Audi and Volkswagen would adopt. :money: :money:
Audi does offer such program, just not as extensive as those two. Also speaking of scale models, Porsche doesn't allow special colors to be made in scale :nt:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:18 am

DisposableApple wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:07 pm
Audi does offer such program, just not as extensive as those two. Also speaking of scale models, Porsche doesn't allow special colors to be made in scale :nt:
Its called Audi Exclusive...though I don't think its anywhere near as extensive at Porsche PTS.

That's too bad about no PTS in 1:18...that would be cool. I do enjoy seeing the PTS colors, though there are so many now, its difficult to choose a favorite. Jeff Zwart's 997 GT3 RS 4.0 always stood out to me. This is PTS Dark Sea Blue. :drool:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:00 am

Now that I've gotten into repainting models, way too many! Also love the idea of painting a model with a colour that doesn't belong to the make. Maybe I'll post a few pics later

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:07 am

StratosWRC wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:00 am
Now that I've gotten into repainting models, way too many! Also love the idea of painting a model with a colour that doesn't belong to the make. Maybe I'll post a few pics later
Maybe you should! ;)

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:42 am

Big fan of midnight purple. Here's midnight purple I. It looks like black from a distance but then you get close and see the purple flake.

Then there's midnight purple III. This one flips into blues and pinks and golds. Very nice

I recently painted toyota royal sapphire blue which turns out also has a bit of a flip

Big fan of Porsche Rubystone Red. Will be repainting one or more of my porsches into it

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:05 pm

Lovely! Thanks for sharing :okay:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 pm

DisposableApple wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 pm
Ocean Jade Metallic is my all-time favorite by Porsche. I didn't have to read the description to realize the color was from the first generation Boxster I recall from my childhood. In my opinion this is the best color for the 986 and I was delighted that this color was reincarnated on the outgoing model.Image
Whoa, flashbacks to a Christophorus magazine I had as a kid/teen with a 986 Boxster sporting Ocean Jade Metallic on the cover. I was obsessed with this car and color, in fact, one of my very first model cars was a Burago 993 Carrera Cabriolet in this color or very similar. I still have a UT Models 996 Carrera in Ocean Jade today. I'd blame this color on my current day obsession with unique/ PTS color Porsches :rockon:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Mercedes Obsidian Black on this Autoart 500SEC racecar repaint. So nice

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:11 pm

That color looks great & suits the SEC very well.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:23 pm

Gavin wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:11 pm
That color looks great & suits the SEC very well.
I agree! :D

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:32 am

Another Merc repainted, the 6.8 AMG 300 SEL, aka Red Pig (although my pig was yellow). I decided to paint it in Ferrari Marrone Dino, a very sexy brown.

BRN9121

Post by BRN9121 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:03 am

DisposableApple wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 pm
Last but not least, this is not an example of paint to sample but I love it too much to not include in this post. This is not how it came out of the factory as Ferrari refused to paint his car in this shade called Flugplatz Blue. I think it's an Aston Martin color.
I had the privilege of driving my buddy's 1of1 PTS 997 GT2RS in Riviera Blue.

Return to “Off Topic”