Diecast Models Photography: Tips & Tricks

General discussions for all camera gear, camera equipment, camera products, general tips and tricks, and more.
Bynx

Re: Diecast Models Photography: Tips & Tricks

Post by Bynx » Sun May 10, 2015 7:21 pm

/bp your depth of field is going to vary greatly depending on the size of the aperture. The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field. Using a wide angle lens has a greater depth of field than a telephoto. And the size of the zoom affects the depth of field. I usually use my 10-20mm and set the fstop to f22 or greater, depending on the light.

/bp

Post by /bp » Mon May 11, 2015 12:54 am

thank you sir!!.. Most of my pictures look like miniature models (which they are) but not life size... I use your advice and possibly post some pics...

brianballphotography

Post by brianballphotography » Sat May 16, 2015 9:58 am

Nice tutorial I am looking into some more surfaces to shoot the diecast on I use white/black paper and black glass, its reflections that I really struggle with controlling sometimes I get it into photoshop and then see my mistakes :S

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sun May 17, 2015 7:54 am

brianballphotography wrote:Nice tutorial I am looking into some more surfaces to shoot the diecast on I use white/black paper and black glass, its reflections that I really struggle with controlling sometimes I get it into photoshop and then see my mistakes :S
You could make a road surface which can be used for both indoor and outdoor photography. I built my road by mixing sand with black paint and pooring it on a board (I put strips around the board to prevent the layer running off). After drying I used a DIY sander to grind the paint and sand back. A heavy duty sander would be better because the sand is quite tough, but alas I only have a small one.

I now made a new one which I am giving a different structure, but not sure if I succeed. I should be a sort of asphalt parking lot with cracks and filled holes. Main surface should be blacker than the road. The road is more greyish which makes sense because it wears more. I made it with builder sand, but by using sifted playing sand the surface would look finer. The possibilities are endless to build nice surfaces.

This is the first road I made.

/bp

Post by /bp » Mon May 18, 2015 11:24 am

:worthy: :worthy: Terrific work !!

- Due to my limited abilities, I was keen on trying a fine grain sand paper for roads. I had first hand experience using them but haven't taken any pictures with diecast. I am however extremely concerned that it might scratch the model even if i were slightly clumsy. :fingercrossed:

Nicadraus

Post by Nicadraus » Fri May 22, 2015 9:19 pm

/bp wrote:@Nicadraus what lens do you use?.. I use the stock Canon 18-55mm, but I get a very low Depth of field at 40-50mm from 0.5meters .. any suggestions.
My cameras' lenses are stock. On the Lumix LX7 (f1.4 - 8) and Nikon D60 is 18-55 (f3.5 - 5.6g)
Zondaracer wrote:
This is the first road I made.
Very nice road diorama there. I really like the result of the surface. :rockon:

Ram

Post by Ram » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Excelent thread! Thank you for sharing these tips.

Return to “Photography”