How do you strip a Minichamps car, help needed

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
keefy

How do you strip a Minichamps car, help needed

Post by keefy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:31 am

Hello Members, this is my first real post so be gentle, been a collector of diecast for many many years, 1/43 and 1/50 mostly, but have move into the big boys league with 1/18th. I purchased an Aston Martin DB9 cheap but it came without the glazing, i thought i would take off the body and replace the glass with one from a cheaper makes DB9 as they seem to be the same glazing.

My problem is how do i get the body off the Minichamps car, i have found two small screws after taking the front wheels off, on the wheel arch, these where removed, but can't find any other way the car is fixed together, has anyone stripped down a Minichamps car, i presume they go together roughly the same way.

Thanks keith

[KRAFTIG]

Re: How do you strip a Minichamps car, help needed

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:02 am

This model shouldn't be too difficult to take apart, the challenge is not all models and those from the same manufacture follow the same footprint of assembly. Check all locations underneath the wheels and related areas. All, something separating requires some force, though be cautious of assembly glue holding things together. Good luck!

keefy

Post by keefy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, i found two more screws under the rear wheels, and removed one, couldn't get the other to budge, in the end i had to resort to my drill, went thought two drill bits and still can't get it out, one tough screw! But we are talking about German Engineering.

keefy

Post by keefy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:28 am

Well in the end got it apart, four screws in each wheel arch, [ these aren't needed as the glue hold the car together] then prize off the lower base, need a flat screwdriver etc, when this is off, there two smaller screw holding the seat pan on, you have to be carefully here as you pull and tug to break the glue the doors will drop out, when you have the seat pan out, the engine should just lift out.
I broke a plastic lug that holds one door on,[ don't know how i am going to fix that yet,] and the door mirrors broke off, but these are easy fix, but overall a right pain to strip, hope i can remember which way it goes back together.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 am

Sometimes it doesn't go so well... The the original intent wasn't to deconstruct these model cars. You now have experience for the next job :)

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”