Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
FraH2o

Re: Porsche 911 RS 1972.......Turbo conversion 1/8

Post by FraH2o » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:16 am

StratosWRC wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 pm
FraH2o wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:06 am
StratosWRC wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:34 am
Nice. Man I gotta start my RSR build
Very Nice! Which kit and scale?
This boxless 1/18 Autoart I bought cheap on ebay a while back

What a awesome model! :o

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:17 am

My good model friend of Riccardo always tells me: "the man who makes models with legos"
[lol]

Replicating the slightly V-shaped central bracket that follows the physiognomy of the monobloc is possible to scratch but it is a long job.
My Danish friends served me the solution (as usual) on a silver plate.

I Take 2 bricks, created the loop for the central frame and created the loops for the other lateral ones.
This frame will become load-bearing for both the engine and the turbo. To center it at the "v" of the base, the perfect position falls on the side of the side chassis struts.

I will open a slot in order to drop from the top and set the frame which will then be fixed to the monobloc by means of 4 studs (as on the real RSR)

On the central plate we will then have to think about how to fix the Turbo and the heat shield.
A lot of work to do, but i'm think on the right way.

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:18 am

I started with the main part of this conversion: the turbo.

Making me the turbos by myself was and is a difficult to made and also impossible for me.

So for the 0.70 cent I took a keychain with a compressor (or cold side of turbo unit) attached.
Given the generous dimensions, the problem was the exhaust side turbo (or hot side) which also on the RSR is slightly smaller in diameter. Having various pieces of the mp4/4 .... I borrowed an IHI compressor (which will then be modified in the connection for the downpipe to the exhausts and will be modified for the exhaust outlet)

In the middle I have the hub on which the various lubrication pipes will then be applied.

I drilled the hub, I disassembled the compressor and drilled and and then I modified the turbo of the mp4 to insert a 2.5 m nut

Starting from the compressor to get up to the turbo, there is a 16mm Allen key that crosses the whole body and screws onto the turbo itself .... practically in reality it would be the shaft, in the model it is the hub that holds everything together the whole turbo compressor unit .

Once the turbo is paired and created, it's time to fix it to the crossbar.

I created the bracket that supports the turbo with 1mm aluminum. I pierced the "breech" of the turbo, fixed the bracket and finally I bent it in a U shape to go and slip back into the usual turbo screw-shaft.

Once shaped, I then fixed it to the crossbar using 2 Allen screws. Given the weight and size, the glue was absolutely not practicable, furthermore making everything removable is easier for modifications, coloring and tests with the exhausts.

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:19 am

I have the turbo. :rockon:

And now begins an unknown work: Make the exhaust syestem from scratch. I will fix the frame solidly to the engine and then I will start with the exhaust and the westgate unit

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 am

Pretty good work so far

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:31 am

Still too low hahahaha

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Now begins the most difficult part and unknown to me: the build of the exhaust .... and I'll see if I will be able to do it.

In order to start building it, I have to fix the start and end points, that is the 6 manifolds that start from the exhaust ports and the turbo downpipe.

I finished the consolidation work of the RSR frame to the engine block by creating three holes for fixing with m2.5 bolts. The one under the central passing through with nut, the two upper ones threaded.

Another missing element is the heat shield of the turbo .... element always borrowed from the RSR. With a 1mm aluminum sheet I built and shaped the heat shield

Finally I did all the fixing tests to verify the absence of movements in order to have the references of the future exhaust in the correct position.

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:53 am

Once the group of turbo/frame was joined together, I started the work on the cylinder.

I calculated the point to drill and create the exhaust port.
I will need the six holes to insert 6 raised allen screw.
The head of the Allen screw is of the same diameter as the future pipe for the manifolds, the Allen screws therefore act as a connection for the manifolds.

With an old bit and hammer I made the graves to have the correct centering for drilling ... .. starting from 0.8 and up to 2.5.

With a plastic rod I created 3mm thicknesses to raise the Allen screw screwed into the internal part of the monobloc.

Finally, I placed the first 6 sectors of my exhaust system.

I decided to make it as with the 2T expansions or even the handmade exhausts and then to make the various sectors with the plasticard rod.

We'll see if I can do it.

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:53 am

I’m trying my first scratch build of the exhaust system.
Between the distance, the overhanging turbo and that the system will have to be dismantled and flanged, it will be a hard work

I approached the work imitating the build technique of handmade exhausts and 2T expansions . I worked with portions of cones with various inclinations

To have a central template I used the usual lego. The bricks that I used have the curved side which has the same diameter as the styrene tube I am using.
Once the 3 first single manifold have been done, I have linked them in 3 in 1.

Everything is still in the initial phase, now I will build the other engineside and finally the last section that will go from the 2 manifolds to the turbo

I was able to find on the net the spare parts catalog of both the Carrera and the Turbo ... which will give me a hand in the future for missing details.

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:30 am

I have finished the second manifold, they are intentionally inclined and tending towards the right to direct them towards the turbo on the exhaust side.

I tried to stagger them to follow the misalignment of the cylinders itself

Now I study a coupling flange and then I will work on the last piece and on the 2 pipes that will be used for the lateral wastgate (like RSR)

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 am

nicely done

FraH2o

Post by FraH2o » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:01 am

My exhaust .... for now affectionately nicknamed "Geberit" is finished in its basic shape.

It is not fixed to the turbo's flange because I still have to work it.

In addition, I leave the two collectors separable so that they can be roughed, finished and worked.

The 2 red arrows indicate the future fixing point of the side wastegate ... which will be the next job.

It is my first exhaust made from nothing ... I faced a job that I was not at all sure of even getting to 1/3.

In my small way, I am satisfied that I built it myself ... then there is still a lot to do, but the basis is there.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:22 am

Nice detail!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 am

It'll turn out amazing, don't worry, I used the same method for my NSX

and with the intake pipe

Your foundation looks super solid. And this is what I always tell people when they say "I hope I can have the same skill some day!", it's not skill, it's just patience and using a good method. It was your first attempt and look at how good that looks

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:48 am

That's insane Wes! Well done!!

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”