What tools do you use...

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
jimbobcook

What tools do you use...

Post by jimbobcook » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Evening All,

After only just starting in customised 1:43 cars I'd like to get some tools that will better help me achieve the best results whilst also not being fully industrial as its just little old me doing them...

I have the very basic of basic stuff but I'd like to start from scratch as I have cheap items that I wanted to test out, turns out they've taught me how not to do it haha

I find myself needing to drastically change the cars by cutting off bits of the model, I also drill a few small holes and I'm in need of good files for detail work.

Next up is prep work after stripping the paint as I'd want it to last a long time. I currently strip, wash then prime straight away...

Then any tips on getting things like rubber seals on windows painted back to black the easiest, I use citadel paints currently and I'm far from any good but any tips or brushes etc

Basically anything you think would be worth while having if I started this up as a hobby in the near future now I know I enjoy it.

Also one last thing... Making my own decals... I dont have a printer so I'd have to get one but I'm sure it would save me no end of cash getting them done elsewhere.

Any help would be great

Cheers

FrenchToast

Re: What tools do you use...

Post by FrenchToast » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

As with anything else, you can easily go way over the top with things you don't need.

I wouldn't bother with a printer for decals. The printers needed for such fine resolution are very costly. For the few times you print decals I would outsource it to someone who uses these printers professionally.

Same with 3D printers. The models that print fine resolution parts are mostly professional grade where initial cost and operation approaches six figures. The average MakerBot or whatever does fairly low-resolution prints that aren't much good for anything other than prototyping. Therefore, as with decals, I would outsource parts you want 3D printed at a fine resolution.

The rest can be separated into hand and power tools.

Hand tools:

For fine, intricate work look in jeweler's catalogs. Jeweler's saws, coping saws, and files are pretty easy to find and made for intricate work. Also look for needle files, and regular small files.

Precision screwdrivers: For 99.9% of models, all you need are flat and Philips head drivers. Other head styles in such small sizes typically are only in electronic stuff - don't bother. Get a screwdriver set that feels good in the hand. With needing to put high pressure in precise locations, a tool that feels good and offers good control will be superior.

Prybars: You'll often find yourself using a flat-head screwdriver to pry things, and then cursing after realizing you took a chunk out of the paint or plastic. Electronics stores offer small plastic prybars (think cellphone repair, etc.). Also, you can easily find automotive interior prybars, however, most aren't thin enough for model work.

Tweezers - self explanatory. They make a bunch of styles, you can usually find kits. You can also look at "Helping Hands" with magnifying glasses. Basically articulated clips you can position to hold things in front of a magnifying lens.

Paint I can't help much. For masking get professional body shop masking tape, they use it for pinstriping, etc. I think 3M's model is called FineLine. It is expensive but one roll is more than enough and when used properly, paint doesn't leak all around it like normal masking tape. For brush painting there are plenty of fine artists brushes, just make sure they are meant for the paints and thinners you're using. Fine artist's brushes can be expensive, but if you clean and care for it as directed it can last long.

Small drill bits: They make small drill bits in sizes 61-80. Great for making tiny holes. Typically used with a hand-operated pin-vise.

Sand paper: perhaps obvious, but maybe not so obvious are the finer grits you'll find from automotive paint isles/catalogs. You can usually find up 5000 grit fairly easily. Some of the headlight repair kits have sponge sanders in fine grits that can hold water for wet sanding.

Precision applicators/syringes: If you need to apply a small amount of glue in a tight spot, these can come in handy. However, you can make do without them.

Power tools:

Dremel tool can be a good addition. Dremel is a brand that made the "handheld rotary tool" a household name. Lots of companies make them, but Dremel is fairly good quality. They make hundreds of attachments, from rotary files to polishing pads, etc.

Belt sander - if you have a room where you can make and manage dust, a belt sander is really great. They come in a bajillion sizes and orientations, with integrated dust capture or external vacuum attachments (note that a majority of the dust still flies around the working area). Get one with easy-to-find belt sizes. They're great for other stuff too. Cut a piece of wood and want to quickly smooth the edge? Belt sander.

Airbrush - I would not 'graduate' into an airbrush until you've mastered the rattle can and desire better finishes. I don't know anything about airbrushing myself, so, can't help there.

There are some more esoteric things like tubing benders, tubing cutters, special soldering tips, that I wouldn't bother with unless you know you need them.

As with all tools, if you do some research and pay more for good tools they'll last a lot longer than the Choonesium you get from no-name brands, etc. Especially for things with electricity, high speed, or high impact. It's not worth having something fly apart or the wiring catch fire from overheating simply in trying to save a few dollars.

Hope that helps. Surely not a comprehensive list.
Last edited by FrenchToast on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Dremel tool can be a good addition. Dremel is a brand name that made the "handheld rotary tool" a household name. Lots of companies make them, but Dremel is fairly good quality. They make hundreds of attachments, from rotary files to brushes, etc.
Second that! Comes in handy all the time, and there are sooooo many accessories too!

jimbobcook

Post by jimbobcook » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 am

FrenchToast wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm
I wouldn't bother with a printer for decals. The printers needed for such fine resolution are very costly. For the few times you print decals I would outsource it to someone who uses these printers professionally.

Same with 3D printers. The models that print fine resolution parts are mostly professional grade where initial cost and operation approaches six figures. The average MakerBot or whatever does fairly low-resolution prints that aren't much good for anything other than prototyping. Therefore, as with decals, I would outsource parts you want 3D printed at a fine resolution.
You're probably right, I suppose as it's 1:43 the decals are smaller so a better printer is definitely needed, it's just a shame it's about £30-50 each time I need a new set due to setup costs etc...
FrenchToast wrote:
For fine, intricate work look in jeweler's catalogs. Jeweler's saws, coping saws, and files are pretty easy to find and made for intricate work. Also look for needle files, and regular small files.
Oooo I didn't think about using their stuff as they work with harder metals than I do i'm sure lol I will have a look see :-)
FrenchToast wrote:
Paint I can't help much. For masking get professional body shop masking tape, they use it for pinstriping, etc. I think 3M's model is called FineLine. It is expensive but one roll is more than enough and when used properly, paint doesn't leak all around it like normal masking tape. For brush painting there are plenty of fine artists brushes, just make sure they are meant for the paints and thinners you're using. Fine artist's brushes can be expensive, but if you clean and care for it as directed it can last long.
I've got some decent brushes but I struggle to know which brush is best for which area and how much thinning is needed lol I guess that comes with experience
FrenchToast wrote:
Sand paper: perhaps obvious, but maybe not so obvious are the finer grits you'll find from automotive paint isles/catalogs. You can usually find up 5000 grit fairly easily. Some of the headlight repair kits have sponge sanders in fine grits that can hold water for wet sanding.
Thanks, i'll get some fine grit paper ordered and see how I get on
FrenchToast wrote:
Dremel tool can be a good addition. Dremel is a brand that made the "handheld rotary tool" a household name. Lots of companies make them, but Dremel is fairly good quality. They make hundreds of attachments, from rotary files to polishing pads, etc.
I have a cheaper model I think but it's very chunky (Lumberjack DRT170/120), I find it hard to keep it level and straight when drilling or cutting, i did think about a drill press with a dremel fitment for them harder to do straight holes etc... I doubt i'd use it much but when i do it would be a life saver!
FrenchToast wrote:
Belt sander - if you have a room where you can make and manage dust, a belt sander is really great. They come in a bajillion sizes and orientations, with integrated dust capture or external vacuum attachments (note that a majority of the dust still flies around the working area). Get one with easy-to-find belt sizes. They're great for other stuff too. Cut a piece of wood and want to quickly smooth the edge? Belt sander.
This is the thing i'd like the most I think as some stuff instead of cutting little bits off I could use this, i'm not sure what would be best for the smaller items as i'm not a DIY'er in my house as i'm too OCD haha I assume you can mini belt sanders like you can for sharpening knives etc I find filing with a hand file takes some time to get right.
FrenchToast wrote:
Hope that helps. Surely not a comprehensive list.
That has been most helpful! I may have a half decent Christmas list this year after all haha

Thanks for confirming KRAFTIG :-)

FrenchToast

Post by FrenchToast » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Regarding decals, you'd be surprised what you can find already available from web hobby stores, slot car stores, or ebay.
jimbobcook wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 am
I have a cheaper model I think but it's very chunky (Lumberjack DRT170/120), I find it hard to keep it level and straight when drilling or cutting, i did think about a drill press with a dremel fitment for them harder to do straight holes etc... I doubt i'd use it much but when i do it would be a life saver!
You can probably find a tool jig/fixture for your Lumberjack model. Most companies also offer a jig assembly to hold the tool in a certain position so that you can limit the tool movement to one axis or instead lock the tool and move the workpiece around the tool.

A drill press could be helpful, although if you're drilling into a model it can be very awkward to hold it tightly in a jig. Also, don't underestimate the ability of a drill press chuck to walk or wander.

In any case, holding the model or tool requires patience and practice.

CobraKing27

Post by CobraKing27 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:31 pm

If you want to 3D print something, I'd recommend a store like Shapeways, they'll print something for you and they can do higher quality prints at a higher cost.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”