Detailing a Ferrari Mythos

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Zondaracer

Detailing a Ferrari Mythos

Post by Zondaracer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 am

Last week I came across a Guiloy Ferrari Mythos on internet. I didn't know it existed! It was just 15 euro, so swiftly purchased. While in transit I also discovered the existence of the Revell diecast model of this car and it was purchased for the mighty sum of 7,50 euro. They arrived this weekend and they both have their good and bad points. Now the plan has emerged to fuse them into one good model. Question is, will this be another dead end or will I be able to finish the model? I am still investigating how to approach this job, but anyway here's my review of both models.

The Revell Mythos is bigger than the Guiloy, the doors and nose are slightly longer. The windscreen has the correct shape and angle, the Guiloy is a total disaster. The Revell has a darker red for the exterior and interior. The Revell wheels and tyres are bigger and look better detailed, only problem they are fitted the wrong way! The interior of the Guiloy is much better than the Revell one. The bucket seats and seatbelts look really good for such a budget model. The satelites beside the dash pod look like the real thing, pity Guiloy overcooked it with the instruments sticker, looks like Christmas. On the Guiloy the doorpulls are not present, the Revell does have them.

The nose and flanks of the Guiloy are better detailed, nice sharp creases and correct lights and brake duct gaps (these are probably a bit too big). The side air intakes on the Guiloy are much deeper and seem the correct shape, also the slots in the bonnet are deeper. But the doors are way too small and therefore the whole shape of the car is a mess, what a pity.

The engine bays are very different, the Guiloy has sharper detailing but the engine looks too small. I hate the stickers on the intake manifolds, the ridges and words should have been cast in plastic. On the Revell it isn’t much better. At the rear the Revell has better detailing, the rear light cluster seems right (on the Guiloy too small) and the spoiler is perfect. The spoiler on the Guiloy has lots of dents and no single strut as on the Revell. The exhaust tips on the Revell are laughable but at least the exhausts themself don’t stick out the underside as on the Guiloy.

On the underside the detailing of the Guiloy looks spot on, look at the curve of those sills, on the Revell they are straight. The engine and exhaust are much better detailed. Note that the rear tyres on the Guiloy are much wider!

So which one to buy? I have no idea. I prefer the Guiloy for its color, interior, engine, nose and sharpness of the body details. The Revell wins it for general shape (correct doors!), windscreen, rear light cluster and spoiler. The stickering on both models is poor and incorrect.

The idea is to take all good elements from both cars and build one proper Ferrari Mythos. Unfortunately there will be compromises but the present idea is to use the Revell diecast, upgrade the nose with proper lights and brake ducts, install the Guiloy interior and engine. Possibly also graft the Guiloy side intakes and engine bonnet on the Revell. Probably will use the wheels, underside and suspension of the Guiloy. I need a bit further study and find the correct logo’s and stickering.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Detailing a Ferrari Mythos

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am

Hey, long time in between projects... Nice to see the passion is back!

This is one model I personally debated to add initially, and never did. I can't wait to see the results. BTW, I cannot see any photos. Where are you hosting them?

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am
Hey, long time in between projects... Nice to see the passion is back!

This is one model I personally debated to add initially, and never did. I can't wait to see the results. BTW, I cannot see any photos. Where are you hosting them?
It's on Google:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TsbSc7KhvefW32nL9

I changed the status of the album. Does it work now? Yes I have been working on other models as well, but again something much more difficult than I anticipated. I expect this one to be easier and hopefully I am able to work regularly on it.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Yes, I see them now. Thanks for the build thread, anticipated the results!

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”