Ferrari 512 BB LM presentation to LM NART 64 - Kyosho 1/18

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Eric B.

Ferrari 512 BB LM presentation to LM NART 64 - Kyosho 1/18

Post by Eric B. » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:01 pm

MODEL

A few years ago my retailer introduced me to the then new Kyosho Ferrari 512 BB LM in 1/18th scale. AS I saw elsewhere not Ferrari's most successful car but what a beauty and what a model. Highly detailed all opening model. He also showed a BBR Ferrari 512 BB LM same scale and it turned out it was the same model.
Only difference was that the Kyosho was full red while the BBR was red with blank white round number plates.

Kyosho 1/18 and IXO 1/43

Although for the brand name I would have choosen the BBR boxing, I finally choosed the Kyosho boxing on the ground that is was supposed to be rarer and that it was all red.

I later found out that some race versions had actually been released but I never got the opportunity to buy one until much later.

Of all the BBR race versions, the one I liked the most was the NART LM 1979 #64, because of it’s look and the NART history.

Problem is the BBR NART 64 was released in small numbers. I understand 150 may have been released worldwide with golden wheels (practice version) and just 20 worldwide with silver wheels (race version). I only saw one once for sale at a very high price.

I later found a blue LM 1980 European University BBR race version at a decent price and then decided I actually wanted a race version and bought it.

I then lost interest in my red presentation Kyosho which was put aside to be sold later.

DOCUMENTING

I later found some quality decals for the NART 64 car and started thinking I could use them on my red Kyosho. That I had chosen the red Kyosho finally was as an opportunity.
I started some research for my project and was surprised I could not find that many photographs of the actual car at Le Mans.

Photographs of the AmaIgam 1/8th scale Ferrari BB 512 LM NART #64 model helped me a lot, based on the ground that such a great, large and expensive model must be well researched. Photos are studio quality, sharp, well lit, large and offer views from all angles. Also an opportunity to confirm how the BBR/Kyosho BB LMs are great and stick well to the Amalgam model shapes and details.

Amalgam 1/8

Amalgam 1/8

I unfortunately was later deterred to carry on with my project mainly because of the black areas around the hot air vents on the front hood that would mean repaint and also when I later noticed the wheels design of the model differed from the race car/BBR NART 64 model wheels.
My experience in car modelling was not strong enough to dare repaint such an intricate and expensive model and replace wheels.

My interest in this project was nenewed when I heard about StephReplicars, a professionnal studio that is established in Lyons, France and specializes in customizing car scale models.

Eric B.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Ferrari 512 BB LM presentation to LM NART 64 - Kyosho 1/18

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Nice work!

I've owned this model, though the BBR version for a number of years. Definitely comes from the golden age of the hobby. I personally consider this one of the best models ever. I know that Kyosho executed it for BBR, but I did not know that Kyosho issued a number of units under their own brand.

My replica is full red with no white dot. Took me a while to find one. Can you show an image of the box?

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:29 am

Hi,

Yes, I'll look out for the box.

Cheers.

Eric

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:29 pm

I've always thought this was one of the best looking models available. I really wish I'd bought one when they were available at a reasonable price....kicking myself for missing out on this one. :wall:

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi Gavin,

They are beautuful models indeed. I sometimes see some emerge for sale but prices are rising...

Eric B.

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Paint workshop

We we started talking with the artist at StephReplicars he started with good news : we might well spare a full body repaint – and model disassembly. In the end the overall red finish turned out to be a major help in this project.
Main concern was around the black areas on front hood.

First photo below shows car decaled wuth black paint before peeling

Black areas were a problem as it was supposed to be "no repaint" project. In the end, artist was able to peel black paint off recessed par of front hood.
Second photo below shows aircraft after peeling black paint. Some black finish remains in air extractor and white blues stripe shape is not right in this area.
Additional satisfaction at this point that the new wheels have now been produced and been added to the model. They are a real big visual improvement.

I definitely wanted more on accuracy and needed some extra work be done.
Fear of the artist was that he might not be able to perfectly match the red colour of the model.
Leaving the model as is would have spoiled the interest of the project to me and I decided to take a chance with the extra red painting. It just turned out perfectly.

Masking for extra painting

End of project - Result

Here is the end result after extra paint work in extractor (red) and stripe (white)

And here a photograph beside the BBR European University LM 1980 nr 75 model that originally replaced the red car on my shelves. I now think I'll keep both

I am very satisfied with end result, she is up to my expectation as a NART #64 512 BB LM and I don't believe she could come much closer to the just 20 that have originally been released by BBR

Eric B.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:02 am

Both cars look absolutely fantastic.

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 am

Big thank you

Eric

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am

Nice!

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:08 pm

StratosWRC wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am
Nice!
Thank you really

Eric

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:33 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:18 pm
Nice work!

I've owned this model, though the BBR version for a number of years. Definitely comes from the golden age of the hobby. I personally consider this one of the best models ever. I know that Kyosho executed it for BBR, but I did not know that Kyosho issued a number of units under their own brand.

My replica is full red with no white dot. Took me a while to find one. Can you show an image of the box?
Hello

I stand corrected after over 10 year of being wrong. My model is a BBR not a Kyosho although I am sure seller told me otherwise.
I remember him showing me the car with the empty number plate as a BBR and the all red car as a Kyosho... to the point I almost bought the white dot car not because I fancied her more but because of the BBR label.
Then it was a matter of empty boxes being in a remote area and I never re-questionned the matter.
So thank you for asking.
Letting me know Kyosho executed it for BBR gives me an explanation why the seller mixed informations.

Cheers

Eric

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks, Eric, I was more curious than anything else.

Eric B.

Post by Eric B. » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:02 am

... and rightly so, I am glad you were.

Eric B.

Lambormini

Post by Lambormini » Sat May 14, 2022 12:51 am

Eric B.,

I have the one with the white dot & the box does show both BBR & Kyosho logo branding but it’s predominantly BBR. From what I understand though I may be wrong, BBR makes their sealed resin model cars & their opening models are outsourced to another company to manufacture for them

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 pm

What a model. I am extremely lucky to have one of the twenty with silver wheels.

I think Kyosho did some outsourcing for brands like BBR and GMP.
For example GMP Ferrari 330 P4 #24 with yellow stripe is also Kyosho limited edition by GMP.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”