ANATOMY OF A HANDBUILT MODEL

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
StratosWRC

Re: ANATOMY OF A HANDBUILT MODEL

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:50 am

Oh I know. I am doing a relatively simple upgrade on a model with a set of spare wheels, a photo etch upgrade kit, and decals, and, not including the model, it's already into $150 dollars since all the parts needed to be shipped from Europe. The model itself will cost another $100. Obviously I'm not charging myself for the work done, but if I was, I'd be charging more than $10/hour. That's a steal.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

I am currently working on a project that I probably should try to showcase here (I've got a thread going over at the Diecast Pub if anyone is interested, I am "ibj40" over there). Anyway, I want to make a replica of a car that I once owned and raced:

So far it has required the donation of a body from a 1982 Welly Corvette ($50 +/-); the chassis of a 1969 Carousel 1 L-88 Corvette ($125 +/-);, and the engine and interior components from a GMP 1996 Trans Am Camaro ($100 +/-, it was used and had some issues).

Duplicating the rear flares required the services of a professional sculptor who charged me $400.

And then my labor started in ernest.

Sample picture of the modified chassis.

Certainly not trying to hijack your thread, but I know what you are saying, these things are both labor and capital intensive. And many times, you've only got one donor part to make it work, and after that, you are on your own.

This weekend, I will build a thread on my custom, and strip these comments from yours.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 am

Holy moly. Question: how long after you apply the paint do you clear coat it? I heard the paint should "breathe", or "gas out" for at least a month. Is this true?

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am

Excellent info. Thank you

Swede70

Post by Swede70 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:57 pm

Just as an aside this, but rather on-topic too...

It seems a pretty common although largely unremarked upon problem of scale modelers who unknowingly invite trouble for undercharging customers and clients for work they cannot help but apply high personal standards to. It's such a trap; i.e. being flattered into accepting work or entering into a verbal contract consistent with delivering some finished product, and the failure of all parties involved to appreciate the enormity of time and materials investment involved. Your thread should hopefully enlighten some and prompt others of us to take upon the difficult and necessary task of calculating (and indeed even itemizing) what our labor is in fact worth.

An example of what can happen absent such control I provide below, whereas I'm sure many of you reading this post could likewise contribute similar unhappy tales. I recently met a large scale automotive builder who was deeply flattered to undertake the construction of a late 1960's sports prototype topic of reknown for what would seem a cool $3,000. Sounds like a lot - sounds like an epic story and solid validation of the efforts of an otherwise isolated and skilled builder who like many lightly entertains the possibilities of 'going pro'. So far, so good...

Problems with the client for slow delivery? - not at all. Hmmm - what could be the problem then? Well, imagine if you will the builder in question assertively scratchbuilding an entire 1:12 Porsche 917 spaceframe from brass - and he's done it. Short of the body which is a substantially modified plastic production casting, everything about the chassis is scratchbuilt and done to a very impressive standard. Imagine my relating to you to employ your best practices, your best research and your best tools and built me a Saturn V rocket and maybe you can sense where this is leading.

For this fellow the project is now into year three, all the work done performed is most impressive, whereas at club meets he is teased for his 'inability to follow through and/or complete anything'. His time isn't his own, more time and commitment is always required (the model looks fabulous don't get me wrong), but something about the whole setup is soul killing to observe. Is your entire experience of the hobby for sale for $3,000 across multiple years? Everybody - please be careful, whereas if we can each better refine and mature our business practices and telegraph out what is truly involved in the captivating scale 'one-off', so much the better. Kind regards...

M.K.
Last edited by Swede70 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

Lucky13 wrote:Next step would be the clear coat. It is a two part polyurethane nasty stuff, just like the primer. And will run you a cool $90. You have to go through the same steps, prep and precaution as with the primer. You spray it, let it cure and then do "paint correction" wet sanding. Of course the clear has to cure first. After it has been wet sanded, it is prayed one more time. Then it is wet sanded, gone over with rubbing compound, then buffed with polish and finally waxed. The spraying part is a total of 4 hours between the two coats. Polishing is another good 4 hours and total cost of materials I would put around $50. This adds another $130. So now we are at a whopping $530
I am most definitely not belittling your work, or saying you are exaggerating. I just really am curious on some of the steps you outline in this thread, you really need 4 hours to polish a 1/18 scale body? I think you mentioned something to that effect for sanding down the primed body. Really, 4 hours?

Again, I have seen your work, and think your end products are pretty damn nice.

Mike

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm

WOW!!! :shock:

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 am

Your patience, talent, and attention to detail is second to none. I would never finish a custom if I forced myself into your standards. I hope the final recipient appreciates you efforts, and that you are compensated accordingly.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Michael, that Porsche is amazing. Great thread too. I enjoyed reading it. I have spent a ton of money for your work and it is nice to see what all goes into it.

b12cky

Post by b12cky » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I've seen your work, and I must say that I'm BLOWN AWAY!
So clean and wonderful. I really enjoy in your threads on this forum. :okay:

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:08 pm

I would never build something for 10$ per hour. I am surprised your hourly rate is that low. Where's the value of the artist's touch? You are doing something special only few people can do, but you see it as simple production work. I am not planning to do customer's work because it's my hobby, but as an engineer I already did 75 euro per hour. I would charge at least the same when making a unique model for someone. And that's cheap considering professional artists may charge 100 euro per hour for their work. I don't see it as a modded diecast model, for me it's a unique piece of art. It's just finding the right customers that see the effort and beauty and are willing to pay.

seppuku

Post by seppuku » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:02 pm

you really need 4 hours to polish a 1/18 scale body? Really, 4 hours?
I totally believe it.....

No one really "needs" 4, 6, 8, 10 hours to polish a model, but if you truly want results that stand out from rest of the pack, then it is necessary...

It's not just spray painting a model with several coats, wait for it to dry, and expect a show winning shine...

If it were that easy, anybody could do it...

That's where most people make a mistake...

They think it is so easy...

From pictures, you may not be able to tell....

But in hand, I am willing to bet it that model looks dazzling... :)

Soon, I will share pictures of a model that I commissioned, and according to the builder, spent over 300 hours to build....

When you see it, I hope you believe it...:D

Drivinghermad

Post by Drivinghermad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:07 pm

:clap: :clap: Great Quality work Michael,i am so impressed by the Porsche at the top of the Page.Congratulations on Master strokes of Art you make. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Weha

Post by Weha » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Michael,
I have been following some of your work from diecast exchange once upon a time. I enjoy your work. I would like to seek your services.

Weha

YourCarInDiecast

Post by YourCarInDiecast » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Great post and actually got me to register. I have been modding (painting) 1/18 scale diecast cars for 16 plus years as a profession. Many on here I am sure know me but thats not the point. I agree Lucky, people need to understand what goes into repainting a diecast model. Not only the 4 hours to wetsand, but ALL of it. From start to finish with the costs involved. I charge a minimum of $25.00 an hour for simple things but honestly I am normally priced at $50.00 per hour.

It doesn't matter what you charge per hour until you realize what time it actually takes to create the replica and the cost of supplies. People might scoff at say a $800 price..... but if you price the project at $500 and halfway through realize your making like $5.00 per hour you really have no passion for that project. If you get what you believe you deserve and your experience deserves that, then you are fine. If you charge $800 and are a novice and provide a amateur result you never do another car for a customer again as I am sure your results will spread like wildfire.

On another note, the 4 hours for the result on the Porsche is absolutely legit. It all comes down to what the customer wants and what there expectations are.

John

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”