Toretto's '69 Daytona Charger F&F 6

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
LewisF1

Toretto's '69 Daytona Charger F&F 6

Post by LewisF1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am

From the time I watched Fast & Furious 6, I fell in love with Toretto's '69 Daytona Charger Custom that he drove in the movie, as well as his SRT8 Challenger(that's another build to post later) ;). So I decided that I would attempt to replicate it in 1:18 scale, only to find out a few months after I started, that Greenlight is bringing out their own, oh well.
This was a build that I started last year October, and as of now it is 95% completed, just a few more parts to finish off the interior. Hope you like it.

Was able to find a Daytona from a local seller, and picked it up. Noticed the front nose clip is made of plastic, so not sure how easy it will be to shorten it to match the 1:1, but it needs to be done somehow.
ImageImage

Stripped down.

I shortened/lowered the height of the rear wing to match the 1:1, took off at least 1/4"-3/8(you can see the height difference from the pics above).ImageImage
Also tried to separate the windows from the roof, but wasn't successful, so I just cut them out, now I can just take out the rest without the worry of cracking windows.
ImageImage

I was able to strip all the paint off using a spray on paint stripper, it worked fast and was a very easy process. Inside and outside, as well as both doors.ImageImage

Also was able to shorten the nose to match the 1:1, removed about 1/8"-3/16" from it, still luckily fits onto the front clip, but what would be used to join/attach it permanently so I can blend it into the fenders? It is a plastic nose joining to the metal, would Steel Stik, Bondo, plastic weld, or milliput work best?
ImageImage
I ground off the keyholes on the doors, and also added putty to fill in the door handle holes, and holes on the top of the front fender and the rear wing mounting area.ImageImageImage

I did use an epoxy to glue the nose to the chassis, the wing to the rear(thx 2 Rinceman for his advice), and proceeded to do some bodywork. I used an automotive spot putty to fill in the gaps all around, and sanded it down. Image
Also cut out the gas cap hole and recessed/sunk it into the body like the 1:1 has it.
Laid down the first coat of primer to check around for areas in need of touch-ups. Looking good so far.:)
ImageImage
Now just waiting for some milliput to arrive to start on the rear bumper.

StratosWRC

Re: Toretto's '69 Daytona Charger F&F 6

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

Looking very good so far! I've actually been having problems with milliput. I mix it up and it just doesn't harden. That ever happen to you?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I wish I had the talent to add and paint body work. Looking great so far!

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:33 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Looking very good so far! I've actually been having problems with milliput. I mix it up and it just doesn't harden. That ever happen to you?
Thx StratosWRC, so far no problems with Milliput, it was recommended to me, and it's worked really well.
Cheers :beer:

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm

I sprayed both doors and the hood:

Just a little more minor bodywork, and I will be spraying the whole body.

A few more pics of progress, after I resprayed the hood and doors, I ground flat and smoothed out the interior of the doors and sprayed aluminum silver to mimic the 1:1.
ImageImage
I also cut part of the exhaust out to use the mufflers for the setup that goes into the interior.
You can see the mufflers sitting behind the front seats, they exit out the side in front of the rear wheels(still have to cut those holes out on the body).

I found what is called a Black Wrinkle Spray which I tested out on the interior of the roof, and seems to be pretty cool, I plan on spraying the whole floor with it.Image
Also ground off the backstop from the rear light area, so I could recess them a little more, that way when I mold the new rear bumper it can match the 1:1.Image

Cut out the holes for the headlights:ImageImageImageImage

With all this excitement I am having with this build, I am forgetting some of the finer details. Such as the ridge/line on the nose that follows from the one on the hood. So I used a piece of some colored wire from my Garage Dio, glued it to the nose, and filled around it with putty. May step back out to sand it down after the game, that won't be til' almost midnight, hmm maybe not.ImageImage
ImageImage

I started on some detail work.
Painted the undercarriage Satin Black:
Colour matched Fuel Tank with Body Colour:
Detailed Diff cover w/Metallic Blue & Silver Bolts, Rear Shocks Silver & Metallic Blue, Driveshaft Silver, Sway Bar and Torsion Bars Sliver:

Just a few moc-up pics to pass the time.ImageImageImageImageImage
It will definitely sit lower when it's done.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:29 am

I like it!

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:I like it!
Thx Kraftig :) :beer:

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

So after looking a little closer at the 1:1 pics of the car, the front nose seemed to be shorter than the way I have it done, so I needed to think about whether I wanted to attempt shortening it more, or to just leave it.
Well it took me a whole 5 mins of thinking about the nose, and off it went.ImageImageImage
Reattached using a 5min epoxy:Image
I remembered that I picked up an adhesive putty when I first began this project, which I was originally going to use to reattach the nose. So I used that as the body filler, and it only takes 15 mins to dry before sanding.ImageImage
In comparison with the first attempt(pic below), I think this way looks better.Image
1:1 pic:
Just a little more spot filling an sanding to do and she'll be back to where she was, actually took less time than I thought.Image

Nose has been fixed & cut the hood to fit the shortened nose.ImageImageImage

Milliput arrived, so I got to it right away and started the rear bumper.Image

Some more progress on the putty work for the rear bumper.
Filled:Image
Eraser inserts removed:Image
Grinding and Shaping started(kinda hard to see in pics):Image
More filler added for small areas(used a quick dry putty):Image

Continued work on the Rear-end:Image ImageImageImageImage
So far so good I think, it's kinda hard to get into those small tight areas to sand and shape, so it's gonna take some time to get it as close to perfect as possible.

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Rear section and Deck lid:ImageImageImage
Seats arrived, they are a little thin, might thicken them up with some putty, not too sure yet.ImageImage
ImageImage
Interior Rear Quarter Panels:ImageImage
Lower front Valance:ImageImageImageImage
Lower Front Spoiler:ImageImageImage
Interior Center Tunnel & Floor:ImageImage

Worked on beefing up the seats, made some inserts for the headlights, and worked on the front spoiler.ImageImage
Also received some parts courtesy of Jim(ibj40), a shifter and what will become a Nitrous bottle. I did a little
moc-up to see how it looks.
ImageImageImageImage

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Got a surprise delivery :)Image
The 1:1 has a Chevy LS3 motor in it, but I wasn't going to go around trying to find a model that had one in it. So I figured a Mopar should have a Hemi in it.
I had to grind just a little off the surface of the tranny tunnel, and she fit like a glove, lined right up and connected to the original driveshaft.ImageImageImage

I had to make a change with moving the radiator forward, as the engine was too close and not enough space. I cut out the front cross brace and put the rad in it's place.

The styrene rod arrived and I got right to it, building the roll cage.ImageImage

I cut out the side exhaust ports on the rear quarter panels using a drill bit, and opened it to the right shape with a metal de-burring tool on the dremel:
ImageImageImage

I sanded and primed the rims, painted the rotors, and mounted them for a quick moc up.
ImageImage
I also primed and painted the roll cage with the exterior paint colour, and did a little moc up:Image
ImageImageImage

I was able to get a little more done, decided to adjust the ride height, even though I don't have the tires yet. A few areas had to be cut to get her down to a good level.
ImageImageImage
As it sits now, the lowest point under the front end is sitting only a few mm off the floor, so once tires are on, I am thinking maybe 1/4 inch if that, pretty low, but sweet. ;)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:26 am

I didn't know you can order new scale motors, did it come directly from mopar? :)

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:I didn't know you can order new scale motors, did it come directly from mopar? :)
Yes you can, this a 1:18 motor from GMP, it's a Mopar Hemi motor but not from Chrysler/Mopar, I found it on EBay. :)

LewisF1

Post by LewisF1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:24 am

As I was continuing this build, news broke around the world, which hit home for me.
Terrible news, as Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor from the Fast & Furious movie franchise has past away from a terrible car accident. :(
The remainder and completed build will be done in his honour.
May he Rest in Peace.
Paul_Walker-wallpaper-10104012 by lewisf1fan, on Flickr
walker__121011222001 by lewisf1fan, on Flickr

Still awaiting parts so progress has slowed, but touched- up the rear tail light and bumper. Original lights used in the shaping of the rear section were cut out, and holes were opened and shaped to fit the new tail lights(courtesy of Mitchellman).
Before:ImageImage
After(New lights fitted):Image
Lights removed and holes cleaned for proper fitment:ImageImage

ImageImage

So I applied paint & clear, attempted wet sand with 2000 grit, and had many issues arise, so I wet sanded all the clear off, and resprayed with a Darker shade of paint, that looked more like the1:1.
It may be hard to tell, but this is a darker shade, from a dark cherry red to a burgundy. Next up is to spray clear again, here's hoping it all works out this time.
Before(Dark Cherry Red Metallic):ImageImage
After(Burgundy Berry Metallic):ImageImage
My makeshift spray booth,LOL!ImageImageImageImage
So paint was laid as you know, and now clear has been sprayed again, 3 coats in fact. Came out really good once again, but this time I think I will not bother to wet sand, so I avoid screwing it up. I will give it a few days to fully cure/dry, and then polish and wax.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I snuck out to get a few shots in the late day sun.
Look at that shine! ;)ImageImageImageImageImageImage

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:35 am

Very nice! RIP Paul :(

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Oh that is awesome so far. Really enjoying the progress pics

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”