Mondo Motors 1/18 Pagani Zonda F coupe improve/modify

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Zondaracer

Re: Mondo Motors 1/18 Pagani Zonda F coupe improve/modify

Post by Zondaracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Yeah and not jut a Zonda, but the Roadster version of the 760 range in blue carbon. God what a car. It's not spoilt by weird mods, but very basic with black interior and the Zonda F nose, so no LED lights. Quite rare to find someone with loads of money AND taste.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Very true

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:52 pm

StratosWRC wrote:looking great, although I have no idea what most of the parts you're talking about are, cause I'm not too engine savvy haha.
That's surprising to read from the man who spends fortunes on superdetailed racing models. Whenever you upload detailed pics of your latest purchase, I am trying to work out what's what. I find it very educational.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Tell me about it. Definitely a paradox.

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:53 am

Update 4 December 2015
Last few weeks I have been working on the gearbox. Progress is very slow, it's a tedious job and in this time of year I have to make more hours in my shop so less time for modelling.
Anyhow I am close to completing the gearbox. This is its present state:
I reckon there is about 2 weeks work left to complete it, before I can get to start working on the clutch housing (that sits between the engine and gearbox, hence the gap).
To be honest motivation is dropping because it's such a long project and progress is slow. I am thinking of shelving the Zonda for the moment and do a small "Wheeler Dealers"project in between.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:07 am

Did you make that from scratch? What is the new project?

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:34 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Did you make that from scratch? What is the new project?
Yes, started with nothing than bits of styrene. Hope to be able to make acceptable resin copies of it, because I won't do it again.
New project is overhaul of an old Maisto model, you'll see when it's done. Merely stripping, finetuning, painting and rebuilding. Surprisingly detailed for its age, just the stupid chroming and snap on system Maisto used killed the whole collector's experience and made it a bit of a toy. Too bad since it was almost spot on. I have studied photo's of the real car and it's amazing how well designed the model was. So it's disassembled, now waiting for paint, racing harness and decals. Minor extra detailing would be cockpit, mesh and lights. Until that I'll see if I can finish the gearbox this year and plan the build of the subframe and exhaust system.

spikyone

Post by spikyone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:45 am

Zondaracer wrote: To be honest motivation is dropping because it's such a long project and progress is slow. I am thinking of shelving the Zonda for the moment and do a small "Wheeler Dealers"project in between.
Impressive work! Sorry to hear your motivation is dropping; I hope you find it again as this is one of those builds where I get kinda excited every time I see there's been an update!

If you decide to work on the Maisto in the meantime I'll be fascinated to see which model and what you're doing on it. I have a Mercedes CLK DTM that is a fantastic model and would only need a couple of little things changing to make it look like a far more expensive model. The R8 Le Mans cars were great value too.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:12 am

You my friend need a 3D printer. It will definitely cut down production but there is a learning curve with the software.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 am

Wow two weeks on a gearbox. Wish I had that kind of dedication to anything.

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Wow two weeks on a gearbox. Wish I had that kind of dedication to anything.
And I already have been working for a month on it, so even my patience is now stretched to the limit. But it's a major visible item in the engine bay, so must be perfect. In contrast the engine can stay basic although I have decided to make the oil sump and oil filter casing as well. On the original model the oil sump is visible, the shape is perfect but the size and placement are wrong.

KUNALTHESARKAR

Post by KUNALTHESARKAR » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Really amazing and addicting thread you have

After seeing your step by step i am sure even inwill do some kind of modification

Thanks a lot for the inspiration

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:40 am

KUNALTHESARKAR wrote:Really amazing and addicting thread you have

After seeing your step by step i am sure even inwill do some kind of modification

Thanks a lot for the inspiration
You're welcome. Check out my other thread of the Roadster if you're interested. At least that one is finished, this one still needs a lot of work.
http://www.diecastsociety.com/forums/vi ... =27&t=4228

If you are going to do some carbon decaling, here is my tutorial:
http://www.diecastsociety.com/apply-carbon-decals/

Avalon1

Post by Avalon1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Fantastic job, I'm very impressed.
I've sold my Mondo Pagani Zonda, beceuse she didn't look so good...

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 am

I am reviving this thread. Although I don't have much time at the moment (working in the house and my small business is taking more time), I hope this autumn and winter to get serious again and start working on the Zonda's. I am storing the Vector W8 project because of problems with the scissor doors. That's something to sort later.
I worked out a scheme and areas to work on. If all goes well, I should be able to build 4 Zonda's more or less side by side.
Major learning curves are:
1) casting parts from resin to make copies of prototype parts (this would save a LOT of time)
2) vacuum forming of window parts, lots of info on Youtube.
3) 2K primer painting, I already bought a professional minigun for it but need a better (dustfree) place to spray. Possibly will build a paint booth in my garage)

Below a video I made about my Zonda project. I might ditch the Zonda coupe though depending on the quality of the Almost Real Zonda's. They are making a coupe as well, if that's any good I'll build another variant. Anyway I signed up for the Zonda Tricolore they are releasing first together with the Revolucion), so quite excited about it. Pitfall is ofcourse what they do with the carbon fibre. Full decall or tampon printing. Present asking price is 269usd, I would be amazed if they can do a proper carbon decaling job for that money.

Here's my revival video:
https://youtu.be/XJzi6pUYIuE

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”