Extensive repair job on resin model.

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Q-DawgVFR

Extensive repair job on resin model.

Post by Q-DawgVFR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 am

So along with my other diecast (metal) bodywork thread, I am trying to document what will be required for an extensive repair to a RESIN model.

I know enough about resin model building to know that superglues (CA) are often the preferred method of fastening resin parts together (plastic modeling cement does not work on resin).

My reason for starting this thread is that I have a 1/18 Model 777 F-350 which has seen better days. The bed is in several pieces, having not survived my purchase experience. The good news (for me, anyway) is that it had slight damage to begin with, and I was planning a full tear-down to shorten the bed, repaint it a different color to match my former 1:1 diesel truck and customize it. So when it got severely damages, I ended up refunded, the sender claimed it on insurance (postman dropped it on the doorstep right in front of me.) And it ended up costing me nothing in the end. I have another model just like it which is healthy and whole.

So the cab survived this whole ordeal basically 100% intact. And the bed is broken in several parts, but most of the breaks are reasonably clean. Some filler will definitely be required, however.

My plan is to glue and assemble the jigsaw puzzle of bed parts back into a bed again, then cross cut the bed to remove the extra length to make it into a short bed truck. Apply filler as necessary to get rid of cracks and voids, then re-paint the entire model and assemble it.

What I would like to know (from anyone more experienced) is what kind of glue do they recommend specifically, and whether I should add any extra re-enforcement. If so, please share the details on how. This model truck is big and heavy, and it broke off the screw bases, which is what shattered the bed into several pieces.

keefy

Re: Extensive repair job on resin model.

Post by keefy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Epoxy resin is the best glue, they come in different types and speeds of curing, and most dry clear, so for what you need super glue would hold while you add thin bead of epoxy

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Maybe not directly on point, but I have attached a link to a custom build I did recently where I had two trucks, took the beds off both, and then recombined them into two entirely unique trucks. My "glue" of choice is JB Weld, which I have found to be both strong as well as workable and paintable.

I'd be happy to help you out as best as I can, if you would like.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHW5EKX

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 pm

That's mucho work. Was the juice worth thew squeeze?

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:44 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 pm
That's mucho work. Was the juice worth thew squeeze?
If you are asking me, absolutely. I have two unique models, one of which represents a contemporary hauler, the other being an after-thought that clicked.

Here's another custom I've done, using the ACME ramp hauler as a donor.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmH7raZd

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Nice work

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:42 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm
Nice work
Got a couple more, but that ACME hauler chassis makes for some pretty easy custom trucks.

I'll share my next build on here.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”