Super glue leaked on paint :(

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
sezvek

Super glue leaked on paint :(

Post by sezvek » Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 am

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Also new to collecting 1/18 diecast cars.

Today I purchased a brand new AUTOart 1963 Corvette. I don't know they assholes at the company didn't do the antenna base installation themselves like many manufacturers do. It was very loose when it's placed. So I decided to glue the base into the hole they drilled. I wasn't careful enough and the glue leaked and created smudges on the paint around the base. :shame:

Please tell me the paint can be fixed and restored. I tried acetone rubbing and it didn't work. I'll leave you with the photos.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Super glue leaked on paint :(

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 am

I'm not sure anything can be done. I'll let the experts chime in. Don't want to add more injury but the antenna is not meant to be glued into place. It is not fixed as per AUTOart from the factory.

sezvek

Post by sezvek » Fri May 04, 2018 1:36 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:the antenna is not meant to be glued into place. It is not fixed as per AUTOart from the factory
I guess so, but I also don't get why they don't make the base fixed in place, like on my Lane Exact Detail '67 Pontiac Firebird. It's naturally more aesthetically appealing than having an empty hole in the body. I was an idiot nonetheless.

Thanks for the quick topic approval.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat May 05, 2018 10:26 am

Nothing can be done. I spilled it on one of my projects and that was that.

sezvek

Post by sezvek » Sat May 05, 2018 10:55 am

StratosWRC wrote:Nothing can be done. I spilled it on one of my projects and that was that.
That's pretty sad lol. It was prefect. Guess I'm gonna have to find and buy a new one. I'll try rubbing it with WD-40 tonight as a last resort, though I doubt anything will change.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 am

sezvek wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:Nothing can be done. I spilled it on one of my projects and that was that.
That's pretty sad lol. It was prefect. Guess I'm gonna have to find and buy a new one. I'll try rubbing it with WD-40 tonight as a last resort, though I doubt anything will change.
Sell as is! Anything you try can worsen the state. Just my 2 cents.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 pm

No chemical product will remove the CA glue without disolving the paint. There is actually a way but it is risky. Use micromesh sheets and wet sand the glue until it is gone or at least completely levelled with the clear coat. What is left of glue can then be polished just like the clear coat with 3 grades of Tamiya polishing coumpound and may just be near perfect. I wouldn’t try unless you have prior experience with micromesh polishing. Obvious risk is to damage the paint even more.

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sun May 06, 2018 3:20 am

Never use superglue on the outside of models or on clear parts. I use a clear slow drying glue. It gives me time to position the part (sometimes I have to hold it in place for a few minutes) and remove glue residue with alcohol. Then it needs to dry for 24 hours and is strong enough for fixing small parts. It's called Bison max repair, but probably available under other brands.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”