Rims on UT BMW M3 GTR decaying

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
VermillionRed

Rims on UT BMW M3 GTR decaying

Post by VermillionRed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:42 am

Hello fellow collectors. I have a 1/18 scale UT model car BMW M3 GTR Red Bull #7. I had this car for nearly twenty years and it's never been removed from its original box. The decals and paint are still in pristine condition. However the rims upon closer inspection are seemingly decaying or chipping. I've never seen something like this before. I am considering buying another one so I can replace the rims. Is this an easy task?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Rims on UT BMW M3 GTR decaying

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:58 am

This is a common problem with UT. Removing them is pretty straight forward. You can try re-finishing them with paint removal, prime and re-paint. Good luck!

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 am

Apparently there is a chemical reaction between the rubber used for the tires and the chrome plating on the rim. As noted, pretty common for many UT's (BMW and Porsche) of that era.

The wheels are on a compression stalk, and I have found them to range from fall off in your hands to impossible to remove with a high amount of leverage, so you are on your own.

There may be some aftermarket resin casters (Legende Miniatures) that have replacement wheels that you can repaint yourself.

VermillionRed

Post by VermillionRed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Ok guys thanks for your advice. I knew somehow that this could be a problem with UT cars .I would have thought that the decals or paint would deteriorate after twenty years but instead its the rims! Such a pity as they were and still are for the most part awesome diecast models. Chemical reaction between the rubber and chrome effect rims is very plausible. I dont think i will try to repair. Leave it as is. I will try and find spare parts from a doner model .

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”