Mac47's 1:18 Supercars

Create your own page to highlight your diecast collection and latest additions.
Mac47

Re: Mac47's 1:18 Supercars

Post by Mac47 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Looking good sir! Classy next to the others...
FrontiArt has the realistic synchro-helix mechanism.
Not sure. Anyone can confirm? Fronti-Art does cost a lot more though so its expected ;)

See here: http://youtu.be/M7Mg656mIoU

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Wow love that yellow. Is that Frontiart?

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Unfortunately, yes, it is FrontiArt. Would that it were AUTOart.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Mac47 wrote:Thinking really seriously about this one:

Would look fiery with red Agera and orange CCX.
Very nice. Why AUTOart hasn't done this one is puzzling to me :scratchhead:

karan

Post by karan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:41 am

Wow....looks like you're a very focused collector!! Great photos on page 1 of this thread though I can't understand why you sold off so many jewels from your collection although saw that you regretted later.

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm

This issue of paint rash is part of the constellation of causes that prompted me to unload my entire collection. The fact that my flawless AUTOart McLaren F1 suffered a broken engine cover strut hinge one day this August was the last straw: it underscored for me like nothing else could that I was deluding myself about these diecast models surviving to give me lifelong enjoyment; that in fact, they would all gradually deteriorate, and all the more quickly in proportion to how often I opened their doors and engine covers, transported them outside their displays to be photographed, or just picked them up to look at them more closely. A missing "R" from a "Ferrari" badge on the boot of an Enzo; a broken tab on a CCX's removable roof; a lost spare wing mirror for a Huayra; sundry other reglued wing mirrors; paint rash on my Kyosho F40; and the broken rear axle on my blue Veyron — eventually, these things built up to the point where the McLaren F1's minor injury (at the hands of my 10 year old daughter innocently trying to open the engine cover) pushed me over the tipping point and I had to sell them. I bought an iMac with the proceeds.

A few weeks later, another piece of news confirmed me in my decision: namely, Ferrari's announcement of the FXX-K Evo. My son asked, "So, what's it like?" I said, "Meh. It's an FXX-K that has suffered the same fate as the Zonda Revolucion or the Koenigsegg One:1. It's probably faster; it's certainly uglier." There will always be a newer, more radical supercar, punctured with more vents and ducts and bristling with even more wings and canards. There was a point when my collection had almost — almost! — every 200+ mph supercar I cared about. But every year sees more released, and there is no joy in pursuing models of them all. "This too is futile, a chasing after the wind."

I still enjoy coming here and seeing the photographs of others. Photobucket ate mine, and I can't be arsed to reupload them and fix all my past posts. A pity.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm not sure what the say. Nothing is forever, maybe its for the best.

karlis

Post by karlis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Mac47 wrote:This issue of paint rash is part of the constellation of causes that prompted me to unload my entire collection. The fact that my flawless AUTOart McLaren F1 suffered a broken engine cover strut hinge one day this August was the last straw: it underscored for me like nothing else could that I was deluding myself about these diecast models surviving to give me lifelong enjoyment; that in fact, they would all gradually deteriorate.
Oh, you won't believe how well I feel you. I am only in my first year of collecting, but already there are setbacks. Paint rash is one of the biggest, followed by quality problems and fragility.

On one hand I feel deeply uncomfortable every time I have to touch any of my models, because it is a real risk that something will fall off and I try not to use opening parts at all. On the other hand what use is collecting if you can not enjoy - touch, feel, open the parts.

The fear of opening parts is huge... once I opened door on just arrived Autoart McLaren F1 (bought for astronomical 500+ USD because I wanted it sooo badly) and a screw fell out and strut disconnected (I managed to fix it, but opening a door on an expensive model will never be the same).

I have yet to learn either live with these issues (polish the paint rash, learn to operate with glue and tools, learn to be careful etc.) or I might have to quit this as well.

karlis

Post by karlis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Ah, but that said, the joy is still tremendous...

Mac47

Post by Mac47 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes, it was. Nothing like holding a perfect tiny replica of a car you love.

Return to “Member Collections”