CarCrazyinArkansas' Eclectic Diecast Collection [GO TO PAGE 16 for PICTURES]

Create your own page to highlight your diecast collection and latest additions.
CarcrazyinArkansas

Re: CarCrazyinArkansas' Eclectic Diecast Collection

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Here are two 1:18 scale MotorMax Pagani Huayra models, one stock and one altered. Being budget models, it is a fact that there will be less details, less opening parts and rougher construction quality than higher priced brands. However, with just a few added details to the Huayra, the appearance changed considerably. The model had to be disassembled to get to the engine compartment for detailing and the interior was left undisturbed due to the possibility of destroying certain parts to gain access for detailing, which was unfortunate, because the 1:1 Huayra has a super nice art deco type interior. Tires were removed to color gold wheels. Tail lights were silvered to appear more realistic. Even though it appears that little work was involved to do these details, quite a bit was involved to remove the tires and the processes of both dis-assembly and re-assembly.

My thoughts are to convert the stock silver wheel version to more aggressive all-black wheels, but my wife prefers the silver ones. What do you think? Silver or black?

Thanks for looking...

STOCK:

ALTERED:

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Wayra Tata ("Father of Wind"), also known as Huayra-tata, was a god worshiped by the Puruhá Quechuas and Aymaras of the Bolivian and Peruvian Andes prior to European colonization. The god was represented as a human figure with two heads and serpents coiled around him from head to foot. Since Horacio Pagani was born in Casilda, Argentina to Luca (his father, a baker from Italy) and Maria Pagani, this probably accounts for the specific naming of his super car.

My second red and black version of a stock 1:18 scale Motormax Pagani Huayra that had original silver-painted wheels. With my other red and black version, the wheels were colored gold. I opted to not have to paint over the silver wheels, thereby using the black plastic of the wheel itself for the finished surface. The process of removing the paint turned into an extended exercise with no precise conclusions other than the paint was eventually removed. I first soaked the wheels in Purple Power for twenty hours with no discernable results. This product will usually remove paint fairly quickly. Next I tried soaking them in automobile transmission fluid for a few hours and no apparent results. Then, back into a bath of Purple Power for a few more hours. This yielded nothing either. Finally I took some 70% rubbing alcohol and moderately rubbed them until the paint was off. This process worked nicely. Cannot say if the alcohol alone would have done the trick or if the removal was a combination of all three products having been used. The outcome came out favorably and the black finish on the wheels is permanent and integral to the wheels themselves.

(Since the model required dis-assembly to have easy access to the wheels anyway, the engine bay was detailed as much as possible).

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 pm

This 1:24 scale 2002 Cadillac CTS sedan by Jada came my way at a yard sale for a mere two bucks. Yes, there were some issues with the paint having some scratches and nicks and there were a few missing parts. However, the model really appealed to me and still does after its "upgrading". Actually looks better in hand than in photos, too. The interior seats were painted, carpeting was added to the floor, and front turn signal and running light units installed. A custom rear wing was fabricated out of glossy black laminated card stock. Out back, a custom high performance exhaust extension hooks up to the exhaust muffler by way of an angled aluminum tube. Vintage chrome-plated side mirrors from the parts bin complete the low-slung sedan.

Thanks for looking......

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm

A number of years ago a group of five 1:18 scale American Muscle 1969 Plymouth GTX convertibles came into my possession. They were all missing wheels, the HEMI engines and other various parts. As a result of not having sufficient replacement parts to rebuild to stock condition, the idea to do this strange version came to mind. I used this model to try out various techniques and detailing tips. The rear end was lowered quite a bit, but could go more; the front end proved to be technically not worth the effort considering the nature of the car.

Thanks for looking....

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:10 pm

This is a 1:18 scale diecast Maisto model of an Audi TT convertible that was acquired for $4.94 at a thrift shop. It was missing the upper back seat rest portion of the driver's side seat, the reflective lense of the driver's side mirror and the passenger side mirror. I lowered the car as much as possible, made a mold for the seat and cast the part using water putty and carpeted the trunk. Added some details to the engine and interior and made the wheels as well as the exhaust pipe end openings black.

The futuristic-looking 2001 Audi TT was a design award winner. The all wheel drive model featured 225 horsepower, twin tailpipes, no automatic transmission, weighed less than 3000 pounds and was underated as a sports car. It is considered to be one of the most influential automotive designs in the last twenty years, primarily for three reasons. First, the rounded bumpers both front and rear which appear as integral parts of the bodywork. Second, the treatment of the large and protruding fender arches, especially how the front arches merge into the side line of the hood. And third, the wide use of bare aluminum in the interior for trim and to highlight gauges and switches.

Thanks for looking..

Before:

AFTER:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:14 pm

This was the first TT I got to see live (1:1). With dark Grey exterior and baseball interior trim. Eventually I would own a Coupe!

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:25 pm

This is an upgraded 1:18 scale 1957 Chevrolet BelAir convertible by Yat Ming. I acquired it from another collector as a stock model ten years ago for just five dollars. Apparently he thought the model was bland and unexciting, so wanted to get rid of it. I have always liked the classic '57 Chevy a lot and it's one of my all-time favorite cars. However, the well made Yat Ming version, even with its accurate details, came across as bland due to its only colors being pale blue and white.

I changed the interior with darker blue seats, dark blue carpeting, detailed the dash and added silver buttons to the convertible top cover. Additionally, the engine was blackwashed some and the fan belt painted black. The "V" emblem on the hood was made gold as was the gear shift knob. Blackwash around the headlights and front running lights and rear taillights covered with white glue for a lense effect. Red centers applied to the hubcaps and aluminum tubing used for the dual exhaust extensions. Now with those done, the Chevy has a much stronger presence.

Thanks for looking...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Well done!

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:06 pm

This is a small diecast Maisto model in 1:40th scale of a 1990s Aston Martin DB7 that I found at a thrift shop for a mere $1.21. The casting was fine, but it lacked much in the way of detailing, so I blackwashed the front grilles, blackened all the window trim, the rear view mirror , the windshield wipers, painted the amber taillights red, painted the floor, car seats and steering wheel. Also, painted the turn signals and running lights and added a gear shift lever. Sure made a huge difference in its appearance.

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm

The very day I had almost completed the "saving" of a white 1:18 scale Maisto 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 (needed to complete the making of a side mirror), my wife and I unexpectedly spotted an almost exact 1:1 white 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 copy of it in the parking lot near where we were going for haircuts. She went in and made arrangements for our appointments while I seriously surveyed how this car differed from the diecast model: black hood stripe, red brake calipers, black carbon graphite roof, and black side mirrors and rear spoiler. Pretty doggone close to the "saved" diecast model.

This 1:18 version came from a thrift shop missing a driver's side mirror, the passenger side small back window and the entire rear diecast cargo hatch cover. My initial thoughts were to make it a possible pickup truck, but that would be highly unusual and a rather crazy option involving too many construction unknowns as well. So a pattern for the hatch cover was copied from another Maisto 2014 Corvette onto cardboard, fitted and painted gloss white. A clear acetate rear window was attached and where the hinge slots were, small red reflectors were added. Needless to say, the result does seem to have an ala-Tesla-pickup appearance. Actually, before knowing anything about the Tesla pickup, I saw the initial introduction on TV and thought that the truck was a possible tease and/or a comical prop made from cardboard with its simple and flat surfaces. Maybe subconsciously, my cardboard hatch cover piece resulted from my ill-conceived Corvette pickup idea and the TV Tesla pickup looking like cardboard? :o The model's interior and cargo area were carpeted, seats were painted, the engine detailed a little and a side window and a side mirror were made. Calipers were left black as the unmovable hatch cover was installed before seeing the 1:1 car, and removing the wheels would have damaged the permanent hatch cover installation for sure. The Corvette logo under the hood was colored, too. Now the $2 'Vette Z51 is "saved".

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:01 pm

This is an Action 1:24 scale diecast 2003 Monte Carlo NASCAR model of the #5 Terry Labonte Kellogg's Got Milk? car. It is quite heavy, very well made and with great graphics and superb detailing. Both hood and trunk open on realistic hinges and it has a photo-etched metal front grille. Even the new tires have the appropriate stickers displayed on them! Bought this at a consignment shop for just two bucks! However it was missing the back window. With some clear acetate, I fashioned a replacement.

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Steve Miller sang, "I'm crazy 'bout a Mercury, I'm crazy 'bout a Mercury
I'm gonna buy me a Mercury."

When I saw this substantial 1:18 scale Ertl James Dean 1949 Mercury Eight for sale at a thrift shop, it caught me by complete surprize as nothing major seemed wrong with it. On top was the thrifty price of only $5.98 . No-brainer. It was a little dusty and did have a crooked rear tail light and windshield wiper, and a short section of a rear tailpipe missing. Easy fixes. I detailed the green flathead engine, painted the transmission a flat black, adjusted the rear tail light and completed the most difficult job, making a windshield wiper.The essential exhaust extensions were made, too, out of aluminum tubing. She has some bruises to the paint but overall is a very nice addition to the 40s and 50s cars in the collection.

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Re: CarCrazyinArkansas' Eclectic Diecast Collection (Updated fairly regularly)

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:22 pm

The Wolf Canyon Fire Department personnel had longed for the opportunity to have in its service a new rescue vehicle, but being a volunteer organization with quite limited funding, cost was a major drawback. When a used, but in very good condition, Maisto 1:18 scale Jeep Rescue Concept came their way from a local thrift shop, the solution was to have its problems corrected by an old school body shop. The passenger side door panel needed replacing as well as the passenger side view mirror and assembly. On the roof, the missing normal canvas covering was replaced by a clear sun roof. The real work was the reconstruction of an entire back bumper and its various components. In addition, the third row seating was removed to add some cargo space in the back. Finally, "JEEP" was highlighted in black on the tailgate. The Department is so glad to now have this workhorse vehicle.

Thanks for looking...

BEFORE:::

AFTER:::

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:24 pm

This is an older Yat Ming 1:18 scale Studebaker Coupe Express pickup that bought was bought new in the old "gomotorbid.com" glory days. Yat Ming scored big here with good detailing, good chrome work, cool paint color and opening features (doors,hood,tailgate).

It did have one major "flaw" that caused the model to have a dual personality as can be seen in the photos. Due to this, I have been reluctant to exercise any otions to date to remedy the situation. One option would be to make the part and then paint both black. The other option would be to remove the existing part and assume both parts are "hidden" on the actual model. A third option would be to do one of the other options and completely redo as a street rod and re-paint the model. This doesn't completely appeal to me as the maroon color looks quite fine as is.

What would you do concerning the situation?

Thanks for looking...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:09 pm

The bed wood and the front are priceless on this piece!

Return to “Member Collections”