CarCrazyinArkansas' Eclectic Diecast Collection [GO TO PAGE 16 for PICTURES]

Create your own page to highlight your diecast collection and latest additions.
CarcrazyinArkansas

2016 ramp truck

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:31 pm

A few weeks ago we made a donation to the local thrift shop. Due to the virus, I told my wife I would only go into the store and through the toy section as fast as possible. In doing so I spotted nothing worthwhile except this 2016 Hess ramp truck. It set me back two bills. What I did not know at the time was that it included fresh batteries that power the four control buttons on the cab's top and a sound activated ramp out back. The many lights, front, rear, and sides all flash when on; sounds include the truck starting up and taking off normally and revving and racing at a drag strip. Other sounds are the blaring warning horn and the loading ramp being lowered and retrieved.

The official 2016 Hess version also included a drag car with various features.

I took some liberties and added detailing to the grille, door panels, exhaust pipes, wheels and signage.

As far as scale goes, the truck appears to be 1/32, perhaps, as 1/24 vehicles are too wide, thus not fitting on the deck correctly. The New Ray 1970 Dodge Challenger shown is supposed to be 1/32 scale and it does fit the wheel holds on the truck's deck. Even if Hess truck is out of scale for most of the models in my collection, viewing it without cargo still looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for looking....

CarcrazyinArkansas

Some loose older ones that started the whole collection process!

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:14 pm

This a photo essay of hodgepodge 1/32 scale and 1/43 scale loose vehicles that were the beginnings of my eclectic diecast collecting, circa 1999 and 2000s. They were either kit built, bought or found loose. They had been stored in a cabinet that did allow some dust, so most need a little cleaning. I plan to detail these after doing such.

1/43 scale or thereabouts ........

Testors- Dodge Viper in black

Testors- Porsche 911 RSR 3.OL

Testors- 1949 Mercury in black with flames

Testors- 1941 Willys Coupe in yellow/white flames on GMP trailer

Castaway- Ranger boat "Kellogg's" in blue/orange on trailer

Road Champs- Chevrolet C3100 truck lowered in green

Tootsietoy- Jeep Cherokee in blue #6

????- Dodge Viper GTS in red

Maisto - Audi TT Roadster in gray

New Ray - 1969 Chevrolet Corvette in orange

Motor Max 4048- Mercedes-Benz SL500 in red

Motor Max 4033- Ford Focus in blue green

Motor Max 4002- 1998 Ford Mustang in dark green, running on a rear donut! LOL

1/32 scale or thereabouts ["pull-back action" type (*) that power the back wheels].......

SunnySide 5706 (*) 1940 Ford Woody Wagons in red, yellow, green

Saico DP5019 1/34 scale (*) Chrysler PT Cruisers in silver,green, black

New Ray (*) Subaru Impreza WRX STi in RHD, blue

New Ray (*) 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C in blue

New Ray (*) 1970 Dodge Challenger in lime green

Kinsmart (*) Volkswagen New Beetle in space motif

My particular favorite of the bunch has to be the 1941 Willys Coupe. The '49 Mercury and the Chevy C3100 are up there too.

Thanks for looking.....

CarcrazyinArkansas

1953 Cadillac convertible and Lambo Countach

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:55 pm

These two were found in an old abandoned tool shed a number of years ago. They were fairly rough. I chose to leave both with their original black paint jobs irrespective of the chips, scratches and smudges. Would they not be considered legitimate antiques?

The 1:32 scale Tootsietoy 1953 Cadillac convertible had a terribly yellowed windshield which cleared up with a combination of bleach and hydrogen peroxide left overnight in a sealed plastic bag. Next the grille was blackwashed, silver added to the exterior trim, the dash and steering wheel, and the rear tail lights. The seats and top cover were painted white. The fat and wide rubber wheels were quite dried out and whitish-looking, so an application of glycerine brought them back to normalcy. The rear bumper was missing so this is how it looks now with a wooden piece coated with a silver Sharpie.

The 1988 Lamborghini Countach 5000 Quattrovalvole is a 1:36 scale model by Majorette. Its condition was real rough: missing both side doors, having a cracked windshield, part of the rear wing broken off and missing, and having no detailing whatsoever to speak of.

The interior was detailed, the gold wheels' five holes blackened, side marker lights colored, exhaust pipe tips silvered and paint imperfections covered with strokes from a black felt tip marker.
I call the "dune buggy-esque" Lambo a "hardtop convertible". I pretend the hardtop will come off as I haven't the nerve yet to actually slice it off. LOL

Thanks for looking...

Badly injured Countach....

[KRAFTIG]

Re: CarCrazyinArkansas' Eclectic Diecast Collection (Updated fairly regularly)

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 pm

You are the car whisperer! :okay:

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks Kraftig. I consider that a very high compliment indeed.

CarcrazyinArkansas

Another 1953 Cadillac convertible

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:08 pm

The weight and composition of this Franklin Mint 1:24 scale 1953 Cadillac convertible easily exceeds many 1:18 scale models. It is the only Franklin Mint model in my collection and was obtained in a swap for an old, funky, gas-powered, two cycle lawn blower on its last leg. The details on this older Franklin Mint release are quite good considering its age; my copy is missing the passenger side mirror, however. Overall though, it shows out very well for a 50s land yacht.

Thanks for looking....

CarcrazyinArkansas

1908 Buick Model 10 Rumble-saved

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:32 pm

A little background first....

Gowland & Gowland (England) was one of the early plastic scale modeling companies. Gowland & Gowland designed 30 kits which Revell issued as the Highway Pioneers series from 1951 thru 1953.

Highway Pioneers Series Two, 1/32 scale, featured these five cars molded in ( ):

1908 Buick "10" Rumble (red)

1914 Stutz Bearcat (yellow)

1915 Model "T" Ford Sedan (black)

1910 Studebaker Electric Coupe (green)

1910 Cadillac Limousine (light blue)- 2 copies

These models had been built in the late 50s and put away in the hot attic in 1961. They remained there until 2007. All those years(46!) in the attic had totally warped and disfigured the models. The Studebaker's smaller parts had literally crumbled into powder, and its mangled body shed countless slivers of decayed plastic. The Studebaker's so-called "body" might be a subject of a future diorama as it is absolute junk, with no possibility of ever restoring.

After completing the redo of one of the two 1910 Cadillac Limousines, the 1915 Ford Model "T" Center Door Sedan and the 1914 Stutz Bearcat, I began working on the 1908 Buick Model 10 Rumble.

"The 1908 Buick Model 10 Rumble was a two-seater up front with an additional back single seat or "rumble" seat in the rear. This back seat was popularly called the “mother-in-law” seat. The Buick's four-cylinder (cast in pairs) engine produced 18 horsepower. It had a 92 inch wheelbase and a planetary transmission."

This model was warped and disfigured, but not as badly as the previous ones. It was on the workbench a goodly amount of time because of its warped nature, missing parts and my inability to determine what particular parts were on the original 1:1 Buick Model 10 and what parts were or were not included in the original model kit as the kit's instruction sheet was unavailable. Specifically I struggled with the question of the windshield, its support brackets and the top- how they were configured on the 1:1 car. As per the internet, there are photos of multiple variations. I opted to scratch build a windshield and brackets for the top as a complete unit that is removable, thereby leaving the "hot rod" runabout version topless and with no windscreen. However, due to space necessary for measuring and positioning the windshield brackets, the two "running lanterns" located on the cowl will now not fit, so they are absent on the top up version although they could be mounted on the "hot rod" version permanently. This would then nix ever using the top, though.

One headlight, a running lantern and the gear shift mechanism were all cast in water putty from an original part. The front axle is plastic sprue and the lower springs are strips of aluminum as all these critical pieces were missing. The original rumble seat was missing, too, so a scrap piece of plastic had cut straight pins applied to the seating area to mimic a slight tuck and roll look similar to the front seats. Black elecrical tape serves as a mat on the running boards. Fine copper wire and craft wire serve as brackets and supports for the top. The only disappointment is that the top cannot fit if the running lanterns are mounted to the cowl. Otherwise, the entire lengthy and tedious process was an enjoyable project.

Suppose the final decision is: top up without running lanterns in formal mode OR top down with running lanterns affixed in hot rod mode?

Thanks for looking....

Hot Rod without running lanterns:

Hot Rod with running lanterns:

CarcrazyinArkansas

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS soft top

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:51 pm

This Motor Max (#73293) 1:24 scale diecast 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS soft top American Graffiti model kit included two sets of custom flame decals and a pre-primed body. The soft convertible top is plastic. The kit was bought new a number of years ago for five dollars and proved to be a decent one. Painting and detailing of the car was satisfying. The quality of the parts and all appeared to be quite good at that time, but after a couple of years degradation began and persists to this day. It is so severe now that if any panels were to be forced open, the hinges would surely break or the part itself would be bent out of shape and /or dislodged from the car. Essentially, the model is now "sealed" with no access to the engine, trunk or the interior via the doors.

I wonder if others who have or had this particular kit met with these same problems- the dreaded diecast cancer!

Thanks for looking...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 pm

That's the worst case of diecast cancer I've seen to date! :wow:

CarcrazyinArkansas

1959 Chevrolet Impala hardtop

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:30 pm

My favorite Chevys are from the years 1939 to 1967, with the obvious Tri-Fives and the latter two years of the 1950s being very highly regarded. Into the 60s, each and every year marked a good one to boot. Somehow tho, the ones in the 50s seem to edge out the latter ones in appeal to me. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

There are those that will probably cite the wheels on this model as being inappropriate, demeaning and disrespectful to the 50s era, and even ugly. Be that as it may, the lines of this 1:24 scale Jada custom 1959 Chevrolet Impala hardtop still ring true to 1950s nostalgia. Personally, the casting here provides a hearty dose of it. The metallic white paint job with the continental kit outback screamed to me to photograph it. Certainly not stock, certainly not completely authentic, but certainly 1950s and unique!

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

1923 Chevrolet Series D one-ton truck

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

This 1:32 scale diecast 1923 Chevrolet Series D one-ton truck is made by New Ray from their Classic Collection. New Ray is a budget brand noted for their many truck castings among others. Their detailing is fair and presentable in most cases. The Chevy truck here has but two opening panels-the hood. Rendering of the engine is modest. Wheels are mounted on straight metal axles, so no stearable action. The graphics are nice and the gas tanks look realistic enough, but are molded as one single unit and are not removable. Neither does the tail gate open. The bed is painted and textured to resemble wood. For its low cost and old-time appeal, however, it's easily a diecast model worth having. As far as I know, New Ray maybe the only maker of a 1923 Chevy truck!

Thanks for looking...

CarcrazyinArkansas

Alfa Romeo

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Here's one you don't see everyday on the open road...

at least not here in the States. It's a 1:24 scale Motor Max Alfa Romeo 159 Sportswagon. Unusual model in that all windows are shown in the up position. Two doors open and that's it, however. Wheels roll on straight metal axles, so no steering. Bargain brand. Tight-fitting hood opens up revealing an all black , one-piece engine. Hood's shut line was so tight I thought it was sealed. But it is an Alfa. And that's a good thing for those who like Alfas.

Last edited by CarcrazyinArkansas on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

CarcrazyinArkansas

Loose assortment of 30s scale vehicles

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:00 pm

These loose, seldom-displayed Kinsmart diecast models were on a lower dusty shelf. They were bought in the past from time to time at thrift shops cheaply because of their usually rough condition. All six models have "pull-back action". The one bus model isn't designated as a Kinsmart on its chassis, but shows only the nomenclature "Made in China" and 'Item No. DP5003'. The rest of the vehicles have their scale and Kinsmart noted on their chassis. I am inclined to think that the white bus (Adventure Park) is a Kinsmart, but have never been able to substantiate it by any photos or text. It is heavier than the others and looks to be a Mercedes Benz. Have any idea who made it?

Thanks for looking...

1:32 scale 1962 VW Samba Bus

1:36 scale Dodge Viper GTS R

1:38 scale 1953 Chevrolet 3100 Wrecker

1:40 scale 2008 Hummer H2 SUV

1:40 scale 2005 Hummer H2 SUT

Mystery Bus

CarcrazyinArkansas

Six Wellys

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Out of the box, these 1:43 scale Wellys show a goodly amount of wonderful detailing and precision. The castings and paint are crisp and clean. Bought at a dollar store in 2013, all the Welly NEX (New Exploration) models do feature quite a bit of plastic, yet it serves its purposes very well with rolled up windows all around and authentic-looking tires and wheels. Pretty impressive at such a low price point.

Thanks for looking...

Mini Cooper S

Audi R8

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

Volkswagen The Beetle

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

CarcrazyinArkansas

Dodge Magnum RT custom

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:59 pm

This article says it all as a preamble to my Magnum post:

https://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/magnum-2 ... 0soar%20in

Now this 1:25 scale Revell 'Large' (Germany) diecast kit was bought around 2006 on closeout. The model is a custom Dodge Magnum RT which features scissor doors, simulated TV monitors in multiple locations, opening hood and pan HEMI engine and, of course, oversize rims with red calipers. Revell wanted to capture the current street scene of the mid 2000s.

As the article suggests, perhaps we will see the return of a new Magnum in the near future, albeit, not as extravagant as Revell's version.

Thanks for looking...

[Forgot to properly close the door before shooting this and #5 pic]

Return to “Member Collections”