Adding extra Shelves to Detolf, but what kind?

Post some your successes and tips that keep you diecast collection in tip top shape!
primetime

Adding extra Shelves to Detolf, but what kind?

Post by primetime » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi, new member here. So I've installed the brackets clips which are the same ones as ebay 184233492714, but what kind of shelving are you guys using in addition to the 3 tempered glass shelves that come with the detolf? Can it handle 4 more shelves that are tempered 1/8th thick, or would that be too much weight? I'm wondering if clear acrylic shelves or plate glass that is 1/4 thick would be less weight? Can anyone confirm that they added 4 more tempered shelves for a total of 7 shelves to their detolf without the glass exploding due to too much total weight? Trying to avoid a mess on my hands. My shelves need to be 15 inch x 11.5 inch. Is using a local glass cutter the best option?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Adding extra Shelves to Detolf, but what kind?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 am

Moved to the correct forum.

I know many who added shelves without issue, but sometimes there are failures. Look into custom glass cutting, as I don't believe Ikea sells them separately.

Marcel171281

Post by Marcel171281 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:08 pm

I added perspex (PMMA/plexiglass) shelfs, works good. They bent a little when heavy models are on them, but it's oke for me. Glass adds a lot of weight indeed and on the detolfs it all 'hangs' on the top wooden part, which is resting on the glass side and rear panels. I didn't take any chances and opted for perspex, they hardly weigh anything. Have 16 detolfs, all with extra shelves. Never had any problems (touching wood now...)

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

I bought custom cut glass shelves from another collector

Return to “Model Care & Replacement Parts”