AUTOart P1, Is it worth it?

AUTOart related news, headlines and general discussion.
Kasra

AUTOart P1, Is it worth it?

Post by Kasra » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 pm

I like it very much but I'm not that crazy about it, you know. Also I have the F1 LM Historic Orange and I'm thinking about adding the P1 Volcano Orange to the collection.

-First of all, I've read mixed reviews about this model. Personally, I don't mind it's poor engine detail that much... But is that all?

-Second, How much is the price? On the website it's $250 but on ebay it's about $350. Does that mean AUTOart won't supply it anymore so the price has gone high?

-Third, There is a newer "Upgraded" version. How do both generations differ? Is it only the matter of colors for calipers and the spoiler or is there more? Is one more valuable?

I can get the Volcano Orange for about $250 and Volcano Yellow for about $220, both are not the "Upgraded" newer version. Orange one is on the store shelf but in very good condition.

StratosWRC

Re: AUTOart P1, Is it worth it?

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 pm

Nah. Had 2, sold both

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 pm

If you like the P1 I’d say yes it is worth to get the AUTOart as it is the best scale model available. Not one of their best in composite/plastic material but it displays very well. I have the Volcano Orange and love the color but pick what you like best. As for the upgrades I think it is pretty minor so I would not care much as long as you get a good price.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Atalante wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 pm
If you like the P1 I’d say yes it is worth to get the AUTOart as it is the best scale model available. Not one of their best in composite/plastic material but it displays very well. I have the Volcano Orange and love the color but pick what you like best. As for the upgrades I think it is pretty minor so I would not care much as long as you get a good price.
I echo this as well. I'm sure you read DS's review?

https://diecastsociety.com/review-autoart-mclaren-p1/

Kasra

Post by Kasra » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks for the replies! And yes I've read the review.

My main concern now is the price, what's "a good price" for this model?
As I mentioned there is a $100 difference all over the web and I'm a bit confused right now.
Is $250 a good deal in 2020?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am

Kasra wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

As I mentioned there is a $100 difference all over the web and I'm a bit confused right now.
The challenge now is the model is out of production, and some colours are scarce. My advice, it doesn't seem the model isn't terribly important for you, wait until they release more colours are you find an exceptional deal. Patience is the key to this hobby, however, it is hard to fight emotion sometimes :money: :money:

Kasra

Post by Kasra » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:20 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am
Kasra wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

The challenge now is the model is out of production, and some colours are scarce. My advice, it doesn't seem the model isn't terribly important for you, wait until they release more colours are you find an exceptional deal. Patience is the key to this hobby, however, it is hard to fight emotion sometimes :money: :money:
Are you saying that if new colors of this model come out, the price will drop?

Update:
I'm a little confused tbh.
The problem is, Where I live not everything is always in reach. No Amazon or ebay either.
So I don't want to miss the chance or I might regret it like I did for R34 Z-Tune.
I also may have Huayra BC or Vision GT on the table.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:33 am

No, you won't have to pay a premium, as the model as been released for a number of years and supply is so. That equates to simple math. Rare = more $$. In your case there are even larger hurtles, good luck!

Kasra

Post by Kasra » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks!

Is there any difference between this and upgraded version beside the colors?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Kasra wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 pm
Thanks!

Is there any difference between this and upgraded version beside the colors?
No.

blackvitzrs

Post by blackvitzrs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm not sure what "upgraded version" people are referring to. There is the older first release in the "Signature" box with the certificate and the booklet (volcano orange, yellow, matte white, matte black,matte chrome, ice silver with red trim), and the newer release that is not in the signature box (wine red, azure blue, papaya spark, white with orange trim).

I have both the new and the old, and here are the differences. I haven't taken any photos, but I will just describe them here.

1. Engine surround trim at the back window is silver on the old, and dark grey on the new
2. Wheels are gloss black on the old, and anthracite grey on the new
3. White tire script on the old. Without white tire script on the new
4. Carbon fibre decal parts are more glossy on the new compared to the old.
5. Gloss black on the door roof panel on the old, see-through tinted window on the new.
6. New one has the tow hook indentation missing on the front carbon fibre bumper on the left side.
7. Fit and finish is generally better on the new. I have seen many examples of poor QC and fitment, and chipped paint on edge of door on the old P1s. Of course, it is down to the example you are buying.
8. Paint is generally better applied on the new. Again, it is down to the color and example you are buying.
9. The daytime running light "LED" trim is thicker on the older release, and hence doesn't look as good. However, Autoart has revised this each time they re-released the model. It has become thinner and more accurate on the new releases. To me, it looks like Autoart has come out with three versions of the thickness. LOL

As for the question of if it is worth it, my answer is it depends on how much you like the P1 itself.
It is, however, the best opening model option out there for the road car (not the GTR), even compare to the diecast TSM P1. The stance and the overall shape is better than the TSM. It has more refined and has more finess.

Kasra

Post by Kasra » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 am

That's what I needed! Thank you for the through answer.

And if I'm not wrong there is a 10th difference: Rear wing finish, It's carbon on the new models.

So in this case, I think I will go for the old release. Mostly because I like Volcano Orange or Yellow. But looks like I have to be even more careful about poor QC.

blackvitzrs

Post by blackvitzrs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:08 pm

There is a second release of the volcano orange with the carbon wing and the orange calipers and thin LED strip on the headlights. I believe the first release volcano orange was with body color wing and black calipers and thick LED strip.

Kasra

Post by Kasra » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 pm

blackvitzrs wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:08 pm
There is a second release of the volcano orange with the carbon wing and the orange calipers and thin LED strip on the headlights. I believe the first release volcano orange was with body color wing and black calipers and thick LED strip.
You're right. Except first gen. calipers are silver-gray.

Interestingly, I just saw a couple of first gen. Yellow ones on ebay with thin LED trim!
For example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autoart-067411 ... 3014755859

I even saw one with black NON scripted tiers.
This is getting complicated...

blackvitzrs

Post by blackvitzrs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 pm

The later volcano yellow released in the signature box had thin LED strips like the later volcano orange with the orange calipers.

Return to “AUTOart”