AutoArt Porsche 918 Spyder Packaging

AUTOart related news, headlines and general discussion.
sushi2526

AutoArt Porsche 918 Spyder Packaging

Post by sushi2526 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 am

Hello everyone.

I am from India. Finding really good diecast models here is hard. So I always get them through my friends who travel from USA ( Custom duties in my country are skyrocketing). I recently asked one of my friends to get the new Porsche 918 Spyder in white colour with the Martini livery. When he first sent me the pictures from USA, the model seemed alright and I did not bat an eye on the packaging much cause it was in the usual styrofoam box that all the Autoart signature series come in. I just got my hand on it yesterday and when I open the box, I found that the side mirror on the right side is out of position already and when I unscrewed it from the box and took it out, it was off completely :shame: .

I never had this issue with any of the previous models that I got from Autoart as their packaging is always spot on and doesn't let the model to even move a little. I found that this specific box was not covering the side of the model properly as compared to the other boxes I already have from Autoart.

Am I being paranoid because my scale model has its side mirror broken or is Autoart a little flimsy about the box of this specific model?

Cheers.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: AutoArt Porsche 918 Spyder Packaging

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:41 am

Hey issues arise from all brands. Can it be glued back into position? Why didn't your friend review the model prior?

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

I had the same issue with mine. Not sure it was a packaging or QC issue. I fixed it myself: drilled & added a tiny metal insert then glued the mirror it back. Stronger than just gluing it back.

sushi2526

Post by sushi2526 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 am

Update with pictures.

When my friend received it and opened it to check it seemed all okay.

ImagePorsche autoart 918 spyder by t_sushant_94, on Flickr

He then made sure that the package was sealed again with tape and got it.

When I finally got it home and opened it, at first I did not observe that the side mirror was a little bit off from its usual position.

Image20171211_213412 by t_sushant_94, on Flickr

And after I unscrewed and opened the box again, uneventfully the side mirror was broken.

ImageDamaged Porsche 918 Spyder by Autoart by t_sushant_94, on Flickr

I still could fix it with some glue. But my concern was on the packaging. If you see in the second picture, the styrofoam doesn't cover the whole car till the side mirrors but the top of the box does. I haven't seen this in the other boxes of autoart. I feel it makes the model move around a bit, which is not good while shipping. The baggage handlers usually throw the suitcases and obviously would cause some movement. I previously got a Mclaren P1 and an Aventador roadster in the same way and none of them had any damage. I later observed the boxes and the model was well inside the bottom portion of the box.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:59 am

Why not get an exchange?

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Is that really worth an exchange, esp from his location? At the end of the day, you A). spend 1 minute and glue the mirror back carefully for a clean look and move on, or B). repackage, ship wait for days/weeks, and get another one and start over.

Obviously for the modern prices, we expect perfect models, but you need to assess what problems/issues are really worth the work/headache/waiting of a replacement. Although I am usually frustrated with any issues I have on models I get, but 99% i end up fixing myself, getting over it, and down the road completely forget it ever existed in the first place.

Return to “AUTOart”