1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL Roadster (W198) - Minichamps

Minichamps (PMA) related news, headlines and general discussion.
Florin

1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL Roadster (W198) - Minichamps

Post by Florin » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:07 pm

Hi all. This is a story that started off as not so positive but it ended up on a happy note.

For any classic car enthusiast the W198 300SL is simply a legend, needing no introduction. Better known for its coupe versions (the famous Gull-wing Mercedes), the evolution of this model was very interesting to say the least as the coupes were made between 1954 and 1957 and the roadsters continuing from 1957 until 1963. Some say Mr. Max Hoffmann the US Mercedes importer demanded a high performance open top car and after the huge success of the Gull-Wing coupes Mercedes has listened to him and granted his request.

As a Mercedes fan I did have a roadster in my collection, however being from 2001 the options back then were very limited, so like anyone else I also had the Bburago model, which was a prime candidate for an upgrade. It was a gift from someone dear to me and I don't think I will let it go (not that it is a valuable model these days anyway). A while back while working on my display cabinets, I started looking for what is available online as upgrades for the lower detail models I had. I did find a supplier which listed the red and the white roadsters in stock however when I tried to place the order it said to contact them via email. As it turns out the website was outdated and the stock was long gone, so I turned to Ebay. After seeing the insane prices there, I turned away as fast as I could. That is when I posted in the Minichamps news tread if anyone knew if these are coming back. Then I went to check with Minichamps and what do you know? They listed the white 504 piece Limited Ed model as low stock but available, so I placed the order on Feb 7. They shipped it on the 9th with DHL from Germany and it arrived on Feb 18. Apparently there are blue and black versions coming soon, but after seeing it in white I prefer it this way.

Minichamps was one of my favorite manufacturers and this model reminds me why. It is well made of course full opening diecast construction, with a good amount of details such as the fitted luggage in the trunk/removable rubber mat and spare wheel which are nice touches, so is the removable soft top which is a flat black/rubbery texture that resembles a fabric top very well. I found no defects. The only criticism I have is why did they have to give it the US spec headlamps, instead of the sleeker European version (which equip the Bburago)??? The headlights themselves are very well detailed btw. Oh well, it's mine now and that is what matters.

old vs new - you can see why I prefer the Euro lights:

[KRAFTIG]

Re: 1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL Roadster (W198) - Minichamps

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Great model! It is one of the last good ones from Minichamps. Once my favourite brand, I now never consider one. You definitely inspired me to buy one. Found a Red one for decent price months back. Thanks, Florin!

Gavin

Re: 1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL Roadster (W198) - Minichamps

Post by Gavin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 am

absolutely love it. I've been very tempted by the Roadster, but since I have 2 of the Minichamps Gullwings, I passed. They did a great job on both.

Return to “Minichamps (Paul's Model Art)”