Minichamps BMW 3.0CSL (E9)

Minichamps (PMA) related news, headlines and general discussion.
Gavin

Minichamps BMW 3.0CSL (E9)

Post by Gavin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm

The E9-series is one of my favorites. I absolutely love the styling & they have aged well. Released in 1968, the E9 replaced the New Class Coupes, the 2000C & CS with 6-cylinder power in the 2800CS & eventually the 3.0CS & CSi models (AA released the E9 3.0CSi). The 3.0 CSL is a lightweight, performance-oriented version of the standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi coupe. It was originally developed as a homologation model for the German Touring Car Championship by a separate division within BMW AG, a division that would later become BMW Motorsport GmbH. Though the M1 is BMW Motorsport's first official model, the 3.0CSL was developed by the same group within BMW. The later cars, nicknamed the "Batmobile" featured a more aggressive front air dam & large rear spoiler, along with a removable "racing kit" (Minichamps produced these as well & just released one in black).

This model doesn't disappoint, especially for a model released in 2001. This Polaris Metallic (silver) CSL was Minichamps' first release of the E9 mold. Great details & fine overall execution at a reasonable price. One feature I always thought was strange was the lack of side window...only on the driver's side. The passenger side has the window (making the door difficult to open).

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Minichamps BMW 3.0CSL (E9)

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:53 pm

That's different. Nice pics sir!

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Well I was gonna get one of these but your pics are better than my naked eye for picking up details! Awesome stuff Gavin! I have been wanting to see more of this one!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks, KRAFTIG!
Josh wrote:Well I was gonna get one of these but your pics are better than my naked eye for picking up details! Awesome stuff Gavin! I have been wanting to see more of this one!
Really appreciate that, Josh. Glad to help. I love this model. I passed on the AA, as I thought one street E9 was enough. The AA was released a bit later & may be a better model, if you only need one.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks for the info Gavin, I think the one you have is just fine though.

Autobahn

Post by Autobahn » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:01 pm

I have the Aa E9 3.0CSi, and it is still one of my favorite models overall. This, however, looks fantastic. I don't know how it compares to the Aa CSL, but I am impressed with the details on this one, as well as your detailed photos. You can even see the color name (Polaris) on the tag under the hood. I think it looks cool in Taiga Green too, but this is the proper color in my opinion.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Autobahn wrote:You can even see the color name (Polaris) on the tag under the hood.
Thanks, Matt.

I thought that was a particularly cool detail...something I hadn't noticed before, though not sure I could have read it anyway.

I really like 2 Blues that AA did...Fjord Blue Metallic for the DE & Baikal Blue metallic for the regular.

Return to “Minichamps (Paul's Model Art)”