Why would Maisto do this?

Maisto and Exclusive related news, headlines and general discussion.
CarcrazyinArkansas

Why would Maisto do this?

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Bought a Special Edition diecast Maisto 1/24 scale 2020 Corvette Stingray Coupe. It had both front and rear panels cut out but riveted shut. I bought an Assembly Line version thinking the kit would have those panels operable and not riveted shut. Both versions have the panels cut out, riveted shut and all HINGES underneath. :roll: Why would Maisto rivet them shut when they are fully capable of opening and closing. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Thanks for your ideas. I tried contacting Maisto a number of ways and heard nothing from them.
Last edited by CarcrazyinArkansas on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Why would Maisto do this?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:37 am

Is it easier to produce and cut costs, or does a licence limit accessibility ??

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:58 pm

Just a quick internet search, and I found the model on Amazon.

Interesting that the promo picture shows the doors functional.

https://www.amazon.com/Maisto-Assembly- ... B09TN6XCYP

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:43 pm

I don't follow Maisto 1/24s, but do any of the newer releases have full openings or just the doors?

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:44 pm

Gavin, I have bought a few Maistos from CVS and most of the ones they are currently selling have opening doors BUT have some panels riveted shut but cut out, and no hinges. One in particular, a 1970 Dodge Challenger was this way. I have an older version of the exact casting that has hood, doors and trunk all opening. On the CVS unit the trunk was riveted shut so I had to make hinges as none were cast on it.
Last edited by CarcrazyinArkansas on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarcrazyinArkansas

Post by CarcrazyinArkansas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:44 pm

Oldtimer, I got the two 2020 Corvettes from Amazon, one a Special Edition and the other an Assembly Line after seeing first that the Special Edition panels were riveted. I ordered the Assembly Line unit thinking that it would have the opening parts since it is priced higher than a pre-built Special Edition. There's no difference between them other than one is pre-built and the other is already assembled.

I drilled out the rivets on the Assembly Line and it works and looks fine. Will do the Special Edition, too, now that the hinges work and there are no complications in getting the panels to open and close.

Still wonder why Maisto does this riveting bit when really there is nothing else to add to the model as far as I can see which would be an economic consideration.

Return to “Maisto | Exclusive”