Norev 2009 Audi S5 Coupe--red

Norev related news, headlines and general discussion.
Gavin

Norev 2009 Audi S5 Coupe--red

Post by Gavin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 pm

One of my favorite cars on the road today...the S5 still looks as fresh today, as it did upon its release in 2007. I've wanted this model for a while, but didn't really want black, so I held out for this fantastic shade of red. A really well done model (almost, but not quite Kyosho level, In my opinion), but the stock ride height is pretty much ridiculous. Norev did fix their other blunder from the first releases...which showed the V8 side badges, but the actual SuperCharged V6 under the hood. The engine is still there, but the badges are gone. But the 1:1 Coupes didn't get the V6T until 2013 (Cabrios have always had the V6T), along with very slight styling updates...so its still not quite right.

I really don't know how a model with a stance this far off gets produced. Lowering it was a giant pain in the butt, as my normal method of inserting a shim of some sort into the compressed spring didn't work. I ended up removing the chassis & removed all 4 springs completely. The front still rides a touch high, but would need grinding down to go lower...which I don't really want to do. Still...the result is a HUGE improvement, In my opinion.

stock (it really is this bad & looks worse in person :doh: )

all my pics are after lowering. :woot:

chrome tie-down hooks..nice touch.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Norev 2009 Audi S5 Coupe--red

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Great work on the stance. They should of left the badges, and swapped the motor. Still is the best Audi S5 available in 1:18. This is from Norev's HQ series (high quality), though not perfect I'll take it.

Do you have a step by step so I can lower mine :)

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I actually like it without the badges, as I usually remove the badges from my 1:1's as well.

I'll see if I can try & remember the process, as it was very much a trial & error thing.

There is a plastic cover that covers the front axle. I popped that up (it kind of hinges towards the front of the car)...this took some work, but a small flat screwdriver did the job. Once that was up, the entire front axle is able to be pulled out. I then removed the springs & reversed the job.

For the rear, the entire chassis needs to be removed, as the rear axle is screwed into place from the top. There are 6 small screws that need to be removed...1 under each wheel (turn the fronts, gently bend the back ones) & 1 on each rocker panel. I also removed the exhaust from the rear differential back (it just pops out) & the plastic cover that is molded as the rear suspension components. I then just worked the chassis back & forth until it came loose. Once it was completely off, remove the 2 small screws that hold the rear axle in place & remove the springs. Reverse everything to put it back together.

Took me about an hour, but a lot of that was trying to figure out how to make it happen.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Gavin wrote:I actually like it without the badges, as I usually remove the badges from my 1:1's as well.

I'll see if I can try & remember the process, as it was very much a trial & error thing.

There is a plastic cover that covers the front axle. I popped that up (it kind of hinges towards the front of the car)...this took some work, but a small flat screwdriver did the job. Once that was up, the entire front axle is able to be pulled out. I then removed the springs & reversed the job.

For the rear, the entire chassis needs to be removed, as the rear axle is screwed into place from the top. There are 6 small screws that need to be removed...1 under each wheel (turn the fronts, gently bend the back ones) & 1 on each rocker panel. I also removed the exhaust from the rear differential back (it just pops out) & the plastic cover that is molded as the rear suspension components. I then just worked the chassis back & forth until it came loose. Once it was completely off, remove the 2 small screws that hold the rear axle in place & remove the springs. Reverse everything to put it back together.

Took me about an hour, but a lot of that was trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 am

No problem...good luck!

diecast

Post by diecast » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Looks really sexy in Red ..

Give me some lessons how to lower the car .. its so good now. :manual:

Return to “Norev”