Exoto QA rant thread

Exoto and Motrbox related news, headlines and general discussion.
StratosWRC

Exoto QA rant thread

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:10 pm

So I've owned several Exoto models and thought I'd write a rant about an issue that's been bugging me. It revolves around their QA, or lack thereof. I've noticed a pattern with their models. The higher-end models that I've owned - GT40 mkII, 934 RSR, AC Cobra 289, Cobra Daytona (mid to high end?) have all been flawless. No paint flaws, beautifully fitting panels and no parts missing. The lower to middle end models have almost all come to me with some sort of flaw that originated during the manufacturing process. A Jaguar XJR9 has a rear clamshell that is clearly off on one side and looks like those annoying times when you're trying to fit a part back onto a model, but the shutline just won't tighten back to the way it was before, at least not until you start swearing at it. Except it's that way forever. Just sorta bent. Came that way in the box. QA must have missed it. Exhibit B, Porsche 910, which I have since sold, had paint flaws. It looks like someone went at one of the front flanks with a fingertip version of steel wool. Clear scratches and imperfections. Again, came that way out of the box. None of these were pre-owned. Corvette Grand Sport Roadster - a paint flaw on the hood that looks like someone sneezed on the unpainted surface, said "ah, whatever" and proceeded to paint over it. It's just annoying cause most of these models were either bought straight from Exoto, and the others from Ebay (not previously owned), and there is no flaw pattern in regards to where it came from. A pattern only emerges when you start comparing lower priced vs higher priced items and it's quite clear that when it comes to the lower priced pieces, they just don't give a shit. Unless of course they only send you flawed items when you buy them on sale, which kinda makes it even worse. "Oh here, this guy bought it on sale. We have this perfect one and one with a messed up paint job. Send him that one". I honestly would believe it. Rant over. Feel free to add to the Exoto rant bucket!

P.S.: I have two more pieces on the way, both purchased reduced on the Exoto website, a Lotus 49B and a Chapparral 2/2C. I'll update this post when I get them.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Exoto QA rant thread

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 am

A pattern only emerges when you start comparing lower priced vs higher priced items and it's quite clear that when it comes to the lower priced pieces, they just don't give a shit. Unless of course they only send you flawed items when you buy them on sale
You could be right. But I bought a few $98 models and they were issue free, examples below - though one is a Schuco branded. I challenge you to email them about the situation and gauge their response. Please share with us

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Could just be my luck. I don't wanna email them cause they'll say "well send it back to us and we'll send you a new one", after which I'll have to back-and-forth a ton of emails with pictures and proof, etc and I just don't wanna bother. I guess it's irritating cause cheaper Autoart models have never given me a single problem, while I've already had 3 with Exoto.

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:33 pm

You should know that Jaguar XJR-9 and Porsche 910 are from Exoto's Motorbox series which means less details and lower quality.
They are assembled in Dubai, UAE.

But even those models which are not from Motorbox series sometime are just copied 1:12 kits of Tamiya and other manufacturers.
Some of them are out of scale.
It is highly possible that Exoto didn't even have license for Ferrari and Jaguar models.
Rare models which are developed on their own and are licensed are Ford GT40 Mk.2, Ford 999, all Chaparrals and probably some more.
And these models are brilliant.

You should read this:
http://www.modelcar.hk/?p=9752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/to ... -diecasts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope Davide won't mind these links.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I hope KRAFTIG won't mind these links.
I do not, unlike other boards... :tut:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Sanchez wrote:You should know that Jaguar XJR-9 and Porsche 910 are from Exoto's Motorbox series which means less details and lower quality.
They are assembled in Dubai, UAE.

But even those models which are not from Motorbox series sometime are just copied 1:12 kits of Tamiya and other manufacturers.
Some of them are out of scale.
It is highly possible that Exoto didn't even have license for Ferrari and Jaguar models.
Rare models which are developed on their own and are licensed are Ford GT40 Mk.2, Ford 999, all Chaparrals and probably some more.
And these models are brilliant.

You should read this:
http://www.modelcar.hk/?p=9752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/to ... -diecasts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope KRAFTIG won't mind these links.
That is good to know. Even so, one would think that they'd still examine the models before sending them out. It feels like they try to get away with it.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:43 pm

It annoys me when someone frequently get a bad model from a company. But, of all my Exoto's, from the old $99 models to the new $800 246, have not had any QC issues. Some I have bought new and some used.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:52 pm

I swear I must have bad luck

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 pm

So the Lotus came and looks good. Lets hope the Chaparral will be good too

jface

Post by jface » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 am

I disagree I have owned many exoto models and have even experienced qc issues on expensive models. My most expensive being the ford gt40 with doors that didn't close properly and my jag has the same clam shell issue as you.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I realized I forgot to comment on the Chapparral, but it came and it had no issues. Still that's a whopping 3 models with issues. Expensive models.

OCD Collector

Post by OCD Collector » Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 pm

I have every D Type, 246, Sharknose, & Alfetta produced, including limited edition models, collectors club etc. I have had numerous little issues. I also have all Saubers, plus every transporter gift set. I find little rivets & tiny parts sometimes in the box & have sat for hours threading them back in tiny holes, etc. My feeling is there is a fine line between creating level of detail XS series has & then packaging, shipping, assembly, etc. They are extremely delicate, which is due to the level of quality. Lacking in detail NO way, Lacking in quality NO way, & the rest is the reality of intricate parts providing the detail. When you consider what you are getting it is overwhelming. I enjoy the challenge of re connecting little parts etc. & have no complaints with Exoto. It is a specialized company, providing a highly specialized product, to a limited market, & there is no way they go to the extreme they do for quality & detail to not attempt to deliver a perfect product. I believe it is the reality of how specialized they are. My only gripe is that it would be amazing if they would sell small parts as I have no problem doing a minor repair but parts are not available. I believe if they were the majority of complaints or returns would go away as most collectors would not mind. The Sauber antennas especially as I have broken so many reaching over them in a cabinet etc. At least sell the parts commonly broken.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu May 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Parts coming loose I have no problem with, as with 2600 of them on the D-type, for example, something is bound to break loose. My issues were things like paint rash out of the box, scuff marks on the paint, crooked body work.

Return to “Exoto | Motorbox”