How does TSM stack up

TrueScale Miniatures, Collection d’Elegance, and TopSpeed related news, headlines and general discussion.
Canadian Wrench Head

How does TSM stack up

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:35 am

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to get some opinions on the fit and finish/quality of TSM. Im interested in Mclaren F1 GTR's and TSM as well as Mini Champs are currently producing the same models.

I just found out the TSM made a Papaya Orange Mclaren F1 LM as well. I purchased the Auto Art 1:18 version that I absolutely love to death. Has anyone seen both models and give their opinion on this?

Thanks Everyone, just trying to do my research on other companies. Auto art and Hot Wheels Elite are my two favourite but Im always open to other companies as I don't want to be "totally" blinded by brand loyalty.

slartibartfast229

Re: how does TSM stack up

Post by slartibartfast229 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:19 am

Newer TSM releases are sealed - for the most part. I have three items from them, and I have no complaints whether sealed or not. Perhaps that would be the decider for you? I also have several Autoart models, and the quality varies. It depends on the era they were produced in. My Autoart Ford Sierra RS500 is better than the Minichamps version I have, but only in the details. Shape and build quality are about the same.

Canadian Wrench Head

Re: how does TSM stack up

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:29 am

so, are all TSM sealed now? are the resin( hence the sealed)?

ill admit, I do like opening parts

StratosWRC

Re: How does TSM stack up

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:12 am

The F1 LM hasn't been released yet. It's like a year late. If a TSM model has an "R" at the end of its item number, then it's made of resin. They're good but their QC can be atrocious. They still use waterslide decals as well. Their tires often melt and a couple of models (F1) have paint problems. I'm guessing their new models have been delayed because of this, at least I hope so. I have three of their models, the Porsche 936, 935, and the McLaren M8D Can-Am car. No issues with the latter, but the first two get melting tire patches and the 936 has poorly fitting wheels and bodywork, while the 935 has decals that are starting to dry out a bit.

slartibartfast229

Post by slartibartfast229 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:33 pm

A good trick for dealing with waterslide decals that are drying is to cover them with liquid flloor wax using a brand new craft paintbrush.
The floor wax I use is Pledge 'Klear'. It's best to lay the model on the side for a flat surface to prevent running or drips (and the applied coating should be quite thin anyway) for those decals along the side. I use it for model building over such decals and it preserves them very nicely.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm

I'm new to this whole die cast thing.

Could someone please tell me/show me the difference between a "tampon" decal and a waterside decal? or any other types of decals used on die cast. Which ones are the best?

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Well tampon, or "tampo" prints are basically paint stamps that can be made into various shapes. Works well with tricky bodywork. Decals have to be put in water to be softened and then manipulated into place on the model. Decals dry and crack over time, unless they're coated with some kind of clear layer, which they are never ever. Tampos last a long time. Not sure I've ever seen one messed up. Then you have Exoto's "painted on" graphics. These are flush with the body and are forever.

Canadian Wrench Head

Post by Canadian Wrench Head » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 pm

well, thanks for the info

jimpy

Post by jimpy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi, just picked up the lotus 56 Indy car. Detail is brilliant. However can I get the nose to fit cleanly with the body? Nope! Let's hope they bring out a pit crew for it

Return to “TrueScale Miniatures | Collection d’Elegance | TopSpeed”