Revell Auto Union Type C (WR)

Revell related news, headlines and general discussion.
[KRAFTIG]

Revell Auto Union Type C (WR)

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 am

The latest load from Modelissimo arrived earlier this week. The first of four models is the Revell Auto Union Type C World Record Car (more on the record breaker below). This one's from the good old days of quality models for less. Revell where are you with sweet releases like this today? It was listed on Modelissimo's site as "new" but I'm sure this model was released a few years ago if not long (can anyone confirm?) The paint is rich and smooth, the body finish is perfect for the era, which brings a little more authenticity to the model. The motor detail is top notch and reveals more expensive models commanding 5 times as much. The hunk of metal covering the motor is heavy, giving an impression of quality and value. Lastly this thing is HUGE measuring a full 12 inches across with the box measuring a whopping 16 inches, wow! Enjoy the pics!

"At the beginning of the thirties, Ferdinand Porsche was working on the development of a sixteen cylinder racing car that was noteworthy for its rear-mounted engine. On the basis of this design, in 1934 the Auto Union Type A started as a speed record car that also came to be used almost unchanged in Grand Prix races. From 1935, for the world record trials, Auto Union reverted to the aerodynamic body panels that had been developed from the results of tests carried out in the wind tunnel of the German aeronautical research establishment. It was particulary striking for the flat, compact, almost futuristic bodywork that Auto Union had used in 1937 for the world record trials on the type C, which differed only in minor details from the racing car. The Auto Union Type C streamlined version had a 6005 cc 16 cylinder engine which delivered 520 bhb at 5000 rpm. In October 1937 on the Frankfurt-Darmstadt stretch of the Autobahn Bernd Rosemeyer created a legend by breaking 15 records in three days. Among these he reached a sensational top speed over a mile of 406,3 kph from a flying start and 216.4 kph from a standing start over the same distance."

StratosWRC

Re: Revell Auto Union Type C (WR)

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:45 pm

What a cool model. I want one!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Wes they come up from time to time on eBay, usually at a reasonable price too. If I'm not mistaken the model may have be re-released too.

Oh there are also "livery" version too!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:06 pm

I like world record cars so the number isn't a requirement. I'll add it to my wish list.

Return to “Revell”