1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL Pagoda W113 - Schuco

Schuco related news, headlines and general discussion.
Florin

1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL Pagoda W113 - Schuco

Post by Florin » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi all. Before I stopped buying models in 2015, a Schuco release of a car I wanted was music to my ears. Receiving a Schuco model made me feel like a kid on the Christmas morning. I love to see them still in the game and staying with full featured diecast models, rather than resin/composite/etc. As a Mercedes fan I did have a Pagoda in my collection, bought back in 2000. It was an Anson and it looked surprisingly well on the shelf in the company of more expensive models. Now let's not get carried away, the headlight mounting pins were there and it was a bit off scale, so an upgrade was a good choice. I think the Moosgrun metallic color suits this car very well.

The model is well made, however it is pretty fragile. A chrome strip ornament from the front fender fell off (re attached with a little Tamyia glue without an issue). There are some small details such as the key in the ignition and the opening glove box which were surprising. The trunk opens nice and wide and the hinges are well replicated, there is also a non removable spare wheel. The 2.8L inline-6 (code M130) engine is also well replicated. There is a brown colored soft top included, but for the life of me I can't understand why couldn't Schuco include the Pagoda hardtop that is so famous??? Bottom line is that this model ended up costing me about $110 (Canadian) + shipping, so it is a sub $100US model! At this price point it is a fine piece.

Some pictures:

Old and new:

The SL shelf before and after:

[KRAFTIG]

Re: 1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL Pagoda W113 - Schuco

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 pm

Looks great Florin, thanks for sharing!!

Gavin

Re: 1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL Pagoda W113 - Schuco

Post by Gavin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:28 am

I love this color. It is a real shame that the hardtop isn't included, as that's one of this generation's most famous parts. My main issue with this model is the windows in the up position. On a Roadster, that's a real head scratcher. :scratchhead:

Return to “Schuco”