Dirty Schuco Question

Schuco related news, headlines and general discussion.
Castbub Cartung

Dirty Schuco Question

Post by Castbub Cartung » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi all,

So, got my first four Schuco 1:18 T1 buses today ordered on eBay from a fairly local retailer. Far from impressed, actually wondering what kind of nonsense I'm throwing my money at now.

Out of the four, three have issues.

One is an outright return (Martini) that came out of the box with a missing front turn signal and a driver door literally falling off. A turn signal fell off my b&W Samba when I took it out of the styro.

A Familia with a missing tail light lens, allegedly 1 out of 300 and no numbered plaque? There are other things but will leave it there. All were taped styro when they came out of the box, looked like single pieces of original packing tape on either side.

My first question is, these were made in China according to the boxes. Are some Schuco vans made in China and some in Germany? All made in China? Did I just buy knock-offs?

Also, is this the kind of quality one can expect from Schuco in general because I'm astounded and not in a good way? Is this the state of the hobby? Really? If so I'll be done so I'm hoping someone can offer some words of wisdom.

I have quite a few more of these coming from Germany so doing nothing but hoping for the best now.

BTW, the dealer is very gracious and understanding, thankfully an hour away by car. We have already arranged for replacement and refund.

Thanks for any comments!

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Dirty Schuco Question

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 am

Schuco is another company that is losing its identity. I have 10-12 Schuco items in my collection. The old stuff is killer, the resin line is a bit rubbish - the Maybach Vision 6 Cabriolet Concept was somewhat of a disappointment, especially the QC issues. I have a couple of buses, older stock, love them. However, the front door was loose, under closer inspection the tiny metal pin which makes the connection in the cool hinge work fell out during shipping. A few minutes of trial and error and it was fixed. Some of their recent Porsches, last few years i.e 911 S 2.4 Targa (1973) are nothing like the old stuff. Okay, nothing more!

To be honest for the most part the models I receive are usually good and meet my expectations. Recently I purchased a couple of Top Marque production both had serious issues, which I fixed to my satisfaction. Thankfully the retailer was fare. Shopping brick and mortar is best but that is getting difficult today...

Castbub Cartung

Post by Castbub Cartung » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 am
Schuco is another company that is losing its identity. I have 10-12 Schuco items in my collection. The old stuff is killer, the resin line is a bit rubbish - the Maybach Vision 6 Cabriolet Concept was somewhat of a disappointment, especially the QC issues. I have a couple of buses, older stock, love them. However, the front door was loose, under closer inspection the tiny metal pin which makes the connection in the cool hinge work fell out during shipping. A few minutes of trial and error and it was fixed. Some of their recent Porsches, last few years i.e 911 S 2.4 Targa (1973) are nothing like the old stuff. Okay, nothing more!

To be honest for the most part the models I receive are usually good and meet my expectations. Recently I purchased a couple of Top Marque production both had serious issues, which I fixed to my satisfaction. Thankfully the retailer was fare. Shopping brick and mortar is best but that is getting difficult today...

Hi [KARTIG],

Thanks for taking the time to add that.

I took a couple of my buses out to the shop today and it was a happy ending. The one bus that was exchanged for the "defective" one just had a different but less severe flaw but it'll be loved now. Couldn't resist getting a Minichamps two-tone Hebmuller Beetle while I was there, having the luxury to look her over first and all, etc.

Indeed, buying brick & mortar like you say is the way to go and the only way I'll buy anything else. Turns-out I have a wonderful shop an hour and a bit away so perhaps a visit every once in a while looks like the ticket. If my orders that are about to arrive don't sour me again. ;)

I tend to agree with your sentiments about eBay being somewhat detrimental to the hobby. Despite affording access to pretty much whatever one could want, if I couldn't have gone to the shop and sorted things out with the owner today and simply had to force a refund... well, you saw my posts. I'm feeling a bit better about things today suffice it to say and I think the seller does too because I will go back.

Cheers, thanks again and good luck out there!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Nice to hear. Do us a solid, tell them to advertise here with DS :)

Return to “Schuco”