Schuco Porsche Cayman GT4 (981)

Schuco related news, headlines and general discussion.
David

Schuco Porsche Cayman GT4 (981)

Post by David » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 pm

First Schuco in my collection and what a great way to debute with one of the best Porsche ever produced.

Schuco did a fine job with this GT4. Overall execution is nice. Wheels are perfectly sized which serves the look of the car. However, the yellow paint is a little thick and I also have minor paint issues.

With the GT Spirit released few months ago, the comparison is inevitable.

Straight to the point, the GT Spirit exterior is just superior. The paint, the execution and the finish are top notch. I just love their attention to small details.
On the other hand, the Schuco is less refined (except for the rear wing) but It comes with opening part. The interior looks great but there is nothing much to see underneath the boot and the trunk.

The GT Spirit is on the pricey side (+20€ more) as it is a Dealer Edition. I would suggest to wait for the white version unless you want a blue or red GT4 or that you love display your model under a display case. If you aim for a refine exterior, then GT Spirit is the way to go!
Schuco is an excellent and cheaper alternative to the sealed DE GT4s, with opening parts. There is really nothing much to fault. It's just a great modelcar priced right.

David, happy owner of both. :)

Focus - Porsche Cayman GT4 (981) - Schuco 1/18 by David TRIN, on Flickr

Focus - Porsche Cayman GT4 (981) - Schuco / GT Spirit 1/18 by David TRIN, on Flickr

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Schuco Porsche Cayman GT4 (981)

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:51 pm

David thanks for sharing the photos. I have mine in the mail along with the Targa. I see you have the black paint issue on the rear bumper, poor form and really unexpected from Schuco. The price is good, I will personally take diecast with opening parts over resin any day of the week.
Schuco is less refined (except for the rear wing) but It comes with opening part
What do you mean here?

J-B

Post by J-B » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Great pics. Can't wait to get mine!

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 pm

I think David meant that the Schuco body panel lines are not as sharp as the GTS. I can also see the Schuco has casting issues and the paint is too thick (maybe a way to hide issues). In the end resin vs diecast is a trade off between exact body & panel shape and opening parts.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Unlike other Schuco models, this does have a whiff of cheapness about it. And it should, considering it's 30%+ cheaper than them.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:27 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Unlike other Schuco models, this does have a whiff of cheapness about it. And it should, considering it's 30%+ cheaper than them.
I'll be the honest judge of that once I have one in hand. Not like them, maybe it was rushed... I would have rather waited longer to get a near perfect model. :fingercrossed:

the1

Post by the1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 am

There was a theory indicating this is in fact made by Century Dragon for Schuco, which would explain its rougher edges and smaller price.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 am

the1 wrote:There was a theory indicating this is in fact made by Century Dragon for Schuco, which would explain its rougher edges and smaller price.
China! Where these rumors at!? :deal:

the1

Post by the1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:11 am

I remember reading this on the... other forum (xchange).

damnyouebay

Post by damnyouebay » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 am

That makes a lot of sense, actually, on closeups I dont get the Schuco feelz of this or the 991.

This is a proper dilemma. I want the opening option, but the sealed one looks better. *first world problems*

Probably just gonna stay away from both.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 am

David wrote:David, happy owner of both. :)
LOL, David. :P

Brilliant pics & great review...love reading your threads. That Sapphire Blue GTS :drool:
damnyouebay wrote:This is a proper dilemma. I want the opening option, but the sealed one looks better. *first world problems*
exactly how I feel. Something about the GTS just looks right...but I do prefer an opening diecast & its significantly cheaper. The wheels/tires on the GTS look better too, In my opinion.

GTS

Schuco

the1

Post by the1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:06 am

First world problem, indeed. If we didn't have the option of an opening die-cast we would have said we want one. Now that the Schuco is finally here, we wonder if we should pull the trigger. :)

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 pm

I am also on the fence with this one. It is not a great looking car to begin with, very benign design. SO I might just get something else. Seems like a lot of highly antcipated release are coming out here lately and I can only get so many boxes past the wife! LOL

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Seems like a lot of highly antcipated release are coming out here lately and I can only get so many boxes past the wife! LOL
:lol:

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:15 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:David thanks for sharing the photos. I have mine in the mail along with the Targa. I see you have the black paint issue on the rear bumper, poor form and really unexpected from Schuco. The price is good, I will personally take diecast with opening parts over resin any day of the week.
Yeah, it's a little sloppy but not shocking in hand.
Schuco is less refined (except for the rear wing) but It comes with opening part

What do you mean here?
What Atalante said but also wanted to say that the Schuco comes with movable parts which compensates the lack of refinement.
J-B wrote:Great pics. Can't wait to get mine!
You won't be dissapoint!
Atalante wrote:I think David meant that the Schuco body panel lines are not as sharp as the GTS. I can also see the Schuco has casting issues and the paint is too thick (maybe a way to hide issues). In the end resin vs diecast is a trade off between exact body & panel shape and opening parts.
Exactly!
StratosWRC wrote:Unlike other Schuco models, this does have a whiff of cheapness about it. And it should, considering it's 30%+ cheaper than them.
The yellow isn't helping. In my book, their 911 GTS look cheaper.
[KRAFTIG] wrote:I'll be the honest judge of that once I have one in hand. Not like them, maybe it was rushed... I would have rather waited longer to get a near perfect model. :fingercrossed:
Not rushed at all. I would be surprised if you don't like it. ;)
the1 wrote:There was a theory indicating this is in fact made by Century Dragon for Schuco, which would explain its rougher edges and smaller price.
Well, quality is great! Great collaboration if rumors are true. I wouldn't mind more Porsches. :D
damnyouebay wrote:That makes a lot of sense, actually, on closeups I dont get the Schuco feelz of this or the 991.

This is a proper dilemma. I want the opening option, but the sealed one looks better. *first world problems*

Probably just gonna stay away from both.
Haha I feel sorry for you. Just wait for a good deal to appear.
Gavin wrote:
David wrote:David, happy owner of both. :)
LOL, David. :P

Brilliant pics & great review...love reading your threads. That Sapphire Blue GTS :drool:
Thanks a lot Gavin!
GTS' Sapphire Blue is phenomenal. :rockon:
Gavin wrote:
damnyouebay wrote:This is a proper dilemma. I want the opening option, but the sealed one looks better. *first world problems*
exactly how I feel. Something about the GTS just looks right...but I do prefer an opening diecast & its significantly cheaper. The wheels/tires on the GTS look better too, In my opinion.

GTS

Schuco
I will do a comparison soon. It will highlight the main (small) differences.
the1 wrote:First world problem, indeed. If we didn't have the option of an opening die-cast we would have said we want one. Now that the Schuco is finally here, we wonder if we should pull the trigger. :)
Wait for the comparo. It might help you make your decision.
Josh wrote:I am also on the fence with this one. It is not a great looking car to begin with, very benign design. SO I might just get something else. Seems like a lot of highly antcipated release are coming out here lately and I can only get so many boxes past the wife! LOL
I personally love the design of the GT4 but I understand that some might not like it...The rear wing perhaps.
Beyond the design, I can't even imagine how is it behind the wheel.

Today, a Sapphire Blue GT4 passed by my flat with opened exhausts... *goosebumps*

Sorry for all the quotes. :lol:

Return to “Schuco”