CMC: Ferrari 250 GTO - Red

CMC related news, headlines and general discussion.
StratosWRC

Re: CMC: Ferrari 250 GTO - Red

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I don't know, I can't see most of what you're talking about, and what I can see doesn't really bother me. I was pretty sceptical when I first saw the pics, but once I held the model in my hand, it was a lot better. It's not very photogenic but looks good in person. I guess detail is just more important to me. Ignorance is bliss

But I don't like the fact that prices were so high despite the lack of a license. I agree that that is just greed.

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:26 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
except for the awful, awful wrong shape of it. This model does not "excels on EVERY level" over the Kyosho. And this is not my opinion, but a 100% fact.
Please elaborate? Since I consider you the resident Ferrari authority. Based on my understanding the model is replicated based on another 250 GTO, which differs from the the Kyosho replica. Aren't all the original 1:1 cars fabricated by hand, so in reality this is no exact mirror image.

Nothing against the Kyosho version, but the 250 GTO is one of my favorites Ferraris, like Wes I wanted the best possible detail. Like I also say, no model is perfect!

Ok. So CMC have made some sort of behind the scenes deal with Exoto, where they provide them their transporters, Exoto adds their models and sell outlandishly priced sets. I don't know what kind of drugs has Tony fed the CMC guys, but obviously they drank his cool-aid and decided they don't need a license to produce Ferrari models. But it was not so simple. They needed a loophole. And that loophole came in the shape of 250 GTO serial number 3809. That car was crashed early in its life and then repaired by incompetent shop in England. All this has been very well documented and it is well known fact that sn3809 has the ugliest most inaccurate nose of all the GTOs. This is the car that CMC decided to replicate in order to get around the intellectual property laws concerning the design of the GTO. Straight from the dirty little book of certain armenian hack. Which by the way is prime example why Exoto is like a cancer for the hobby that needs to be cut out like a tumor, but this is a whole other subject.
But even sn3809 has the flowing teardrop roof, which CMC have messed up. And yes all GTOs were hammered by hand. They have many small differences between them and altho some parts look identical, they are not interchangeable between cars. This is true all the way up to 308s actually, where the door of one car could be as much as inch and a half shorter than the same door from another car. With GTOs these differences were even greater. But their overall shape was the same. And NONE OF THEM had the profile and curves of the CMC model.
To make things worst, CMC have announced a rainbow of different versions of the car, which in real life had obvious differences, yet they are basing them on the same mold. This speaks volumes about few things. First, a complete disregard for accuracy, which is unacceptable at this price bracket. Second, it is complete ignorance towards collectors and their knowledge of the car. It is plain offensive to expect people to accept these as authentic. And last, but not least, speaks of fear. This is damage control. The absolutely deserved backlash the model met in collector's circles is making them think they would not be able to sell all their planned production, so they would offer more colors and variations in the hope that they will cash out better this way. I hope they crash and burn with this model and learn their lesson and get back to how they were doing things before. They were one of my all time "diecast heroes". But with their last few models are starting to lose my loyalty big time. And I am not the only one who feels that way.

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Maybe this could help a little, altho on Kraftig's pictures, the issues are even more pronounced.

And see the little vent and opening behind the side window? These are differences between the real cars they had. So this is not inaccurate. But the overall shape was the same between all the cars.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Micheal, where do you get this information from? Is is speculation, conjecture, or what not?
I don't know what kind of drugs has Tony fed the CMC guys, but obviously they drank his cool-aid and decided they don't need a license to produce Ferrari models. But it was not so simple. They needed a loophole. And that loophole came in the shape of 250 GTO serial number 3809
That's one thing I struggled with, if there was no fees for licensing why the new price point? :scratchhead:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:14 pm

You're right on all counts, can't deny that. I'm especially surprised they decided to use the same body for the racing versions. I am turning a blind eye to it cause being as picky as I am regarding hardcore detail and parts count, there are only two brands that routinely pump those out, which are Exoto and CMC. If I don't buy them, may as well leave the hobby, cause no other brands make me as happy. It's like having troubled children. They're not perfect but they're all I got.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Wes you need to seek medical attention :D

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:47 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Wes you need to seek medical attention :D

Lol I need a better brand!

Mikey MKIV

Post by Mikey MKIV » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 am

I am in the same boat as Wes, I am immediately sucked in by the detail and parts count, which no other manufacturer can compare with (at least with this car), which is why I bought this one. The engine, interior and chassis detail is incredible.

However, I do enjoy reading Lucky's no BS rants, his knowledge and eye to accuracy is top notch, and he does bring up good points. I sure am in a bind here, I want to sit and read his posts and bitch right along with him, but then I want to go downstairs and play with the model!! LOL

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 am

hahaha couldn't have said it better myself Mikey

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm

I sure am in a bind here, I want to sit and read his posts and bitch right along with him, but then I want to go downstairs and play with the model!! LOL
LOL :rotfl:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:10 pm

StratosWRC wrote:I need the detail a lot more than accuracy and overall shape. As long as it's 95% accurate, which it is, I'm happy.
A brilliantly detailed model for sure, but for me, the exterior lines are a massive let down. To be fair, I was never going to buy one anyway due to the price point (I don't have a single CMC in my collection).

I will say, that everytime I see my Kyosho or even see other pics on the forums, it kind of takes my breath away. I think Kyosho absolutely nailed the exterior lines, at least in my mind of what a 250GTO should look like. No CMC picture has done the same for me.

Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Gavin wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:I need the detail a lot more than accuracy and overall shape. As long as it's 95% accurate, which it is, I'm happy.
A brilliantly detailed model for sure, but for me, the exterior lines are a massive let down. To be fair, I was never going to buy one anyway due to the price point (I don't have a single CMC in my collection).

I will say, that everytime I see my Kyosho or even see other pics on the forums, it kind of takes my breath away. I think Kyosho absolutely nailed the exterior lines, at least in my mind of what a 250GTO should look like. No CMC picture has done the same for me.
That was exactly the point I was making. And it was not me bitching, but rather just explaining in detail why do I feel that way. In addition to the exterior I want to add that such seatbelts (as in the CMC GTO) have never existed i real life on any car, let alone put in a 250 GTO.
I have been building scale models competitively for years (on and off). I am talking about plastic kits. I have traveled around the country to attend different events and contests. I have participated in a lot of them, have won many trophies and I am three times national champion of building models. I have also been asked on numerous occasions to judge or help judge different classes. Based on this experience, there are two things I want to point out.
First, on any contest any modeler would tell you, that the basics are the most important thing and their execution far outweighs the amount of detailing. Example - You built a hot rod with all the wires and hoses and added photoetched bits and pieces all over its motor, but then put a Ford manifold on top of a Chevy motor. I am not even going to go into how some judges look if the wires are in the correct firing order. As far as the basics go, CMC has failed big with this model. And this is not a rant.
I was just trying to point out the glaring inaccuracies of the model for those who are not very familiar with the real car before they go spend their hard earned money just because of the hype.

Now, this is immediately recognizable as Mona Lisa and I have to admit liking bit titted blonds, but I wouldn't hang this on my wall.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:22 pm

I have to agree

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Mine never fails to take my breath away.

Beauty!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:08 pm

No idea why the first pic is that size

Return to “CMC”