All the CMC Engines

CMC related news, headlines and general discussion.
StratosWRC

All the CMC Engines

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:06 am

During the past couple of months, I rounded up the missing engines and now have all eight, so I thought I'd create a thread that can serve as reference and to show how awesome these little jewels are. I love engines and these are a good explanation as to why I only collect opening models. Having these is great cause when the engine is in the car, it's hard to see it from some angles and some details are missed. Also I love the presentation. The wooden base and the acrylic cover (not included in any of the pics) sure look super classy.

The eight are as follows:

Auto Union Type C
Ferrari 312P
Mercedes Benz 300SLR
Aston Martin DB4 GT
Maserati Tipo 61
Maserati 300S
Bugatti Type 57
Alfa Romeo 8C

I'll start with the Maserati 300S. I always love an engine with carburetors.

Now the Mercedes 300SLR, found in both the race cars and the Uhlenhaut specials. One of my favourites. Also the only engine to fall apart during shipping. Thankfully everything clicked back together perfectly.

And now the Ferrari 312P engine, which can be found in both the Berlinetta and Spyder, albeit with slight differences. You may remember this one from my Hot Wheels Elite 512S thread, where I shoehorned one of these into a Hot Wheels Elite model. So now I technically have 4 of these engines. 3 in the models, one standalone. I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Next up is the Alfa 8C, although I don't actually have the model yet, but hope to add it at some point. I used an Alfa 6C in the last pic instead, seeing as how it's a direct ancestor of this engine. I briefly entertained buying Minichamps' recent diecast and opening Alfa 8C 2900 Luongo in light blue and putting this engine into it. But I think it'll just be way too expensive.

The engine on the Aston DB4 GT Zagato is definitely one of my favourites. I just love the look of it and it's huge! Also very lucky to have the DB4 in Goodwood Green, which is an amazing looking model in this colour.

The Auto Union Type C engine was the first one produced by CMC and I'd have to say it's the most impressive. Looks like an engine from a fighter plane or something. It feels like it's from another planet. This one is also hard to come by these days. Unfortunately I don't have a single Auto Union model (yet) to pair it with. Waiting for the upcoming re-release of the Bergrenner.

I love the Birdcage and it's one of my most favourite CMC models. I love opening it up and looking at the architecture. It's a stupendously impressive model. The engine is great too, I just wish it faced the other way and the wires didn't stick out in all directions. It's also the only engine that comes with an opening lid.

I love unique looking engines, and the Bugatti Type 57SC unit is pretty cool looking. I love how boxy it is and the weird curvatures of some wires. The turned aluminium look is pretty stylish too.

That's all of them. It feels good to have collected everything that's been released in this series, even though it's just engines. Why some of the other engines haven't been released is anyone's guess. I would have loved the 250 SWB engine, or the unit in the SSKL, not to mention the Porsche 901 and the Testarossa. Looking forward to some of the future releases. Hopefully the Talbot-Lago and the Lancia D50. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed as much as me.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: All the CMC engines.

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:14 am

Very cool Wes. Great idea with the thread. How many motors have they released? 8?

StratosWRC

Re: All the CMC Engines

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:11 am

Yep just 8 so far. Wish they released all of them though

Kwando

Post by Kwando » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:10 am

Wow very nice! They look expensive lol

I would love to have a Ferrari V8 engine.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:17 am

Kwando wrote:Wow very nice! They look expensive lol

I would love to have a Ferrari V8 engine.
That would be nice, but probably won't happen until they build a relatively modern Ferrari with a V8. What's the earliest? I can't remember.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:50 am

Nice! Great idea to get the engines. Some of them are really tempting.

groupCin1.43

Post by groupCin1.43 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Now that is a very impressive collection, and complete as well. Congratulations! :okay:

That engine from the Auto Union C Type floats my boat. What's the time frame for it, 1935?

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:54 pm

groupCin1.43 wrote:Now that is a very impressive collection, and complete as well. Congratulations! :okay:

That engine from the Auto Union C Type floats my boat. What's the time frame for it, 1935?
Thanks!

Yep, it says 1936-37 on the box.

Guiddy

Post by Guiddy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:40 pm

That's a such a great thread, I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
I wanted to collect the Maserati 300S, chassis & engine but damn tax bill needed paying and I was made an offer I couldn't resist before I bought the final piece, the engine!

If they do the 250 Testarossa engine that would be perfect.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks! Doubt they'll make the Testa engine. They haven't released any engines since the DB4 GT, although the engine in the 250 GTO didn't looks good. Also, why not the flat six from the 901. Questions questions lol

Return to “CMC (Classic Model Cars)”