ACME 1970 AAR Plymouth Barracuda #42

GMP and ACME related news, headlines and general discussion.
Gavin

ACME 1970 AAR Plymouth Barracuda #42

Post by Gavin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:04 pm

I've been wanting a racing version of the Cuda/Challenger for a long time & was thrilled when ACME announced it. I'm sure its not perfect, but I love the way it looks & displays really well.

Some great history of the car from historictransam.com

This car (AAR chassis #50211) is the first of three Plymouth 'Cudas constructed by Dan Gurney's All American Racers (AAR) for competition in 1970 Trans-Am Championship. It was driven by Dan Gurney and Swede Savage during pre-season testing and used in all of AAR's and Chrysler's preseason promotional photographs.

It was driven by Dan Gurney in the first two races, then the rest of the Season by Swede Savage. Swede had 3 pole positions, a 2nd at Road America, and finished 5th in the driver's championship.

The car was acid dipped (then referred to as "chemically cleaned") and has many titanium parts that were carried over from Dan Gurney's Champ car & F1 efforts. The transmission was aluminum cased but sprayed with cast iron spray, to pass tech & the magnet test.

Gurney had intended to run a full season of Trans Am however budget cuts by Chrysler forced AAR to reduce its two car effort to a single car for Savage after Gurney had run just two races. Savage subsequently drove this 'Cuda for all of the remaing races of the season except Mid Ohio.

Plymouth finished fifth in the 1970 Trans-Am Championship with no wins and just 15 points, compared to Dodge’s 18 points (for fourth position). This car earned 12 of Plymouth’s 15 points.
Source: http://www.historictransam.com/Drivers/ ... uda42.html

With Highway61's street version of the 1970 AAR Cuda (ACME acquired this mold to make the racers & one would assume, more street cars).

[KRAFTIG]

Re: ACME 1970 AAR Plymouth Barracuda #42

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Not my cup of tea... But cool piece nonetheless!

Yeow Yi Fan

Post by Yeow Yi Fan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Definitely my cup of tea. :beer:

Hmm... I am surprised that the engine bay and motor of the street Cuda is much more detailed than the Trans Am racer's.
Did some research and found out that the actual racer does have a pretty (dare I say it) dull looking engine bay. :poke:

Always wanted a Cuda, just cannot decide between a stock version, this Trans Am racer or even the all black Trans Am street version. :shock:

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

Got both the Gurney and Savage. The models have flaws, however, notwithstanding, they represent one of the iconic eras in motorsport in the United States.

Imagewith Swede by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Jim...I love that pic. I was tempted by the Savage car, along with the Posey Challenger. Found a deal on the Gurney car, so couldn't pass it up.
Yeow Yi Fan wrote:Always wanted a Cuda, just cannot decide between a stock version, this Trans Am racer or even the all black Trans Am street version. :shock:
Hard to go wrong on any of them. I used to have the green '70 Hemi Cuda as well, though sold it.

Return to “GMP | ACME”