New Porsche 1/18 collector

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Post Reply
S4HCO
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:19 pm

New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by S4HCO » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Hello all,

New to this forum and well the diecast collector’s world. I've always had a passion and love for cars and spent the last 25 years working in the retail automotive industry mainly for Mercedes and BMW. 2 years ago, I suffered a stroke and could no longer work. Whilst keeping myself busy at home I found one of my old UT Models 993 Turbo model that I purchased circa 25-30 years ago. It got me thinking and well 2 years later I have slowly built the Porsche Turbo and GT RS evolution in 1/18 scale.

I've tried to build the collection sticking to AutoArt and MiniChamps however to get the right models in each evolution I have extended into KK Scale, GT Spirit, Norev and Solido.

Whilst working in the automotive industry I learnt about vehicle detailing and have applied my skill to my collection which is why they are all gleaming with mirror finish paintwork. I did have one issue :doh: on a rare dealer model of a 997 I managed to burn the lacquer/paint and messed up the roof. This model was very old, and it looked like the topcoat and base coat were mixed and then applied. Long and short of this mishap is I now own an Airbrush compressor, Spray booth and all the gizmo that come with having to respray a car. My wife wasn’t impressed however it’s something she knew would keep me occupied and out of trouble! I'll post pics of my progress so far in the right forum later.

That’s all from me for now and I’ll leave you with a glance of my collection.

S4HCO
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:19 pm

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by S4HCO » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:24 pm

My Porsche GT RS Collection

911
AUTOart 911 Carrera 2.7 RS Orange (78054)

930
GT Spirit 930 3.0 Carrera RS White with Gold wheels (GT223)

964
GT Spirit 964 Carrera 3.8 RS Guards Red (GT003CS)

993 (first GT2 introduced)
UT Models 993 Carrera RS Light Blue
UT Models 993 GT2 Yellow (27832)

996 (first time GT2/GT3 variations, and the first GT3 RS)
GT2
AUTOart 996 GT2 Silver
GT3 RS
2004 Dealer Edition AUTOart 996 GT3 RS White (WAP02160115)

997 (first GT2 RS and GT3 4.0 RS models)
GT2 RS
AUTOart 997.2 GT2 RS Black (77962)
GT3 RS
AUTOart 997.2 GT3 3.8 RS Grey (78142)
AUTOart 997.2 GT3 4.0 RS Viper Green (78149)

991 (introduction of the most extreme variations of the RS models)
GT2 RS
AUTOart 2019 991.2 GT2 RS GT Silver Weissach Pack
GT3 RS
Autoart 991.2 GT3 RS Crayon Grey (78180) pre-order

User avatar
[KRAFTIG]
.
.
Posts: 29850
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Hi, welcome to DS!

UT made some great stuff back in the day... I wish the pricing was the same today LOL :) I love the Porsche theme, as of today, my collection is 118 Porsches strong!

User avatar
Gavin
.
.
Posts: 4655
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am
Location: Columbus, OH...GO BUCKS!

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by Gavin » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:00 am

absolutely. Still love my UTs.

Porsche is my #1 as well, by a long shot....106 models, 20% of my collection.

User avatar
SPhilli911
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by SPhilli911 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Welcome! You have a nice collection, very similar to my own, as I collect various 911 RS and GT Porsche models. I am one model away from all RS models.
Gavin wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:00 am
absolutely. Still love my UTs.

Porsche is my #1 as well, by a long shot....106 models, 20% of my collection.
Gotta say, I'd be very curious to know what those 106 models are. You have me beat by a large margin, my Porsche collection seems so small in comparison. :lol:

Kraftig too, wow. How many models overall do you each have!?

User avatar
[KRAFTIG]
.
.
Posts: 29850
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm

I just added 669. I've been collecting since the early nineties. All are on display too :wall:

User avatar
SPhilli911
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by SPhilli911 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm
I just added 669. I've been collecting since the early nineties. All are on display too :wall:
That's wild, I'm envious! All on display is impressive, have you shared photos?

I got my first models back in the 90s, nothing special, was a few Maistos but I'd say I didn't become a serious collector until 2012, so I'm late to the game.

User avatar
[KRAFTIG]
.
.
Posts: 29850
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 am

SPhilli911 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm
[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm
I just added 669. I've been collecting since the early nineties. All are on display too :wall:
That's wild, I'm envious! All on display is impressive, have you shared photos?

I got my first models back in the 90s, nothing special, was a few Maistos but I'd say I didn't become a serious collector until 2012, so I'm late to the game.
Same here

Some old photos used here as DCOTM sample feature:

https://diecastsociety.com/gallery-view/sample-feature/

User avatar
Gavin
.
.
Posts: 4655
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am
Location: Columbus, OH...GO BUCKS!

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by Gavin » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:48 am

SPhilli911 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:18 pm
Gotta say, I'd be very curious to know what those 106 models are. You have me beat by a large margin, my Porsche collection seems so small in comparison. :lol:

Kraftig too, wow. How many models overall do you each have!?
I have 512. I've been collecting since the early-mid '80s with a few breaks.

here's my collection thread: http://www.diecastsociety.com/forums/vi ... n&start=30. It doesn't have all my Porsches, but just a taste. :okay:

User avatar
SPhilli911
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by SPhilli911 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:32 am

Awesome collections Kraftig and Gavin, I am especially jealous of the Porsches as I see some you each have that I have been after myself. Gavin, is the black 996 Turbo a Turbo S from Autoart?

I am hoping in the near future I can find a display solution, really not ideal to be a collector and leave all the models in a closet. :shame:

User avatar
[KRAFTIG]
.
.
Posts: 29850
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 pm

I am hoping in the near future I can find a display solution, really not ideal to be a collector and leave all the models in a closet./quote]

Yes, you definitely these to enjoy them. To this day I don't understand why people collect not to display. If its space, I would find another hobby. Life is too short not to enjoy them :okay:

User avatar
SPhilli911
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by SPhilli911 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:52 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 pm
I am hoping in the near future I can find a display solution, really not ideal to be a collector and leave all the models in a closet./quote]

Yes, you definitely these to enjoy them. To this day I don't understand why people collect not to display. If its space, I would find another hobby. Life is too short not to enjoy them :okay:
It's not so much the space or that I don't want to display them or anything, just recently moved and haven't gotten around to getting new display cabinets. I had them all on display at my previous place, in Ikea Detolf glass cabinets, which I wasn't a big fan of.

User avatar
Gavin
.
.
Posts: 4655
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am
Location: Columbus, OH...GO BUCKS!

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by Gavin » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:11 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:32 am
Awesome collections Kraftig and Gavin, I am especially jealous of the Porsches as I see some you each have that I have been after myself. Gavin, is the black 996 Turbo a Turbo S from Autoart?
Thanks!

That black 996 isn't an S, just a Turbo. AA did the Turbo S as a Dealer Edition, only available in a VERY dark green. Had the chance to buy it many years ago from a buddy, but the differences between a 996 Turbo & Turbo S are close to minimal (yellow PCCB calipers, is the only thing that really stood out to me, other than the color).

Image
Image

User avatar
[KRAFTIG]
.
.
Posts: 29850
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:37 pm

SPhilli911 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:52 pm
[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 pm
I am hoping in the near future I can find a display solution, really not ideal to be a collector and leave all the models in a closet./quote]

Yes, you definitely these to enjoy them. To this day I don't understand why people collect not to display. If its space, I would find another hobby. Life is too short not to enjoy them :okay:
It's not so much the space or that I don't want to display them or anything, just recently moved and haven't gotten around to getting new display cabinets. I had them all on display at my previous place, in Ikea Detolf glass cabinets, which I wasn't a big fan of.
I have a combination of Ikea Billy and custom cabinets. The Billy's are good if you have the extra $ upgrade to glass shelves.

User avatar
SPhilli911
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: New Porsche 1/18 collector

Post by SPhilli911 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Gavin wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:11 pm
SPhilli911 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:32 am
Awesome collections Kraftig and Gavin, I am especially jealous of the Porsches as I see some you each have that I have been after myself. Gavin, is the black 996 Turbo a Turbo S from Autoart?
Thanks!

That black 996 isn't an S, just a Turbo. AA did the Turbo S as a Dealer Edition, only available in a VERY dark green. Had the chance to buy it many years ago from a buddy, but the differences between a 996 Turbo & Turbo S are close to minimal (yellow PCCB calipers, is the only thing that really stood out to me, other than the color).
Very cool! Was hard to see in pictures if it was the Turbo or Turbo S (don't remember if the S had the beige interior or not). I've only seen the S pop up on Ebay once before, but I too have the standard Turbo and that's just fine.

Post Reply

Return to “New Member Introductions”