Hello from London

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Chasmal

Hello from London

Post by Chasmal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:01 am

Hello Everyone

I am very happy to have found this forum and look forward to making a contribution to it.

I have been collecting 1/18 scale since the early 1990s, essentially bburago models such the F40, EB110 and Dodge Vipers and my collection remained modest. Since that time however, I have added according to various themes and now have over 200 models with plans to buy more...

My motivations are marque devotion and/or nostalgia. Mostly my models are linked to a favoured manufacturer (Porsche up until the early 1990s) or are linked to a specific memory or time in my life. My collection is quite broad and hopefully soon I will be able to show it to you. I decided 6 months ago to build a display cabinet to house the collection and I am in the final stages of its completion. It is rather large, as I wanted the models to have some space between them and as a result the cabinet is about 7 metres wide, by a 1 metre high with a depth of 60 centimetres. When the project is completed, I will post photographs.

I plan to write some reviews as well, because some of the cars in my collection I have owned in real life and therefore am in a good position to comment. The ownership of the real thing comes from the fact that in my earlier years I restored classic cars as a hobby. My first was a Porsche 356C and then later, an Aston Martin AM V8. I later reached the conclusion that 1/18 models are cheaper and less risky

My all time favourite car is the Porsche 917, examples of which occupy much of my collection along with other Porsches, from the Type 64 VW through to the Porsche 962. I have other favoured marques, such as Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.

I have a question for you. Can anyone help me out with a front screen for a 1/18 Porsche 956? I cannot seem to find one for sale and Minichamps were unresponsive to my enquiry.

Best

Chasmal

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hello from London

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:32 am

Hi Chasmal, welcome to DS!

That is a massive display, 22 plus feet long! :wow: We'll at least you will have space! Personally, I've run out and for the first time EVER I've been keeping models in boxes, that's a big no no with me :tut: I want to enjoy my collection, hopefully, this first-world problem will be rectified by fall. I can't wait to see it! Also, consider the DCOTM feature, link here:

https://diecastsociety.com/dcotm-candid ... uirements/

Sorry, I can't help with the missing Porsche part.

Chasmal

Post by Chasmal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi Kraftig

The first version of the display was just over 18 ft long with 3 levels. However, when I set out the cars, many of them, especially Porsches of the 40's to the late 1960s were far too cramped. So I am adding a further 8 ft section to space things out better and accommodate some extra and planned purchases. I am hoping that all will be done in about a months time. Its not only a display, but its a diorama as well of an impossibly well stocked car museum. I wanted to give the display some life and drama, so it will include some figures as well as building frontage to hide plug sockets and lighting transformers...

The window I am going to have to cast myself, which might make an interesting article...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 pm

Wow, that sounds very impressive! More space is always welcomed. Please post some pics when compete!!

BRN9121

Post by BRN9121 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 am

That's brilliant mate, welcome to the family.
I lived in London for a while and have a place in Kensington

Chasmal

Post by Chasmal » Fri May 13, 2022 3:27 am

Hi BRN9121

I am adding the third extension now. Hopefully some photos soon. It never stops ....

Return to “New Member Introductions”