Hello from the North Eastern US and questions.

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
IDontKnow48

Hello from the North Eastern US and questions.

Post by IDontKnow48 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Hello
I am a new collector who has only been collecting for some 6-12 months. I decided to create an account because I find this hobby a little bit difficult to pursue. As far as I can tell small hobby shops especially in the US have been disappearing since before I was even born. It is not easy to find anything I want to collect without resorting to ebay where just shipping is often some $50 from Hong Kong. I also am a bit fuzzy on what brands do what. For example until not too long ago I was under the impression that autoart was full metal vehicles rather than the composite that I now know it is so I have a few questions on some specific models as well. So my questions is where is a good place to purchase (mainly 1:18 scale) models especially in the north eastern US? Also what brands are still doing diecast metal vehicles with opening features?

I also have a few more questions about a specific display I want to make. I want to have the "Holy Trinity" of the Porsche 918, Mclaren P1 and Ferrari LaFerrari plus the precursors to those vehicles, the Porsche 959, Mclaren F1 and Ferrari F40. Ideally both porsches would be silver, both Mclarens orange and both Ferraris red. I also would prefer to get diecast metal cars vs resin or composite. While most of my models are really budget and honestly most of you would consider them no more than toys I do want these to be nicer models. This is what I am looking at as of now:

Porsche 918: Looking towards the Autoart 918 Weissach package in silver. I wanna be sure this exists though as most listings are for 1:12 though I have seen a couple claiming to be 1:18.
Mclaren P1: I'm looking at the TSM Mclaren P1 especially the dealer edition model as I like the orange with the dark wheels.
Ferrari LaFerrari: I am looking at the Hot Wheels Elite LaFerrari. This hypothetically should be the cheapest model in the set of 6 and that's part of why I want that specific model. Its good enough for me and not too too expensive.
Porsche 959: I am really looking for the Autoart 959 in silver. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe this to be a full metal model. Based on a lot of the ebay sold listings I am hoping this one will not be a huge amount of money.
Mclaren F1: This is one I am really struggling with. I haven't seen a good orange road car so I am kind of looking at the Autoart F1 LM. My other option is to wait on LCD models and hope they release the F1 road car in orange but I have no idea where to get information on LCD models much less where to buy the actual models.
Ferrari F40: I am looking at the Kyosho diecast F40 but I am worried I will end up accidentally buying the sealed resin version. Any advice for identifying the diecast one vs the resin one?

So overall with those cars my questions are where can I get them and does anyone here have any other recommendations for different model brands for those cars? Apologies if this should have been asked elsewhere and thanks for having me. I'm excited to be here.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hello from the North Eastern US and questions.

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi, welcome to DS! Use the search to find answers to questions.

As for where to buy, check out the site sponsors. Good peeps here:

https://diecastsociety.com/sponsor-websites/

As for brands driving metal and full or partial access, some include Solido, LCD Models, Almost Real, GreenLight, ST Well and KengFai. I'm sure there are more!

Anything that is out of production, and I believe your want list fits the bill is going to cost you a pretty penny. Supply and demand = :money: :money: Either you wait for the manufacturer to re-introduce the mould in new production or spend the extra cash. Patience is key in this hobby, use it! Good luck! :okay:

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:49 pm

welcome to DS.

As KRAFTIG mentions, most of the models you're searching for are out of production, so Ebay will be your best source.

Welly makes the 918 in silver, I believe....or at least its a dark silver. I have it in white & its pretty good, though only the doors open.

The AA 959 is indeed diecast.

The Hot Wheels Elite La Ferrari was reasonably priced at one point, but those days are long gone. It was one of the last Hot Wheels Elite made, if I remember right, before they lost the Ferrari license.

The Kyosho F40 is excellent, but looks out for paint rash.

SuperBee

Post by SuperBee » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:14 pm

Hello and welcome to DS. Also welcome for me, I joined in 2013 and never send a message till now.

For Kyosho F40, the resin version sold as MARK model and both Kyosho and MARK logos on the black box. The Resin ones does not have F40 photo on the box. Just plain outer box. The older diecst version has F40 photo on the box and red coloring on it.

Return to “New Member Introductions”