Hello from Delaware

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Malby66

Hello from Delaware

Post by Malby66 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am

Hello everyone! My name is Mike and I recently got back into the diecast world about a year ago. Started my collecting journey about 10-15 years ago but being a huge sports fan gave up the hobby for sports cards. Since returning, I started with Hot Wheels and Matchbox but have recently transitioned into collecting premium diecast like Inno, Ignition, Tarmac, Mini GT, etc. Due to space limitations I collect mostly 1/64 scale. I'm feeling my way around the premium market right now trying to obtain a few cars from different manufacturers to get an idea on what I like best. So far I'm collecting pick-up trucks (Hot Wheels/Matchbox), 60s and 70s muscle cars (Hot Wheels/Matchbox/Auto World), and JDM. I really like the GT-R and Supra castings that Inno and Mini GT offer.

Hoping to meet some fellow collectors here, see what everyone is collecting to get some ideas, and look at some reviews of brands I may be interested in. As always, any recommendations are appreciated.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hello from Delaware

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:47 am

Hi Mike, welcome to DS!

DisposableApple

Post by DisposableApple » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:05 am

Hello. I collect 1/64 scale as well. I exclusively collect Tomica Limited Vintage and Hot Wheels Premium. I find other brands especially Mini GT tempting as well but I'm afraid I won't be able to stop myself if I start 😅

Malby66

Post by Malby66 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:53 am

I really want to start adding some Tomica Limited Vintage to my collection. i just don't know where to start or where to look. You're right, once you get one it just snowballs from there.

yellowcamaro

Post by yellowcamaro » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:10 am

Welcome to the club, Mike! Hotwheels/ Matchbox can still surprise you given how good some castings are at their price points. Details have certainly improved. As for Tomica Limited Vintage (TLV)- it's their F40 that got me noticing the brand. Having said that, do check out Peako x PGM's F40 with opening everything - I don't think they're licensed though! That's the biggest pet peeve with some of these Asian brands.

But I would say at least 80% of the time, there's a MiniGT for your need. They've fast become the GT Spirit of the 1:64 world - started off with JDM cars but now cater to almost every taste (Euro luxury/ sports models- Alpina included). No Ferrari license yet (can't come soon enough). They've got Fords but no GM/ Chrysler.. Once they get that they'll have American performance covered as well - so really MiniGT could turn out to be the default 1:64 brand just like Hotwheels is at the affordable end of the market.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:08 am

They've fast become the GT Spirit of the 1:64 world
I agree. They are spitting out models faster than anyone. :doh:

DisposableApple

Post by DisposableApple » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Malby66 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:53 am
I really want to start adding some Tomica Limited Vintage to my collection. i just don't know where to start or where to look.
yellowcamaro wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:10 am
As for Tomica Limited Vintage (TLV)- it's their F40 that got me noticing the brand.
Cop a F40 (or more) first and foremost as they're steadily increasing in price. Then I'd recommend moving onto Germans.

Return to “New Member Introductions”