Greetings from Indianapolis

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Davey51

Greetings from Indianapolis

Post by Davey51 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:43 pm

Hey, everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

I wanted to pop in and say hi. I must admit, I'm a total novice when it comes to diecasts. I collect certain ones that mean something to me. I'm a big NASCAR guy so a lot of my collection is from the 1990's.

I'm hopping in mainly for some questions on paint for a custom job. An artist friend of mine is willing to take a diecast and make some alterations to it. I'm merely reaching out to see if anyone has suggestions on where to look for the paint itself.

THE SPECIFICS:

I'm a big Dale Jarrett fan. I have most of his diecasts from his memorable wins. The one I'm looking to get is his 2000 Daytona 500-winning car. They obviously made the 2000 Dale Jarrett diecast, but it didn't come with that race's No Bull 5 add-ons in the red spoiler, front valance, and the team itself used the same color for grill tape.

I'm looking for the specific color of said No Bull Red. It's that weird red/orange/pink color you've seen on Mario's 1969-winning Indy 500 car, and Jeff Gordon's DuPont machine. I've attached a picture of DJ from that race for reference.

If anyone has an idea as to the specific shade of red to look for, and maybe even where to find said red, I'd definitely appreciate it! I've always referred to it as Day-Glo or Racing red, but I feel like none of those are the correct shades/terminology.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Greetings from Indianapolis

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:09 am

Hi, welcome to DS! Sorry, I can't help with the paint, though there are others here that can possibly help.

Racer 6c

Re: Greetings from Indianapolis

Post by Racer 6c » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:01 am

Hello! Welcome to the forums from another Indianapolis-ish collector.

I wish I could help you more with your search for the right paint color. I have always called the color on the cars fluorescent orange. It might be a little more red though.

Have you tried a hobby shop to look for paint? Hobbytown USA in the greenwood area used to have(I haven’t been there in a couple of years) a nice selection of model paints. I purchased some fluorescent paint there years ago for a classic Marlboro color. I know Hobby Lobby also has some paint selection in their scale model department.

Hopefully you can find something in town to match. I hope this helps you out.

Return to “New Member Introductions”