Grandpa Needs Help

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Grandpa Lee

Grandpa Needs Help

Post by Grandpa Lee » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:04 am

Hi Everyone, Grandpa Lee from Washington State.

I need so advise about a die cast car collection. My neighbor is going into an assisted living community. She asked me to take her late husband's die cast car collection and sell them for her. She said there is over 40 cars wrapped in paper and stored in three plastic tubs. I know nothing about how to sell these cars. So far I have unwrapped 6 or 7 cars and most of them are damaged. The damage range from one or two items missing up to one car that is a basket case

I just unwrapped a 1:18 1932 Cadillac V-16 Phaeton. It is another parts car. it is missing driver wind shield, one head light, mirror on left spare tire broken, hood ornament broken, two holes in front bumper for something maybe lights. This is an example of several 1:18 scale cars from the 1930 that I unwrapped.

Do these parts cars have any value to anyone?

I am sure I will find cars in good shape, how shall I sell them? (ebay, etsy, or is there another better place to list them)

I want to get as much money for my neighbor as I can. She only has social security income and can use any money I come up with.

Thank you for any advice and help you can give me.

Take care and God Bless,

Lee

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Grandpa Needs Help

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:31 am

Hi, welcome to the DS! Here's my two cents...

Avoid eBay like the plague! You can use it as a reference for what a similar model SOLD FOR. NOT what it is currently listed as...

Based on what I read there is damage, and damage in this sobby is no no and de-values the product considerably depending on the level. Though if the model is rare sometimes this is overlooked... This example "1:18 1932 Cadillac V-16 Phaeton" seems to come from Auto World about $100 new.
Do these parts cars have any value to anyone?
Yes and no... If rare piece possibly...

My advice is local classifieds or garage sale and sell as a group, as is. Though do a little research based on my points above. GL!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:31 pm

I wouldn't say avoid ebay like the plague, just be aware that it's a bit of a learning curve if you never used it to sell anything. You have to take pictures, post a detailed description outlining as many of the flaws as possible. Then have the box ready cause you have to enter a shipping service, dimensions and weight of the box. Also keep in mind that about 10-15% of the selling price will go to ebay selling fees. In the sales settings you can block countries if you only wish to sell to US/North America/Europe etc.

Grandpa Lee

Post by Grandpa Lee » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:45 am

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I think I will try Craigslist to sell them. It sounds like shipping them may be a hassle making sure they don't get more damaged in shipping. Also if the cars do not sell for much money the ebay fees may not make it worth listing.

My wife suggested that some of them may look nice in the flower gardens around the yard as yard art. I may take pictures and send them in to show how they look.

She said I should mount one of them on top of our mail box. I don't know how they would stand up in the weather.

I want to thank both of you for answering my questions.

God Bless

Lee

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:52 am

Wise decision Lee, and the best one In my opinion. Good luck!

Return to “New Member Introductions”