Hello from Germany

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Christian

Hello from Germany

Post by Christian » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello,

my name is Christian and I'm from Germany. I'm crazy about cars since I can remember (like most of the DS members, I guess). I'm collecting diecast for about ten years.

It all has begun with collecting models of Mercedes street cars of the post-war period (the chrome-era 1945-1985). Later I extended my collection to Porsche. I 'd like to have a model of every racing car, that Porsche has ever developed - from the oldest, the 356 Light Metal Coupe, to the newest, the 997 GT3 Hybrid 2.0. These are approximately 120 different types up to now. With the Porsche-collection I started to buy 1/18 scale, too.

But unfortunatly I'm addicted to cars and there a too many great cars from other makers all over the world. I'm a huge fan of Muscle Cars for example. And so I continued buying and buying and...

But I try to rein myself now. Not only because the prices have fastly risen but also my personal space for these little cars gets smaller and smaller. And after all buying twice as much models doesn't mean enjoying this hobby twice as much, does it?

Saldly I can't show you my model-collection in a few pics, because I don't have it on display. But I'm planning to show some of my new and interesting models step by step.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Hello Christian, welcome to DS! You make a lot of good points and observations...
But unfortunatly I'm addicted to cars and there a too many great cars from other makers all over the world.
I truly understand, so many cars where does one start or end? I decided to collect certain themes; Exotic, European, concepts. I once collected livery/racing cars but it was getting out of hand, so I nipped in the bud before it grew. It was a hard decision to sell most of my livery cars.
after all buying twice as much models doesn't mean enjoying this hobby twice as much, does it?
No it does not, I get most gratification when I spread out purchases or find that elusive model. When they all come in at once (I've been party to it on a few occasions) buyers remorse sets in, I questions my buying habits, the hobby, etc :doh:

Christian

Post by Christian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks a lot!
[KRAFTIG] wrote: I get most gratification when I spread out purchases or find that elusive model. When they all come in at once (I've been party to it on a few occasions) buyers remorse sets in
That's so true. That reminds me of a good song from Motorhead „The chase is better than the catch“ (although I'm not sure if they had diecast collectors in their minds, when they wrote the lyrics ;) ). Sometimes I like a model the most in the moment just before I hit the „buy now“ button, but I have to hold it in my own hands first before I can realise, that this was not really a must-have. And it calms me, that other collectors have the same doubts sometimes.

My personal tactic: after the toyfair in Nuremberg I make a wishlist. It doesn't work always perfectly, but it in general it helps me to focus on the models I really like to have.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 pm

That reminds me of a good song from Motorhead „The chase is better than the catch“
LOL, great song :lol:

Hey Christian if you plan on attending this year's Toy fair please take a lot of photos for me to share with others diecast members. I will host them for you. Thanks. :deal:

Christian

Post by Christian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm sorry Kraftig, but I won't visit the Toy Fair because it's only for qualified visitors or at least people with good connections and an accreditation. And I'm none of the two. And in addition It's a huge fair with only a very small part (diecast), the would be interesting for me. It trip to Nuremberg wouldn't pay off for me. But I hope you get some informations and pics from the fair.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Christian wrote:I'm sorry Kraftig, but I won't visit the Toy Fair because it's only for qualified visitors or at least people with good connections and an accreditation. And I'm none of the two. And in addition It's a huge fair with only a very small part (diecast), the would be interesting for me. It trip to Nuremberg wouldn't pay off for me. But I hope you get some informations and pics from the fair.
Maybe I jumped the gun, but thank you.

franklemire

Post by franklemire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Every Porsche race car is a pretty steep hill to climb - good luck!

Return to “New Member Introductions”