New from the U.S.

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
SPhilli911

New from the U.S.

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am

Hello everyone! I’ve just joined after browsing this site for some ideas on model display cabinets, figured I’d introduce myself. My name is Sean and I am from Connecticut in the U.S. and I’ve been into model cars since I was a kid (first ever model being a Maisto Jaguar XJ220 in 1/18), but only recently began collecting seriously. I have two specific collections, one that I consider complete and the other is ongoing. The first being a 1/43 scale rally car collection, something around 40-50 cars, but that’s all done, I got all the cars I wanted. The second collection is 1/18 scale Porsche 911s (GT2s, GT3s, RSs, and Turbos only) from Spark, Autoart, Norev, Exoto, GT Spirit, Minichamps and UT. I have 48 cars and counting, including duplicates. Oh and a 1/18 Kyosho Ferrari F40.

Unfortunately, all the Porsches are in boxes and I have never displayed all of them before. I’d like to change that since it would be nice to see all the cars I bought! My place can be dusty though. Gonna make a trip to Ikea one of these days, maybe find something worth getting. The “Billy” cabinets look like a good candidate so far. Anyways, look forward to being here. Will post some pictures sometime.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: New from the U.S.

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 am

Hi, welcome to DS!

Billy's are great! By adding to foam weather stripping you can make them almost dust free.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Hi, welcome to DS!

Billy's are great! By adding to foam weather stripping you can make them almost dust free.
Thanks!

I noticed you had Billy cabinets in another thread. Question about them if you don't mind... can I add shelves? I see that I can buy additional shelves from Ikea, but is the cabinet able to accept more? As in, are there drilled holes already?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm

You can add as many shelves are you wish, but you need to drill the holes to support them. I switched to all glass, I think I'm running 10-12 shelves in each.

Return to “New Member Introductions”